Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: San Antone on September 26, 2023, 05:20:31 PMHave you heard this one?

Pretty nice.
Yes. I like it all. I would say his playing by is gentle and maybe a bit sleepy (at worst). But he's not polarizing or extreme or academic. I like how clear the counterpoint is - the lines. It's too bad that he didn't quite finish the set. There's something missing. Maybe it's Art of the Fugue. I have to check what he didn't finish. It looks like he lost funding right near the end.

bioluminescentsquid

https://www.artistcamp.com/lydia-maria-blank/bach-die-kunst-der-fuge/9008798375042/index.html#
A very beautiful, elaborately ornameted yet sober and noble Art of Fugue from Lydia Maria Blank. Played on what sounds like an Italian harpsichord, the lean and spare sound fits the playing style well. Actually the word that comes to mind is iki, as Toyohiko Satoh means it.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on October 23, 2023, 07:46:05 PM
https://www.artistcamp.com/lydia-maria-blank/bach-die-kunst-der-fuge/9008798375042/index.html#
A very beautiful, elaborately ornameted yet sober and noble Art of Fugue from Lydia Maria Blank. Played on what sounds like an Italian harpsichord, the lean and spare sound fits the playing style well. Actually the word that comes to mind is iki, as Toyohiko Satoh means it.

I've been playing her Byrd this week -- very slow pavans!  I need to give the AoF some more attention.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on October 23, 2023, 07:46:05 PMA very beautiful, elaborately ornameted yet sober and noble Art of Fugue from Lydia Maria Blank. Played on what sounds like an Italian harpsichord, the lean and spare sound fits the playing style well.

Yes, the Italian baroque style harpsichord (one manual, two stops 8' and 8') which she uses for all her recordings. I appreciate the lack of a 4' stop. She hasn't published the tunings she uses, but this is presumably meantone for the Byrd and the Italian and Spanish music, but not - I think - for the AoF, where the tuning sounds a tad more "modern". She plays the version for two harpsichords of the three part mirror fugue and no assistent is mentioned, so I suppose she used playback here and probably also for the four part mirror fugue. All in all I find her version marked by simplicity and beauty - and a tangible degree of poetry.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

CelluloidBiker

Has anyone heard András Schiff's JS Bach: Clavichord on ECM?

https://ecmrecords.com/product/j-s-bach-clavichord-andras-schiff/

It came out in January of this year, but I only just found out about it today. I generally prefer Bach on period instruments, and I love the oft-neglected clavichord (Ralph Kirkpatrick's WTC II on clavichord is my all-time favorite version), so I was stoked to find out about this release. I also admire Schiff a lot, especially his recent WTC piano performances on ECM and live at the BBC Proms.

I'm currently streaming it on Spotify, about halfway through disc one and really enjoying it. The instrument used (a replica of a 1743 Specken clavichord) has the shimmering, lute-like quality I love about the clavichord, and the recording is immaculate as one would expect from ECM. The Inventions and Sinfonias are a  perfect fit for the quiet, intimate nature of the clavichord, intended as they were for private individual study. Schiff's performances so far seem thoughtful and gracefully unadorned.

Any thoughts from those who have heard it?

Mandryka

Quote from: CelluloidBiker on November 22, 2023, 01:38:59 PMHas anyone heard András Schiff's JS Bach: Clavichord on ECM?

https://ecmrecords.com/product/j-s-bach-clavichord-andras-schiff/

It came out in January of this year, but I only just found out about it today. I generally prefer Bach on period instruments, and I love the oft-neglected clavichord (Ralph Kirkpatrick's WTC II on clavichord is my all-time favorite version), so I was stoked to find out about this release. I also admire Schiff a lot, especially his recent WTC piano performances on ECM and live at the BBC Proms.

I'm currently streaming it on Spotify, about halfway through disc one and really enjoying it. The instrument used (a replica of a 1743 Specken clavichord) has the shimmering, lute-like quality I love about the clavichord, and the recording is immaculate as one would expect from ECM. The Inventions and Sinfonias are a  perfect fit for the quiet, intimate nature of the clavichord, intended as they were for private individual study. Schiff's performances so far seem thoughtful and gracefully unadorned.

Any thoughts from those who have heard it?

Hello biker. Good to find another clavichord lover!

I've only listened to Schiff's inventions. He plays the clavichord with the same touch as a conservatory trained pianist plays a piano, the same liaison between notes, and with long phrasing too - like in 19th century piano music. To see what I mean, have a listen to Jaroslav Tuma's recording of the music on clavichord - the recording's on YouTube. You may prefer Schiff to Tuma, of course - my point was purporting to be fact not value.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

atardecer

Quote from: Mandryka on November 23, 2023, 06:47:54 AMHello biker. Good to find another clavichord lover!

I've only listened to Schiff's inventions. He plays the clavichord with the same touch as a conservatory trained pianist plays a piano, the same liaison between notes, and with long phrasing too - like in 19th century piano music. To see what I mean, have a listen to Jaroslav Tuma's recording of the music on clavichord - the recording's on YouTube. You may prefer Schiff to Tuma, of course - my point was purporting to be fact not value.

Perhaps you are right that Schiff is closer to a conservatory approach and how 19th century piano music is often performed today, (which if one listens to older recordings is quite different than how 19th century piano music was generally played back then). I suspect that if we heard recordings of 18th century music it may also be very different from what we hear today for example among HIP performers. What tends to happen is people just imagine how they think music may have been played at a certain time and do it in that way. What also happens is performers in an era tend to influence each other substantially so we get a lot of performers from the same epoch with similar approaches.

I listened to Schiff's Ricercar a 3 from BWV 1079 on clavichord on youtube, and I think it sounds not bad. But I think his style works better on piano, (I quite like Schiff's Bach on piano).

I'm listening to Jaroslav Tůma's Bach on clavichord right now, and personally I prefer the sound of this clavichord Bach to Schiff's.
"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa

prémont

Quote from: CelluloidBiker on November 22, 2023, 01:38:59 PMAny thoughts from those who have heard it [Schiff's clavichord twofer]?

I don't think his articulation is as bad as Mandryka writes. In a number of pieces there is at least attempts at a more pointed articulation. His tempi however are relatively steady (whether fast or slow) and there is very little agogic  expressive rubato. He plays like a skilled student but not as a mature master.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν