Big 5 and Self-Photos

Started by greg, February 19, 2019, 04:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Been thinking about this way too much lately, but it's pretty amazing how much of a correlation there seems to be.

source:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4621398/

Try actually practicing the facial expressions and note your results. It's a weird, somewhat disturbing feeling to force the expressions which aren't natural to you. Must be what actors go through.

For me, when asked for a picture, it's usually the something like the second lowest of E(xtroversion) and A(greeableness). Even though I'm super high in openness, those two traits sort of cancel that one out. (I HATE smiling in pictures).

The one that is high in ES (Emotional Stability) sort of creeps me out, since that's the smile of a psychopath (they are typically high in that trait) after committing arson. And the one high in consciousness looks like an old president or a lawyer.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

drogulus

I have a question for you. Have you taken a test to determine how psychopathic you are?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Quote from: drogulus on February 21, 2019, 11:26:56 AM
     I have a question for you. Have you taken a test to determine how psychopathic you are?
Probably lol, I've taken a few of the more "out there" tests, including the Dark Triad, alignment and general personality disorder tests. I didn't score very high on Dark Triad traits (I thought I would have score much higher on narcissism, but nope lol  :P), scored as "Chaotic Neutral" (with "True Neutral" as a close second) for the alignment test, and scored somewhat high on either schizoid or schizotypal and avoidant disorders- but after actually reading the characteristics thoroughly, they definitely aren't applicable.

I think this would be the profile of a psychopath:
O- most likely high
C- probably anything, but higher for the ones who are more successful
E- usually high
A- very low
N- very low (meaning: ES = very high)

Being too emotionally stable is the biggest indicator of classic psychopathy, I believe.

Check out Dr. Todd Grande on youtube if you're into that kind of stuff- been into watching his videos lately, very interesting stuff.

drogulus

I seem to remember there was a personality test thread here and a bunch of us took the test.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Ok, I did a search. I didn't post in that thread, but I see you have:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,25394.0.html

I took the test. Higher scores than the last time I remembered.

drogulus

Oh yes, that's the thread. I didn't do very well.

I took the test again. It said I was saintly, which is odd considering my view of saintliness. I don't feel the test represented me very well. It was too binary on the subject of selfish/selfless. The idea that you do well and good together doesn't have an option. But then, it's about feeeeeelings which are supposed to not be ideas.

greg

The biggest issues with self-exams is that 1) some people don't actually know themselves well; 2) the questions are so general that it can be hard to give an answer, whether you know yourself well or not.

So you can't take it too seriously.

My Machiavellianism is more like- yeah, I used to cheat in school when I felt like the class was unnecessary, because it is disrepecting my time- but my brother wouldn't do such a thing, so I think he'd score much lower.

Also, something I was talking about with a friend a few days ago- he passionately hates car salesmen and said he'd rather starve to death than do that as a job. While I wouldn't let myself starve, that type of job is definitely near the bottom of jobs I would do, as I strongly prefer to live in an honest world and be honest. But if I had to for survival, I probably could be deceptive. I can easily adopt a "win at all costs" attitude if necessary.

These traits are so multidimensional, really... and for my Narcissism, it's more like a certain type which I'm not sure if it has a name. I don't have much need for approval from others, since I don't care too much what other people think, but at the same time I've always had this lingering feeling ever since I was young that I'm better/more important than everyone else- and it's a really unbreakable feeling. But at the same time, that doesn't mean I mistreat others- it's like a human treating a dog well, as bad as that comparison sounds.  :-X

greg

What exactly is your views on "saintliness?"

And I noticed the only two results people got were that and "infrequently vile," but I couldn't tell exactly how they got that score.

drogulus

Quote from: greg on February 22, 2019, 04:27:00 PM
What exactly is your views on "saintliness?"

The concept is kind of disgusting, inhuman and inhumane.

greg

Quote from: drogulus on February 22, 2019, 07:37:35 PM
      The concept is kind of disgusting, inhuman and inhumane.
In the religious sense only? Or general sense? And is it because it implies servitude?

drogulus

Quote from: greg on February 22, 2019, 08:35:18 PM
In the religious sense only? Or general sense? And is it because it implies servitude?

I find the concept offensive in the sense that it's often used, that humans should have an ideal of self-abnegation. I think doing good while doing well can resemble selflessness at times and selfishness at other times, but what it most resembles is ordinary goodness. It can also be a matter of being selfish in a wider sense, like wanting to live in a kind of world, not another kind. It's all about meeeeee!!