Happy 50th to the Boeing 747, Queen of the Skies!

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, February 09, 2019, 02:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks for the comments. Despite all the carp that goes along with it, I still enjoy flying in some respects. The whole thing is still quite amazing to me. Even in the terminal, for me there is a certain beauty and calming effect in watching airport operations, GSE, aircraft landings and takeoffs, jetbridges, etc. But certainly, despite the greater efficiency and safety and other improvements, the good old days of commercial aviation are long gone!
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Christabel

I see from media reports that after the current Emirates order of 14 new A380s is completed Airbus is ceasing production altogether of this magnificent aircraft.

drogulus

Quote from: Christabel on February 14, 2019, 08:20:08 AM
I see from media reports that after the current Emirates order of 14 new A380s is completed Airbus is ceasing production altogether of this magnificent aircraft.

Yes, I saw that. The economics doesn't work for superjumbo planes. The 787 is more efficient and flies just as far.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

The plane I most enjoy these days is the Embraer 145. It has 3 seats across, so it's comfortable for such a little plane.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

XB-70 Valkyrie

I always tried to get on a 767 whenever I could, as its 2+3+2 was the best in my experience. When my wife and I fly together transatlantic I prefer Airbus, because on most airlines the configuration has two seats by the window--hence no middle seat to deal with. For shorter trips, the DC-9/MD-80 series had the same deal (2+3). Some of the RJs and props are comfortable--Bombardier Dash -8 is not too bad. Their CRJs are very cramped however.

Last three rows of a 753 are basically hell...

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Christabel on February 14, 2019, 08:20:08 AM

Have you flown on one? Which are the best seats in economy? We may be on Air France out of HELL A X later this year. Any advice?

vandermolen

As part of their centenary celebrations British Airways have painted one of their 747 aircraft in the old BOAC livery - a lovely idea. The BOAC livery was last seen 40 years ago. BOAC and BEA joined together to form British Airways.
If you tap on 'image' you get a nice large version of the airplane:

Here it is arriving at Heathrow:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r773ZhIBlsY
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

NikF4

Quote from: vandermolen on February 18, 2019, 02:13:04 PM
As part of their centenary celebrations British Airways have painted one of their 747 aircraft in the old BOAC livery - a lovely idea. The BOAC livery was last seen 40 years ago. BOAC and BEA joined together to form British Airways.
If you tap on 'image' you get a nice large version of the airplane:

Here it is arriving at Heathrow:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r773ZhIBlsY

That livery appears old school kind of cool.

An aside: when my little street urchin friends and I were at primary school - that would be up to about 11 or 12 years old? - one of the us had an Airfix model catalogue that was sans staples and so heavy on sellotape as a result of being frequently passed round and pored over. Typical...we couldn't afford the models (I'll just get the '...and that's the reason I chose fashion photography as a career' joke out of the way right now ;D) but the catalogue itself was in reach. Something as simple as pages of the charming artwork that adorned the kit boxes was exotic, perhaps even escapism with names such as Lufthansa, Air France, Aer Lingus etc. And then the WWII and before aircraft and dioramas, plastic soldiers that one of the guys studied so well he could could recognise and name the weapons they were carrying. I've never been one for scale model railways and radio controlled aircraft and such, but can understand the strong allure they hold for some. :)

vandermolen

Quote from: NikF4 on February 25, 2019, 02:08:02 AM
That livery appears old school kind of cool.

An aside: when my little street urchin friends and I were at primary school - that would be up to about 11 or 12 years old? - one of the us had an Airfix model catalogue that was sans staples and so heavy on sellotape as a result of being frequently passed round and pored over. Typical...we couldn't afford the models (I'll just get the '...and that's the reason I chose fashion photography as a career' joke out of the way right now ;D) but the catalogue itself was in reach. Something as simple as pages of the charming artwork that adorned the kit boxes was exotic, perhaps even escapism with names such as Lufthansa, Air France, Aer Lingus etc. And then the WWII and before aircraft and dioramas, plastic soldiers that one of the guys studied so well he could could recognise and name the weapons they were carrying. I've never been one for scale model railways and radio controlled aircraft and such, but can understand the strong allure they hold for some. :)

I can understand the appeal of that. Things like the glossy Hyperion CD catalogue had an appeal of sorts as the artwork was so good. I made the Airfix kits too. I'm pleased to hear that you were in a group of street urchins - makes you sound like someone out of 'Les Miserables'  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

NikF4

Quote from: vandermolen on February 25, 2019, 02:24:49 AM

I'm pleased to hear that you were in a group of street urchins - makes you sound like someone out of 'Les Miserables'  8)

I wish I'd ever been so I innocent. ;D
Two things from my upbringing that might put it a little into perspective -
1) to this day while I have sympathy for 'fussy eaters' I loathe to see food wasted.
2) my lifelong search for a Shani Wallis. Hahaha.  :laugh: