Author Topic: 60 years of Kind of Blue  (Read 6281 times)

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
60 years of Kind of Blue
« on: March 12, 2019, 09:03:43 AM »
I nearly forgot.  60 years ago this month (2nd March actually) Miles Davis and friends strolled into a New York studio and, without much preparation or rehearsal, laid down the three tracks that make up the 'A' side of the Kind of Blue album.  The other two tracks were recorded on April 22nd.

Offline schnittkease

Re: 60 years of Kind of Blue
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »
Has it really been that long? Jeez.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    Bach Brahms Beethoven Machaut Stravinsky Schumann Feldman Debussy Carter Bernstein
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 03:43:40 PM »
I nearly forgot.  60 years ago this month (2nd March actually) Miles Davis and friends strolled into a New York studio and, without much preparation or rehearsal, laid down the three tracks that make up the 'A' side of the Kind of Blue album.  The other two tracks were recorded on April 22nd.

I've posted here before how much I enjoy this record, and consider it a jazz masterpiece, possibly the most perfect jazz recording ever made.  I must listen to it at least once a month.  1959 was a great year for jazz with several other masterpieces recorded: The Shape of Jazz to Come (Ornette Coleman), Mingus Ah Um (Charles Mingus), Giant Steps (John Coltrane), Time Out (Dave Brubeck), Portrait in Jazz (Bill Evans), Blowin' the Blues Away (Horace Silver), Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Song Book (Ella Fitzgerald).

1959 may have been the greatest year in Jazz of all.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 03:54:16 PM »
1959 may have been the greatest year in Jazz of all.

1959, that's the year Sonny Rollins spent on the Williamsburg bridge. But 1958  was a good year for him.

:)

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    Bach Brahms Beethoven Machaut Stravinsky Schumann Feldman Debussy Carter Bernstein
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 04:22:32 PM »
1959, that's the year Sonny Rollins spent on the Williamsburg bridge. But 1958  was a good year for him.

:)

That's a great album, too.  I really like saxophone trios without piano.  The entire decade of the '50s produced some of the greatest Jazz.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937)
    Debussy, Ravel, Bartók, Stravinsky, The Second Viennese School, Mahler, Janáček, Varèse, Enescu, Takemitsu, Ligeti, Szymanowski
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 07:59:48 PM »
There’s no question it’s a great album, but it’s personally not a favorite of mine. If I had to pick one Miles album that I consider ‘one for the desert island' it would be Seven Steps to Heaven.
“The only love affair I have ever had was with music.” - Maurice Ravel

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 08:09:59 PM »
There’s no question it’s a great album, but it’s personally not a favorite of mine. If I had to pick one Miles album that I consider ‘one for the desert island' it would be Seven Steps to Heaven.

Seven Steps is a good record.  But Kind of Blue is in another league altogether. 

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 11:48:56 PM »
Seven Steps is a good record.  But Kind of Blue is in another league altogether.

Totally, yeah! It's one of the most amazing jazz records ever made!

Ashley Kahn's book on the album is very much worth reading - no big news or findings in there, but it's a well-done compilation of what is known about the origin of the music, and a good read, too:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 01:02:48 AM »
Totally, yeah! It's one of the most amazing jazz records ever made!

Ashley Kahn's book on the album is very much worth reading - no big news or findings in there, but it's a well-done compilation of what is known about the origin of the music, and a good read, too:

Yeah, I have that book.  Probably time to look through it again.

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 02:14:11 AM »

For me it would be Miles Smiles, from 1966.  The mid-sixties quintet in peak form, untypically up-beat, and just before the music became over-influenced by Wayne Shorter's trance-like compositions.  Tony Williams' best album by far (he would have been about 20 at the time!)

Seven Steps to Heaven was a transitional album, featuring two different quintet lineups, one recording in Hollywood in April '63, the other in New York in May.  The title track came from the May session and is the earliest recording of Herbie Hancock and Tony Williams playing with Miles.  Ironically Victor Feldman is credited as co-composer - he is the pianist Hancock replaced (he didn't want to leave Hollywood) and doesn't play on this track.  Williams is 17 years old here, Hancock 23.

Returning to Kind of Blue, one thing that always strikes me is the outstanding playing of Cannonball Adderley.  He's someone who doesn't have much reputation left these days (maybe because he had a hit record in the '60s - was perceived as selling out) - but for me on Kind of Blue he is more than a match for John Coltrane.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:18:00 AM by aukhawk »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937)
    Debussy, Ravel, Bartók, Stravinsky, The Second Viennese School, Mahler, Janáček, Varèse, Enescu, Takemitsu, Ligeti, Szymanowski
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 06:50:09 AM »

Yes, but we’re talking about my own favorites of course. ;) My other favorites from Miles would be (in no particular order): Sorcerer, Porgy & Bess, and Bitches Brew. I also love the live recordings My Funny Valentine and Four and More, which were actually the same concerts, but I guess Columbia felt the need to split them up to make more money (per usual). ::)
“The only love affair I have ever had was with music.” - Maurice Ravel

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 04:11:50 PM »

Is that a flugelhorn Miles is playing? I find that confusing. I thought he only used flugelhorn on the big band Gil Evans sessions.

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 02:04:58 AM »
I checked Kind of Blue out of the library when I was in high school.  Maybe 1984. It was a scratchy old LP and I made a cassette of it and listened to it for years and years.  It was my first and only jazz album til I bought a 5 CD box set (Miles Davis on Columbia anthology) when I was in college. It cost $50, which was a hell of a lot of money to me at that time. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:41:11 AM by Mookalafalas »
It's all good...