Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: Bulldog on September 09, 2010, 12:08:37 PM
No, but a good question.

So he just played it in a way that makes it sound like one, then? Amazing, if that's the case.
Regards,
Navneeth

Bulldog

Quote from: Opus106 on September 09, 2010, 12:38:49 PM
So he just played it in a way that makes it sound like one, then? Amazing, if that's the case.

Perhaps, but if you listen closely to that particular Wilson prelude and then switch to a lute-harpsichord recording, you'll notice a difference.

Opus106

Quote from: Bulldog on September 09, 2010, 12:52:35 PM
Perhaps, but if you listen closely to that particular Wilson prelude and then switch to a lute-harpsichord recording, you'll notice a difference.

Thanks. Will check that out.

Of course, I'm still wondering why that particular piece has been made to stand out like that. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Scarpia

Quote from: Opus106 on September 09, 2010, 12:38:49 PM

Some harpsichords have multiple choirs of strings.  He might have switched to a different configuration for that particular prelude.  The harpsichord action doesn't allow for much change in tone due to touch, so a change in the keyboard coupling would be the most likely explanation.

Drasko

He probably used buff stop, or at least that is how description sounds to me.

Scarpia

Quote from: Opus106 on September 06, 2010, 10:31:08 AM
Can anyone provide information (make/type) about the harpsichord played by Herbert Tachezi in the CMW's recording of the Musical Offering? My copy (a recent re-issue) does not contain any, and my best effort at searching with Google was fruitless.

I have the set on LP.  The notes say:

Cembali: R. Schutze, Heidelberg, in niederlandischer Bauweise
Martin Skowroneck, Bremen, nach einem italieniscen Instrument um 1720

Que

Quote from: Drasko on September 09, 2010, 03:04:33 PM
He probably used buff stop, or at least that is how description sounds to me.

Yes indeed, the use of a buff stop or lute-stop, seems to me likely.

From the Encyclopeadia Britannica:
..register controlled by both manuals, using the lute stop for the upper manual and leaving the lower manual with its own unison register. Many harpsichords of all countries were also equipped with a buff stop (sometimes also called a lute stop), a device that presses pieces of soft leather against one of the sets of unisonstrings, producing a muted, pizzicato tone.

Q

Opus106

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. The track is available on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlxF5zm98IY. Also, found a discussion on this very issue at another forum (it forms the second half of the thread); it turns out that he indeed used a lute-stop. (Now, off to Wikipedia I go, to delve into the mechanics of the harpsichord.)

Quote from: Scarpia on September 09, 2010, 06:24:26 PM
I have the set on LP.  The notes say:

Cembali: R. Schutze, Heidelberg, in niederlandischer Bauweise
Martin Skowroneck, Bremen, nach einem italieniscen Instrument um 1720

Thanks again, Scarpia. I've grown to love the sound of the instrument in that particular recording. I don't know whether it has anything to do with the music as such, but I'd like to search for performances of other works that uses the same or a similar instrument.
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

What's up with Rousset's latest Bach effort? :)

It does seem his switch of label is definitive BTW.

Fantasia in A minor BWV922; Fantasia & Fugue in A minor BWV904; Prelude & Fugue in F major BWV901; Capriccio sopra la lontananza des fratello dilettissimo BWV992; Prelude Fugue & Allegro in E flat major BWV998; Adagio in G major from Violin Sonata in C major BWV968; Prelude & Fughetta in G major BWV902; Prelude & Fugue in A minor BWV894; Aria variata in A minor BWV989.

Q

Clever Hans

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Clever Hans on December 04, 2010, 08:51:07 AM
Well it received a Diapason d'Or.

Oh yes, but that prize is only the "Certificate of Origin" of French discs.  ;D 

Clever Hans

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 04, 2010, 12:47:57 PM
Oh yes, but that prize is only the "Certificate of Origin" of French discs.  ;D

Indeed, but they are certainly more reliable and less guilty of favoritism than the Gramophone. They are also more consistent, not contradicting previous reviews or editorials every five years.

czgirb

So ... what is the recommendation records for:
* Harpsichord Concertos ...
* English Suite ...
* French Suite ...

Regarding to Well-Tempered ... I own Gould, Landowska, Schiff (Decca), & Turreck (a gift from my sister)
Regarding to Rosalyn Tureck ... amazon.com said it was labeled "New Style", but I don't know how it sound quality if compare to DGG or BBC ... can someone inform me?
http://www.amazon.com/J-S-Bach-Well-Tempered-Clavier/dp/B000AC5EG8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1293066677&sr=1-3

jlaurson

Quote from: czgirb on December 22, 2010, 04:14:50 PM
So ... what is the recommendation records for:
* Keyboard Concertos ... Angela Hewitt (if you don't mind the modern piano) ...otherwise maybe Egarr / Manze / Harmonia Mundi or Rousset / Hogwood / Decca
* English Suites... Blandine Rannou (ZigZag) or, on the piano, Andrea Bacchetti
* French Suites ... Christophe Rousset (also available singly)

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on January 23, 2011, 04:59:18 AM
As per usual, I can't find the Bach/Harpsichord thread. :-(

Such a neophyte... always misses the sacred incantation. ::)

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,289

(Thanks for the article.)
Regards,
Navneeth

prémont

Who is the moderator who has put this thread in the composer discussion board and why?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: premont on January 26, 2011, 09:53:30 AM
Who is the moderator who has put this thread in the composer discussion board and why?

Laß ihn kreuzigen!

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν