Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: HIPster on September 03, 2017, 07:53:33 AM
Super review, DD:)

I am very interested in this recording.  Not showing on Amazon, however (or at least I cannot find it  ::)).

Could someone please post a link?

Thanks.

Thanks, HIPster! :)

Yeah, as you found out, it's not so easy to find Stateside.

As the others mentioned, the European Amazons are probably the best bet.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

HIPster

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 03, 2017, 10:05:58 AM
Thanks, HIPster! :)

Yeah, as you found out, it's not so easy to find Stateside.

As the others mentioned, the European Amazons are probably the best bet.

Thank you, DD and to marc and premont;)

I plan to purchase this recording asap. 
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

milk

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 02, 2017, 04:16:25 AM
It is more poetic and "feminine" , than the three you mention, which all are very masculine.

As to me I have enjoyed Gester's recording very much.

Hmm...yeah, can't get it on iTunes. Now I really want it. Who else has this feminine approach of which is spoken?

milk

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 02, 2017, 04:16:25 AM
It is more poetic and "feminine" , than the three you mention, which all are very masculine.

As to me I have enjoyed Gester's recording very much.
But I wonder if we could say this about Suzuki, compared to Mortensen and Leonhardt, too. He's more poetic also, no? At least the tempos are slower (or there are just more repeats?).

milk

Hmm...well, listening to Suzuki, he's quite muscular in a way.

milk

What other recordings equal Mortensen in quality? Besides Leonhardt and Suzuki? Not on piano...that show a different side to the music?

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on September 04, 2017, 07:37:49 PM
What other recordings . . . show a different side to the music?

Try Verlet on Philips and Kenneth Weiss. In a rather different way (classical, emotionally held in check, elegant, delicate) there's Kenneth Gilbert.

Koopman also shows a different side.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: milk on September 04, 2017, 07:37:49 PM
What other recordings equal Mortensen in quality? Besides Leonhardt and Suzuki? Not on piano...that show a different side to the music?

Egarr.
Walcha (not strictly HIP but extremely energetic).
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on September 05, 2017, 01:36:35 AM
Try Verlet on Philips and Kenneth Weiss. In a rather different way (classical, emotionally held in check, elegant, delicate) there's Kenneth Gilbert.

Koopman also shows a different side.
I didn't know Gilbert did one. I want to listen to that.

milk

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 05, 2017, 03:17:16 AM
Egarr.
Walcha (not strictly HIP but extremely energetic).
Are you a fan of Egarr's Bach? Blandine Rannou never did one I guess. Next to WTC, I think the partitas are Bach's deepest non-organ Keyboard works. Even more that GBV - to which I rarely listen anymore.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on September 05, 2017, 04:23:42 AM
I didn't know Gilbert did one. I want to listen to that.

It looks as though it's become hard to find, hopefully that situation will change at some point. Gilbert's classicism see,s to me to be a bit at odds with the zeitgeist. I love it.

prémont

prémont

Quote from: milk on September 05, 2017, 04:27:21 AM
Are you a fan of Egarr's Bach?.

Well, with time I have acquired some more taste for him and also his Bach. His recording of the partitas is rather individual and temperamental.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on September 05, 2017, 04:27:21 AM
I think the partitas are Bach's deepest non-organ Keyboard works.

The 1720s were clearly a period of great exploration of the suite - Rameau and Bach both publishing some really bold, groundbreaking music in the form.

(I hope Bach isn't turning in his grave because he's bracketed with Rameau. I think it's clear that Bach was much much deeper in the partitas than anything Rameau ever dreamed of.)

milk

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 05, 2017, 07:54:45 AM
Well, with time I have acquired some more taste for him and also his Bach. His recording of the partitas is rather individual and temperamental.
"temperamental" - that's ringing a bell. I may have this somewhere in the depths of my gigobytes...

Mandryka

Be sure to listen to Egarr's French Suites, which have really grown on me recently.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on December 10, 2016, 07:54:06 AM
I put some comments on a couple of partitas from the Astrée set on a thread somewhere here just last week.
I just purchased Verlet's partitas. This is much less religious than some. More home-y. She outlined details. Maybe the opposite of Suzuki. It sounds less like heaven and more like a lovely parlour.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on September 07, 2017, 08:47:19 PM
I just purchased Verlet's partitas. This is much less religious than some. More home-y. She outlined details. Maybe the opposite of Suzuki. It sounds less like heaven and more like a lovely parlour.

Did you buy the Philips or the Astrée? As you know I thought the Astrée  was a curate's egg.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on September 07, 2017, 10:40:41 PM
Did you buy the Philips or the Astrée? As you know I thought the Astrée  was a curate's egg.
Yeah. Stupid me. I see I had bought the Phillips before. It's in my "cloud." I can already hear the difference. Yeah, it's better. The newer one has many charms. But it doesn't soar. This older one flys higher.

Mandryka

The Astree first partita is very odd, I just do not like it. But the second and the sixth are interesting to hear if I remember right.