Consider banning politics

Started by bwv 1080, February 07, 2019, 04:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

greg

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 17, 2020, 09:14:51 AM
You just did.

8)
Oh, are we playing baby games?  :)
So it's okay to post it on the US politics thread without it getting deleted? And how am I to know what is 'questionable' is so... abnormal?

But even if it doesn't get deleted, how am I to know it's because of me talking about it, so mods don't delete as a matter of "proving" they are consistent?

Obviously that statement is something I strongly don't believe.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Mirror Image

GMG members arguing with GMG moderators about their decision to impose a guideline on the US politics thread? How did I not see this coming? Oh wait, I did. ::)

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 17, 2020, 10:28:25 AM
GMG members arguing with GMG moderators about their decision to impose a guideline on the US politics thread? How did I not see this coming? Oh wait, I did. ::)
You're right.

When people rule by emotion chaos ensues. Other people's emotions are unpredictable and hard to guess. So it becomes pointless to even do anything.

Rule by solid rules and logic and there is much less room for debate. Things become more consistent. If someone does wrong, they know it beforehand so if they are punished they will know why.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: greg on June 17, 2020, 09:21:24 AM
Oh, are we playing baby games?  :)
So it's okay to post it on the US politics thread without it getting deleted? And how am I to know what is 'questionable' is so... abnormal?

But even if it doesn't get deleted, how am I to know it's because of me talking about it, so mods don't delete as a matter of "proving" they are consistent?

Obviously that statement is something I strongly don't believe.

Someone here clearly is. You asked a question, you got an answer. You've taken the tiny molehill and are attempting to build a mountain out of it. I'm pleased that you don't believe in that. Neither do I, which is why I didn't introduce it into the conversation...

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

JBS

[Opens thread.]

[Reads most recent posts.]

[Realizes his initial decision to skip this thread was a very good decision.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

greg

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 17, 2020, 12:21:12 PM
Someone here clearly is. You asked a question, you got an answer. You've taken the tiny molehill and are attempting to build a mountain out of it. I'm pleased that you don't believe in that. Neither do I, which is why I didn't introduce it into the conversation...

8)
I would hope that wasn't even suspected by me saying that.

If people are not seeing what I'm doing (making examples, using comparisons to make a point), then I just give up on communication. Apparently people just don't have the slightest clue on how to read between the lines? Idk...

If anyone still doesn't understand, I primarily advocate for light moderation, only taking action in more extreme cases. If it is impossible, then banning politics is the next best option. The worst out of the three is allowing discussion but silencing anything at whim. Even worse is silencing at whim less controversial posts, but allowing more controversial posts. If you view it as a timeline, that's exactly how this has played out.

No one has to do anything. But I just wanted to communicate that message.

Madiel

Greg, what you're doing is insisting the decision to delete your post MUST have been wrong.

Because you made some kind of joke that you perceive as harmless.

Someone else didn't perceive it as harmless. Okay? The moderators are not obliged to agree with your own ranking of what's controversial and what's not. It's not objective.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

greg

Quote from: Madiel on June 17, 2020, 02:47:20 PM
Greg, what you're doing is insisting the decision to delete your post MUST have been wrong.

Because you made some kind of joke that you perceive as harmless.

Someone else didn't perceive it as harmless. Okay? The moderators are not obliged to agree with your own ranking of what's controversial and what's not. It's not objective.
I just said they don't have to do anything.

But how am I supposed to know what I'm allowed to say if that is considered harmful, yet "Stalin didn't kill enough people" is okay?

They can make decisions by purely subjective emotion, but I just want to make clear that that never ends well. That's purely "Might is Right" thinking.

Madiel

Quote from: greg on June 17, 2020, 02:53:46 PM
I just said they don't have to do anything.

But how am I supposed to know what I'm allowed to say if that is considered harmful, yet "Stalin didn't kill enough people" is okay?

They can make decisions by purely subjective emotion, but I just want to make clear that that never ends well. That's purely "Might is Right" thinking.

It's not purely subjective. Guidelines were posted. Stop acting like you're not smart enough to learn the boundaries, and take some responsibility for LEARNING instead of acting like the first time you stuffed up negated the entire system.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: greg on June 14, 2020, 08:52:31 AM
Was my post deleted without explanation or is it just my imagination?

I don't care how it was perceived, technically it was still on topic. There was a point to it, if someone can't see the point then that's completely their fault for lack of understanding.  ::)

The fact that you had to resort to claiming you were 'technically' on topic as your starting point tells me a lot.

And the guidelines are not simply about being 'on topic'.

greg

Quote from: Madiel on June 17, 2020, 02:57:13 PM
It's not purely subjective. Guidelines were posted. Stop acting like you're not smart enough to learn the boundaries, and take some responsibility for LEARNING instead of acting like the first time you stuffed up negated the entire system.
Acting? I'm 100% real. What are the boundaries? How in the world is promoting genocide further from the boundaries than joking about identifying as another race?

Quote from: Madiel on June 17, 2020, 03:02:07 PM
The fact that you had to resort to claiming you were 'technically' on topic as your starting point tells me a lot.

And the guidelines are not simply about being 'on topic'.
That's just me trying to figure out the actual reason why my post was deleted. Obviously no one can give a concrete reason why it was deleted other than it being "questionable," a purely subjective term.

Madiel

The fact that you don't understand how a joke about race can be questioned as being in poor taste is not doing you any favours. Maybe in your part of the world jokes about race are generally accepted. These days, they are not acceptable to a lot of people. Guess one of the moderators must be one such person.

greg

Quote from: Madiel on June 17, 2020, 03:08:31 PM
The fact that you don't understand how a joke about race can be questioned as being in poor taste is not doing you any favours. Maybe in your part of the world jokes about race are generally accepted. These days, they are not acceptable to a lot of people. Guess one of the moderators must be one such person.
Maybe it should be made explicitly clear then? Because if it isn't, it's very confusing. In other places it may be slightly edgy, but acceptable, and I have no idea what the mods' political/moral feelings are.

Though it's very questionable about a moderator's sense of morality if that's worse than seriously supporting genocide. Just saying.

(And in case anyone doesn't get the point of that post, it's a joke on being able to identify as something that one isn't, and getting the government to assist in that. Not even in the same league as an actual racist joke, for example- not trying to belittle races or anything like that, just trying point out the absurdity of two conflicting ideas).

Karl Henning

There is so much else in the wide world in which to find amusement.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

greg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 17, 2020, 03:15:08 PM
There is so much else in the wide world in which to find amusement.
True.

Being stuck at home working doesn't help the desire to post here, but obviously it's a waste of time. A better distraction could be nice.

Madiel

Quote from: greg on June 17, 2020, 03:14:33 PM
Maybe it should be made explicitly clear then? Because if it isn't, it's very confusing. In other places it may be slightly edgy, but acceptable, and I have no idea what the mods' political/moral feelings are.

Though it's very questionable about a moderator's sense of morality if that's worse than seriously supporting genocide. Just saying.

(And in case anyone doesn't get the point of that post, it's a joke on being able to identify as something that one isn't, and getting the government to assist in that. Not even in the same league as an actual racist joke, for example- not trying to belittle races or anything like that, just trying point out the absurdity of two conflicting ideas).

So you decided to be 'slightly edgy' in a place where questionable posts would be deleted. And you find that confusing?

You can figure it out Sherlock.

And stop comparing other posts to yours. I'm trying to get you to compare your post to the guidelines. Focus on your own posting behaviour. 

greg

Quote from: Madiel on June 17, 2020, 04:24:43 PM
So you decided to be 'slightly edgy' in a place where questionable posts would be deleted. And you find that confusing?

You can figure it out Sherlock.

And stop comparing other posts to yours. I'm trying to get you to compare your post to the guidelines. Focus on your own posting behaviour.
I just didn't know how low the bar would be set.

I still don't understand how low the bar is set if that post is allowed but mine isn't. So I guess it is set very low for me but not for some others. Oh well.

Madiel

Quote from: greg on June 17, 2020, 04:36:05 PM
I just didn't know how low the bar would be set.

I still don't understand how low the bar is set if that post is allowed but mine isn't. So I guess it is set very low for me but not for some others. Oh well.

Or I guess it could be that making light of the long history of discrimination against blacks at this particular point in time, as protests happen all over the world, is more of a sensitive issue at the moment than you think it is??

Honestly. Have you actually paid ANY attention to what's going on in your country right now? And not just your country. There are protests in Europe and Australia as well, at least.

Without having seen the actual text of your post I don't know exactly what I'd think of it. But I suspect that trivialising reparations would have at least generated a physical eye-roll, I probably wouldn't have bothered with an emoji one.

And I certainly wouldn't have thought that suggesting white people claim to be black in order to get money was adding anything meaningful to the discussion. In fact you seem to be acknowledging that you weren't even TRYING to add something meaningful to the discussion. And yet you still don't see a possible reason why your post was removed.

greg

Quote from: Madiel on June 17, 2020, 05:37:38 PM
Or I guess it could be that making light of the long history of discrimination against blacks at this particular point in time, as protests happen all over the world, is more of a sensitive issue at the moment than you think it is??
Nowhere am I making light of discrimination. If the mods think that, then that's their misinterpretation.

I already said what I mean by it.

Honestly. Have you actually paid ANY attention to what's going on in your country right now? And not just your country. There are protests in Europe and Australia as well, at least.
So I guess current events changes the validity and meaning of my point? Nope. I'm only concerned with timeless truths and logic. Not temporary collective feelings of the world.

Without having seen the actual text of your post I don't know exactly what I'd think of it. But I suspect that trivialising reparations would have at least generated a physical eye-roll, I probably wouldn't have bothered with an emoji one.
Reparations is an abomination, definitely worth ridicule. It's extremely racist towards both white and black people.