Please help! Can’t identify this theme! Programme music?

Started by killiano, February 16, 2019, 03:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killiano

Hello all,

I wonder if you could help me identify a piece the name of which has been driving me mad for some time. I attach a file of my bashing out the theme on piano but this doesn't do it justice of course. It's the climax of a symphonic movement or fantasy or tone poem I'm almost sure. Big beefy Romantic and for some reason I'm thinking Russian. I've crossed off the big hits of the big hitters or think I have anyway. Been through as much of Tchaikovsky, RK, Mussorgsky and Stravinsky as I thought was likely. It reminds me a lot of that midsection of Tchaikovsky's R&J Overture or indeed of Night on Bald Mountain or even bits of Berlioz.

To describe the texture, the theme is stated repeatedly by brass and in its biggest iteration is accompanied by high octave strings doing little fast runs on top.

At least that's how I remember it. My ear worms tend to degenerate into completely new creations after the 6th week. I know if I can name it I will sleep more easily! (By the way if by slim chance it's totally new and unheard of please let me know as in that case I've a symphony to write!)

This happens to me a lot but I can usually identify it between repeated googlings and checking the recently played lists of the local classical station. If you can identify it I promise I'll help out with future ID efforts!

Many thanks.

O

killiano

Thank you very much. Must have been tacked on to the end of a Tchaikovsky listening session and seeped into my unconscious.

This may be the greatest service ever provided on the Internet. Thanks again.