The Music Room > The Jazz Lounge

60 years of Kind of Blue

(1/10) > >>

aukhawk:
I nearly forgot.  60 years ago this month (2nd March actually) Miles Davis and friends strolled into a New York studio and, without much preparation or rehearsal, laid down the three tracks that make up the 'A' side of the Kind of Blue album.  The other two tracks were recorded on April 22nd.

schnittkease:
Has it really been that long? Jeez.

San Antone:

--- Quote from: aukhawk on March 12, 2019, 09:03:43 AM ---I nearly forgot.  60 years ago this month (2nd March actually) Miles Davis and friends strolled into a New York studio and, without much preparation or rehearsal, laid down the three tracks that make up the 'A' side of the Kind of Blue album.  The other two tracks were recorded on April 22nd.

--- End quote ---

I've posted here before how much I enjoy this record, and consider it a jazz masterpiece, possibly the most perfect jazz recording ever made.  I must listen to it at least once a month.  1959 was a great year for jazz with several other masterpieces recorded: The Shape of Jazz to Come (Ornette Coleman), Mingus Ah Um (Charles Mingus), Giant Steps (John Coltrane), Time Out (Dave Brubeck), Portrait in Jazz (Bill Evans), Blowin' the Blues Away (Horace Silver), Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Song Book (Ella Fitzgerald).

1959 may have been the greatest year in Jazz of all.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia:

--- Quote from: San Antone on March 12, 2019, 03:43:40 PM ---1959 may have been the greatest year in Jazz of all.

--- End quote ---

1959, that's the year Sonny Rollins spent on the Williamsburg bridge. But 1958  was a good year for him.

:)

San Antone:

--- Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 12, 2019, 03:54:16 PM ---1959, that's the year Sonny Rollins spent on the Williamsburg bridge. But 1958  was a good year for him.

:)

--- End quote ---

That's a great album, too.  I really like saxophone trios without piano.  The entire decade of the '50s produced some of the greatest Jazz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version