Newbies' Blush List Dozen

Started by Rosalba, August 19, 2017, 07:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 05, 2018, 09:31:07 AM
I remember those commercials!  I generally saw them in the station breaks for Jeopardy!

I think I do, too. At any rate I know my dad had the LPs.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

EddieRUKiddingVarese

Quote from: Rosalba on September 13, 2017, 12:38:51 AM
'Great contrast' - absolutely right!
Thanks for suggesting this list, α | ì Æ ñ.
It was very interesting to listen, and I'm glad to have done so, but to be honest, this sort of music turns out not to be my cup of tea.

I enjoyed and quite liked the Webern - was bored by the Bartok - could hardly stand listening to the Stockhausen :) - and admired the clever artistry of the Xenakis, Ligeti and Penderecki, but didn't enjoy the uneasiness they induced in me.

It all helps to give me a 'mind-map' of classical music - where it's been, and where it's going. Thanks again!

Webern - Symphony op 21
Bartok - Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta
Stravinsky - Agon
Varese - Ameriques
Stockhausen - Gruppen
Xenakis - Jonchaies
Ligeti - Atmospheres
Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima

That's is so close to my list that it is not funny

Varese - Poème électronique   
Varese - Hyperprism
Varese - Ionisation
Varese - Ameriques
Stockhausen - Gruppen
Varese - Octandre
Cage - ASLSP
Cage- 4'33"
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

steve ridgway

Quote from: Alek Hidell on September 05, 2018, 06:42:56 PM
I think I do, too. At any rate I know my dad had the LPs.

$11.98 sounds very reasonable - unless you want them on cassette or 8-track ;).

Rosalba

Aha - have located this thread of mine from when I joined GMG. I'm rather sad to see that some of the contributors have left the site or else been inactive for some years. I hope they are okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What would I put on here if I were to give myself advice?
The list, remember, is to prevent one being shown up by not knowing the famous pieces, so of course, they're all very well known.
Mine are more than well-known, and they don't go beyond the nineteenth century, so my thanks to those above who recommended modern works in particular.

1. Monteverdi, Vespers
2. Purcell, Dido and Aeneas
3. Vivaldi, The Four Seasons
4. Handel, Messiah
5. Bach, Brandenburg Concerto no. 5
6. Mozart, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
7. Beethoven's Fifth Symphony
8. Schubert: Trout Quintet
9. Tchaikovsky, 1812 Overture
10. Liszt, Hungarian Rhapsody
11. Grieg, Peer Gynt
12. Dvořák: Symphony No. 9 "From the New World"

LKB

Quote from: Rosalba on April 27, 2022, 05:58:02 AM
Aha - have located this thread of mine from when I joined GMG. I'm rather sad to see that some of the contributors have left the site or else been inactive for some years. I hope they are okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What would I put on here if I were to give myself advice?
The list, remember, is to prevent one being shown up by not knowing the famous pieces, so of course, they're all very well known.
Mine are more than well-known, and they don't go beyond the nineteenth century, so my thanks to those above who recommended modern works in particular.

1. Monteverdi, Vespers
2. Purcell, Dido and Aeneas
3. Vivaldi, The Four Seasons
4. Handel, Messiah
5. Bach, Brandenburg Concerto no. 5
6. Mozart, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
7. Beethoven's Fifth Symphony
8. Schubert: Trout Quintet
9. Tchaikovsky, 1812 Overture
10. Liszt, Hungarian Rhapsody
11. Grieg, Peer Gynt
12. Dvořák: Symphony No. 9 "From the New World"

Solid list, my compliments.  ;)

For what it's worth, Overture 1812 was my father's choice to indoctrinate my brother and l into the world of orchestral music, upon the reasonable premise that most young boys like it when things explode.  :laugh:
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Jo498

The version of the 1812 I got to know (on Melodiya Eurodisc LP) was a "Soviet" one that replaced the tsarist hymn at the end with another patriotic (still not soviet but apparently deemed more innocuous) tune. Over 30 years later, the standard version still sounds a bit wrong to me (not that I listen to the piece more than once in a blue moon).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Rosalba

Quote from: LKB on April 27, 2022, 07:24:14 AM
Solid list, my compliments.  ;)

For what it's worth, Overture 1812 was my father's choice to indoctrinate my brother and l into the world of orchestral music, upon the reasonable premise that most young boys like it when things explode.  :laugh:

:)

My sister bought it as an extended play when she was sixteen (and I was eight) so I got to know it then - and the bells and the cannon were exciting to me too!