RAF/USAF fly past for American crew who died in air crash 75 years ago today.

Started by vandermolen, February 22, 2019, 09:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I thought that our American friends here might be interested in this moving and unusual event which took place today. I think that there was some coverage on US TV. Today in 1944 an American bomber crew were returning from a mission over Denmark. The plane was in trouble and it seems they wanted to put it down in a small park in Sheffield. However there were children playing in the park. One of the children waved at one of the American crew and the American crew man waved with his hands back. It seems like the American was not waving but making it clear that they should get out the way. However as there were people in the park it seems that the crew flew their stricken aircraft towards woods where it crashed killing all ten of the crew. The young boy never forgot them and for many years he's been trying to arrange a memorial fly past on this anniversary. I watched this on the news this morning and it was very moving. Relatives of the crew had come over from America and it was the main item on the BBC News this morning. The old gentleman who had campaigned for the fly past to happen was there and got huge applause from the very large crowd there:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Gurn Blanston

Wonderful effort: in bad times, people don't forget who was on their side. Politicians may, but not the person in the street who actually lived through it day to day.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I visited Cambridge some years ago and toured Duxford Imperial War Museum, where units of the the U.S. Army Air Force were based during WWII. I was impressed at how sincerely the British people we met there expressed their thanks and appreciation for the "American Boys" who were stationed there.

The closest thing was when I was in Heidelberg, and my Bosnian cab driver spent the entire ride telling me how Bill Clinton was greatest man who ever lived. :)

I did see mention of the memorial in the U.S. press but did not read past the headline. Thanks for sharing.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 22, 2019, 09:46:32 AM
I visited Cambridge some years ago and toured Duxford Imperial War Museum, where units of the the U.S. Army Air Force were based during WWII. I was impressed at how sincerely the British people we met there expressed their thanks and appreciation for the "American Boys" who were stationed there.

The closest thing was when I was in Heidelberg, and my Bosnian cab driver spent the entire ride telling me how Bill Clinton was greatest man who ever lived. :)

I did see mention of the memorial in the U.S. press but did not read past the headline. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/sheffield-flypast-tony-foulds-endcliffe-park-raf-air-force-fly-over-bbc-breakfast-dan-walker-video/
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Crudblud

I live a few miles away from Endcliffe Park, and I was able to see the planes clearly out my front window this morning. It was a pretty cool sight.

vandermolen

Quote from: Crudblud on February 22, 2019, 01:15:12 PM
I live a few miles away from Endcliffe Park, and I was able to see the planes clearly out my front window this morning. It was a pretty cool sight.
Wow! That's great that you actually saw it.

Crudblud

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2019, 01:28:00 PM
Wow! That's great that you actually saw it.
A bit of lucky timing. I had just switched on the news while I was having my first cup of coffee, and it occurred to me that I would probably be able to see it. One of them, as far as I can tell the first plane to fly over, came right over my neighbourhood as it peeled away to return to base. I'm used to hearing helicopters and the occasional commercial jet, but the roars of those fighters was really something else.

vandermolen

Quote from: Crudblud on February 22, 2019, 11:56:19 PM
A bit of lucky timing. I had just switched on the news while I was having my first cup of coffee, and it occurred to me that I would probably be able to see it. One of them, as far as I can tell the first plane to fly over, came right over my neighbourhood as it peeled away to return to base. I'm used to hearing helicopters and the occasional commercial jet, but the roars of those fighters was really something else.
Excellent!

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2019, 09:34:38 AM
Wonderful effort: in bad times, people don't forget who was on their side. Politicians may, but not the person in the street who actually lived through it day to day.

8)
Yes, thankfully.

We have one of two operational Lancasters in town, and it does flyovers periodically.
For those in or near Michigan there is a good vintage air show with fighters etc in Ypsilanti each summer, called Thunder over Michigan.