Favourite conductor names

Started by vandermolen, March 27, 2019, 08:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Another pointless thread - but so what? We've done favourite orchestra names. Now, your favourite five conductor names:

Willem Van Otterloo
Hans Knappertsbusch
Gennady Rozhdestvensky
Kiril Kondrashin
Odd Gruner-Hegge
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Rediscovery, the website for free downloads is the place to go for interesting conductors. As well as Odd Gruner-Hegge (see above) there is

Anshel Brusilow
Desire Dondeyne
Andre Vandernoot
Thor Johnson
Dr Hans Wolf

and others. I am sure some are pseudonyms.

NikF4

Quote from: vandermolen on March 27, 2019, 08:24:23 AM
Another pointless thread - but so what? We've done favourite orchestra names. Now, your favourite  five conductor names:

Willem Van Otterloo
Hans Knappertsbusch
Gennady Rozhdestvensky
Kiril Kondrashin
Odd Gruner-Hegge

I lived and worked in Russia for the best part of five years, yet I've still the need to pause and consider how to correctly pronounce his name. Shameful on my part. No excuses. And perhaps insult to injury is that on reading the name 'Gennady' I'll still first think of Golovkin, the Russian middleweight.
Anyway, I'm trying to narrow my choices down to five.

NikF4

Sergiu Celibidache - a serious name for a serious man. I approve.
Claudio Abbado - contender for the coolest name ever in any field.
Juraj Valcuha - sounds like he could beat me in a fight.
Otto Klemperer - sounds like he could beat me in a fight with one hand tied behind his back.
Kenneth Fuchs - a name to aspire to, although unfortunately also sounds like the kind of person who wears a baseball hat indoors.

Biffo

Quote from: NikF4 on March 27, 2019, 09:13:41 AM
I lived and worked in Russia for the best part of five years, yet I've still the need to pause and consider how to correctly pronounce his name. Shameful on my part. No excuses. And perhaps insult to injury is that on reading the name 'Gennady' I'll still first think of Golovkin, the Russian middleweight.
Anyway, I'm trying to narrow my choices down to five.

I have to check how to spell it every time;  no doubt my pronunciation would be lamentable.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: NikF4 on March 27, 2019, 09:13:41 AM

I was just reading on Wikipedia he took the name voluntarily. It was his mother's maiden name. It helps to see the original (if you know the Russian alphabet or are willing to look it up). Рожде́ственский. 

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Can anything match Furtwangler?

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on March 27, 2019, 08:43:03 AM
Rediscovery, the website for free downloads is the place to go for interesting conductors. As well as Odd Gruner-Hegge (see above) there is

Anshel Brusilow
Desire Dondeyne
Andre Vandernoot
Thor Johnson
Dr Hans Wolf

and others. I am sure some are pseudonyms.

I love 'Andre Vandernoot' maybe I should change my name to Jeffrey Vandernoot - after all Van der Molen is a family name and we are partly Dutch. 8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 27, 2019, 10:12:11 AM
Can anything match Furtwangler?

I nearly mentioned him too. Also a thumbs up for Otto Klemperer from me.

Thanks for all offerings.

mc ukrneal

Carlos Foggin (really works when you know the orchestra he leads - Rocky Mountain SO)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: NikF4 on March 27, 2019, 09:21:55 AM

Except that to Romanian ears his last name sounds quite funny.  :laugh:

TD

Rafael Fruhbeck de Burgos
Felix Weingartner
Carlos Kleiber

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

NikF4

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 27, 2019, 10:10:25 AM
I was just reading on Wikipedia he took the name voluntarily. It was his mother's maiden name. It helps to see the original (if you know the Russian alphabet or are willing to look it up). Рожде́ственский.

Yeah, even though my ability to comverse in Russian is almost gone, for some reason I'm still able to read it almost without hesitation. I don't watch a lot of televised football (soccer) but it's the same there, where I'll translate a rolling trackside ad without thinking about it. But searching for 'Rozhdestvensky' when buying music? - copy and paste job.

NikF4

Quote from: Florestan on March 27, 2019, 10:47:06 AM
Except that to Romanian ears his last name sounds quite funny:laugh:

TD

Rafael Fruhbeck de Burgos
Felix Weingartner
Carlos Kleiber

How so? Similar to other words? Or just the actual sound of it? Do tell.  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: NikF4 on March 27, 2019, 09:21:55 AM
Claudio Abbado - contender for the coolest name ever in any field.
Juraj Valcuha - sounds like he could beat me in a fight.
Otto Klemperer - sounds like he could beat me in a fight with one hand tied behind his back.
Kenneth Fuchs - a name to aspire to, although unfortunately also sounds like the kind of person who wears a baseball hat indoors.

Love the explanations  8)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Ok, I'll play

Herbert von Karajan
Antal Dorati
Wilhelm Furtwangler
Pierre Monteux
Генна́дий Рожде́ственский (Guennadi Rojdestvenski, or pick your preferred transliteration)

Florestan

Quote from: NikF4 on March 27, 2019, 10:52:31 AM
How so? Similar to other words? Or just the actual sound of it? Do tell.  :)

Celibidache in itself means nothing but the termination -ache (pronounced ah-que (like in Quebec)) suggests a funny character, for instance muțunache (a grotesque, silly marionette), țafandache (a fop) or bulache (a naive person).  :)

Florestan

TD

As always, Italians rule

Arturo Toscanini
Tullio Serafin
Alceo Galliera
Carlo Maria Giulini
Antonello Manacorda

Plus

John Barbirolli
Norman del Mar
Constantin Silvestri

vandermolen

Three more
Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt
Ferenc Fricsay
Igor Markevitch

Florestan

vandermolen