The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

(1/264) > >>

Que:
Bach's music needs a good home on this board - with several rooms... ;D

This thread is a continuation of the Bach and the harpsichord thread on the old forum.

I think that recordings of non-HIP (= piano) performances and of the organ works are best served with separate threads.

Other relevant old threads:

* Bach Keyboard Music
* Goldberg Variations
* Bach Harpsichordists
Let me kick off with just giving a selection of my collection.

My first encounter with Bach on the harpsichord was via recordings by the French harpsichordist (and conductor) Christophe Rousset. He remains one my my favourites.
The Decca set is highly recommended - superb performance of the Partitas and the Goldberg Variations. He is now recording for the French label Ambroisie.

For the Well Tempered Clavier my favourite is Glen Wilson, a harpsichordist I didn't know before.
These recordings are sadly OOP - but just in case (saw a few copies on Amazon):

Other favourite Goldbergs:

I got interested in Bach recordings on other period keyboard instruments than the harpsichord.
I've sofar encountered the clavichord and the lute-harpsichord (Lautenklavier or Lautenwerck) and find it all wonderfull and fascinating! :D

Recordings I have by Robert Hill, another harpsichordist I like very much.

Robert Hill in my favourite recording of "Die Kunst der Fuge":

Q

lukeottevanger:
might want to change your title somewhat - the clavichord isn't plucked

I'm a big old clavichord fan, obviously (I have one and compose for it too), but sadly it's an instrument that doesn't always come across fantastically on CD for various reasons. Among a few other Bach-on-clavichord discs (Hogwood, Adlam) I have Kirkpatrick's two books of the WTC on clavichord

and Book One to go with it

and they are admirable but perhaps, like some other clavichord recordings I've heard, lacking in the magical expressivity which is the instrument's trump card. I admire the laudable way Kirkpatrick attempts to insist that the listener resists the urge to pump up the volume, however!

Que:

--- Quote from: lukeottevanger on April 14, 2007, 12:39:17 AM ---might want to change your title somewhat - the clavichord isn't plucked
--- End quote ---

Right! ;D

Thanks Luke, all the technical differences between the instruments are somewhat confusing (for me)... 8)

--- Quote from: lukeottevanger on April 14, 2007, 12:39:17 AM ---I'm a big old clavichord fan, obviously (I have one and compose for it too), but sadly it's an instrument that doesn't always come across fantastically on CD for various reasons. Among a few other Bach-on-clavichord discs (Hogwood, Adlam) I have Kirkpatrick's two books of the WTC on clavichord

and Book One to go with it

and they are admirable but perhaps, like some other clavichord recordings I've heard, lacking in the magical expressivity which is the instrument's trump card. I admire the laudable way Kirkpatrick attempts to insist that the listener resists the urge to pump up the volume, however!
--- End quote ---

I never realised that the Kirkpatrick's WTC was on clavichord!
Thanks very much!  :)

Q

lukeottevanger:
You know, one of the problems that seems to exist in recording the clavichord - apart from coping with its tiny sound, though possibly related to this fact, perhaps - is the fact that this instrument, which works by striking the strings and has a relatively good sustain, tends nevertheless to sound fairly percussive and plucked when recorded. At least, that is the impression some recordings have made on me, including the Kirkpatrick (I'm just spinning his WTC II to check that impression - yes, indeed, he has a very resonant and strong instrument sounding something like a very mellow harpsichord). That's why it's completely excusable that you imagined it to be a plucked instrument!  ;D

Que:

--- Quote from: lukeottevanger on April 14, 2007, 01:07:25 AM ---You know, one of the problems that seems to exist in recording the clavichord - apart from coping with its tiny sound, though possibly related to this fact, perhaps - is the fact that this instrument, which works by striking the strings and has a relatively good sustain, tends nevertheless to sound fairly percussive and plucked when recorded. At least, that is the impression some recordings have made on me, including the Kirkpatrick (I'm just spinning his WTC II to check that impression - yes, indeed, he has a very resonant and strong instrument sounding something like a very mellow harpsichord). That's why it's completely excusable that you imagined it to be a plucked instrument!  ;D

--- End quote ---

Yes indeed, it does sound like a mellow harpsichord. :)

Q

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version