I'm thinking of buying this amp -- can you advise? (electronics question)

Started by Mandryka, February 17, 2019, 12:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Hi

I'm interested in buying an Accuphase  amp, and I've found one which looks as though it could be just the job, an Accuphase P-266. But it could need serious  restoration.

I have some images of the insides of the amp here. Could someone look at them and see if there's anything obviously wrong, any obvious red flags?

https://imgur.com/a/FyV3UcK

There's a description of the P-266 here

https://audio-database.com/Accuphase-kensonic/amp/P-266-e.html

Thanks
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

You need a 400 watt amp to listen to harpsichord and lute music.  ???
:laugh:

Mandryka

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 19, 2019, 10:04:21 AM
You need a 400 watt amp to listen to harpsichord and lute music.  ???
:laugh:

It's the class A wattage which matters, I doubt I would ever take it out of Class A. I should have made this clear, sorry.

Having said that, my speakers in both my systems aren't particularly efficient, electrostatics and box speakers with rigid Keff bass drivers, and I may well take it out of Class A when I play organ music on a big organ, and generally, the attacks of notes can be quite demanding.

By the way, I have a partially Class A amp, an Electrocompaniet ECI 2. It goes up to about 10W in class A I've been told, and then goes into Class B, It is fabulous, and I am very glad to be exploring this type of amp.

In fact someone warned me off that Accuphase, saying that it was misleadingly presented and possibly difficult to service. They advised me to focus on Krell KSA amps. So that's what I will do, I'm in the market for one, preferably 100W or less. Not easy to find in Europe.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Mandryka on February 19, 2019, 09:09:14 PM
It's the class A wattage which matters, I doubt I would ever take it out of Class A. I should have made this clear, sorry.

Having said that, my speakers in both my systems aren't particularly efficient, electrostatics and box speakers with rigid Keff bass drivers, and I may well take it out of Class A when I play organ music on a big organ, and generally, the attacks of notes can be quite demanding.

By the way, I have a partially Class A amp, an Electrocompaniet ECI 2. It goes up to about 10W in class A I've been told, and then goes into Class B, It is fabulous, and I am very glad to be exploring this type of amp.

In fact someone warned me off that Accuphase, saying that it was misleadingly presented and possibly difficult to service. They advised me to focus on Krell KSA amps. So that's what I will do, I'm in the market for one, preferably 100W or less. Not easy to find in Europe.

I did notice that it has a low power Class A mode. Just making a little joke...