Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I've been wondering if should purchase this disc or not. Any idea?



prémont

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 07, 2023, 01:16:40 PMI've been wondering if should purchase this disc or not. Any idea?




This is an old recording, I didn't know it was available at all and I haven't heard it. As to Laura Alvini who died 2005, I own a few recordings (Händel 8 Great suites, Beethoven Kurfürsten Sonaten on fortepiano and JS Bach's harpsichord/v. da gamba sonatas). Her playing is informed and imbued with what I may call sober and sound musicianship.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: milk on February 06, 2023, 04:17:36 AM
I don't really know him but I thought this might be a chance to discuss this. It will take me a while to listen to this a few times and get something to say about it but so far I think this recording is worth paying attention to.

Nice recording. Some pieces are a little fast, but overall the music sounds gorgeous and very likable.

milk

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 08, 2023, 01:35:31 PMNice recording. Some pieces are a little fast, but overall the music sounds gorgeous and very likable.
I'm really enjoying it. I find a lot of invention, exuberance and spirit here. Italian is right! I'm always waiting for a new WTC to come along like this. It's a shame pianists can't seem to do it as well, not IMO - not as often do they come a long with the goods.

Mandryka

#1384
If we take the definition of Italian Style from that article I linked, viz:

bold prints, loud hues and statement dressing

then Baino isn't just Italian, he is Itialianissimo.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Would you describe Dantone's WTC in the same way?
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Mandryka

#1386
Quote from: premont on February 09, 2023, 06:27:57 AMWould you describe Dantone's WTC in the same way?

I don't know and that thought had crossed my mind. From memory Dantone is less self confident and assertive than Baiano, but it's a long time since I heard it.  There's also Bachetti on piano to think about. I like Bachetti very much.

(I should say I've not listened to any of Baiano's Bk 1)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Baiano very good in the 877 fugue -- clavichord.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka



It's very good. He comments that

My justification for arranging these works for two harpsichords derives from the preface to François Couperin's L'apothéose de Lully (1725) in which he describes the manner in which he often played trio sonatas on two harpsichords:

Trios . . . can be played on two harpsichords . . . I play them with my family and pupils with very happy success, namely, by playing the first treble part and the bass on one of the harpsichords; and the second treble part and the same bass on the other harpsichord tuned to the same pitch.

  For me, the experiment of arranging Bach's Organ Trio Sonatas was too tempting to resist. The result is a transformation of these famous trio   sonatas, giving them a character that is neither better nor worse than interpretations on the organ, but very different and no less exciting.



And IMO that's the best sort of HIP practice.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que


milk

Quote from: milk on February 06, 2023, 04:17:36 AM
I don't really know him but I thought this might be a chance to discuss this. It will take me a while to listen to this a few times and get something to say about it but so far I think this recording is worth paying attention to.
The Baiano has been really rewarding listening for me. I need a reason to go back into my favorite music. Baiano is engaging. Never dull.

Que

Quote from: milk on February 28, 2023, 09:18:41 PMThe Baiano has been really rewarding listening for me. I need a reason to go back into my favorite music. Baiano is engaging. Never dull.

I can really recommend any of his earlier recordings: Cabézon, Frecobaldi, Froberger, Scarlatti, Paradisi, Vivaldi transcr. and Neapolitan harpsichord music.

milk

Quote from: Que on March 01, 2023, 11:59:54 AMI can really recommend any of his earlier recordings: Cabézon, Frecobaldi, Froberger, Scarlatti, Paradisi, Vivaldi transcr. and Neapolitan harpsichord music.
I will head towards those recordings. Thanks!

San Antone

I recently came across a new set by Andreas Staier

Book 1 came out this year



He started with Book 2, released 2021



I am still listening to them, but I am right now listening to the Enrico Baiano that came up in this thread.  From what I can tell so  far, it is another nice recording of the WTC. 

But give Staier a try - they are somewhat similar in choice of instruments.

milk

Quote from: San Antone on March 09, 2023, 05:47:20 AMI recently came across a new set by Andreas Staier

Book 1 came out this year



He started with Book 2, released 2021



I am still listening to them, but I am right now listening to the Enrico Baiano that came up in this thread.  From what I can tell so  far, it is another nice recording of the WTC. 

But give Staier a try - they are somewhat similar in choice of instruments.
I've been listening to Baiano and I like it a lot. I admit I didn't give Staier much of a chance. I don't know what it is with him. He's been around so long and it seems like there's something of his that I've liked but I'm usually not responding to his Bach or baroque. But maybe I can give him another listen.

vers la flamme

Is there a good WTC on harpsichord that isn't crazy expensive or hard to find?

DavidW


Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 24, 2023, 05:16:09 PMIs there a good WTC on harpsichord that isn't crazy expensive or hard to find?


Glen Wilson.