Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

milk

In comment sections and amateur reviews of Bach's keyboard music, I frequently come across the sentiment that period performance is stuffy, dry, inflexible, lacking warmth, stodgy, etc. In my experience, almost the exact opposite is true, or at least the situation is closer to even (but more on the side of period instruments). Anyway, where does this misconception of period performances come from? I think it's a persistent misconception. 

JBS

Quote from: milk on October 05, 2020, 07:21:50 PM
In comment sections and amateur reviews of Bach's keyboard music, I frequently come across the sentiment that period performance is stuffy, dry, inflexible, lacking warmth, stodgy, etc. In my experience, almost the exact opposite is true, or at least the situation is closer to even (but more on the side of period instruments). Anyway, where does this misconception of period performances come from? I think it's a persistent misconception.

Perhaps they can't adjust to the differences between modern piano and 18th century keyboard instruments.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

milk

Quote from: JBS on October 05, 2020, 07:29:17 PM
Perhaps they can't adjust to the differences between modern piano and 18th century keyboard instruments.
Maybe so. I can understand if someone says, "I'm allergic to the harpsichord." But it seems like there's an opinion out there that period performance is stuffy.

milk

Yes, this is an amazing release - and this  uniqueness is mostly achieved with the astounding range of timbre, texture, and/or color he finds on whatever harpsichord this is. It reminds me again how much more novelty/innovation I usually find in HIP approaches. What creativity there is here and it's not at all for the sake of novelty.

milk

New Colin Tilney partitas. That's exciting.

ETA: He's 87!

milk

Quote from: milk on December 09, 2020, 03:16:31 AM
New Colin Tilney partitas. That's exciting.

ETA: He's 87!
I finally had a chance to listen a second time - and on headphones. I think those looking for very subtle independence between the lines of counterpoint will find something here. But there's also the deliberate pace, very nuanced rubato and Tilney's typical care and directness. Tilney doesn't decorate much, does he? He certainly doesn't have any need for pyrotechnics. I feel like Tilney gives so much, gives a lot, without resort to the usually means. Or maybe he just makes it seem that way. Anyway, I think this is something to cherish. I want to say that you really feel the touch of his fingers - but I couldn't tell you how THAT is possible.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: milk on December 13, 2020, 11:14:04 PM
I finally had a chance to listen a second time - and on headphones. I think those looking for very subtle independence between the lines of counterpoint will find something here. But there's also the deliberate pace, very nuanced rubato and Tilney's typical care and directness. Tilney doesn't decorate much, does he? He certainly doesn't have any need for pyrotechnics. I feel like Tilney gives so much, gives a lot, without resort to the usually means. Or maybe he just makes it seem that way. Anyway, I think this is something to cherish. I want to say that you really feel the touch of his fingers - but I couldn't tell you how THAT is possible.

I really like it too - actually it is now my favorite partitas on harpsichord. Very spare, lean, but poetic - he reminds me of Toyohiko Satoh.

Just like what Mandryka said, 'stop making sense!' :)

prémont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on December 14, 2020, 01:36:37 AM

Just like what Mandryka said, 'stop making sense!' :)

To stop making sense - if I understand it in the right sense - would be senseless.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

milk

I think I would compare Tilney to Leonhardt most of all. Maybe. There's no ego here. And it's very natural sounding. He feels the music very acutely and has a wise touch.

milk

Guglielmi made a couple of recordings of Bach like this - using early fortepianos as well as clavichord. I don't know what he was up to but I'm going to give these a listen. This one seems like it's just transcriptions of stuff but there's another recording with "real" keyboard pieces. "Keyboard perspectives for the 21st century," whatever that means.

bioluminescentsquid

If you've ever wondered what Bach's organ concerti sound like played on a pedal harpsichord, here's the answer.
However, before you get your hopes up too much, the pedal harpsichord used is an 8' (rather than 16') instrument so you don't get deep harpsichord bass notes and it's very much a 'one manual' concept.
Also, the 'great' BWV 542 fugue is also there on pedal harpsichord.

In general I like Alard's organ playing more than his harpsichord playing.
Also, is it just me or is the harpsichord miking here a bit suboptimal?

bioluminescentsquid

A wonderful Partitas that I just stumbled on - sober and beautiful playing.

Edit: strangely the picture won't load, http://www.kojimarokuon.com/disc/ALCD1184.html

prémont

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on January 25, 2021, 09:41:18 AM
A wonderful Partitas that I just stumbled on - sober and beautiful playing.

Edit: strangely the picture won't load, http://www.kojimarokuon.com/disc/ALCD1184.html

Another source:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/j-s-bach-six-partitas-bwv-825-830/hnum/9172423

I do not know the recording. I think it is too expensive.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Not on spotify or Qobuz either. It's only £10.99 on itunes -- but what is itunes sound quality? In the past I think I've been disappointed, but I may be misremembering.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

amw

I would not listen to any harpsichord recording in a lossy format (which includes all iTunes or Amazon downloads). Too much data is lost.

Whenever I win the lottery or otherwise get several tens of millions dollars somehow, my first plan is to buy the entire ALM Records catalogue and sign some distribution deals with some of the big american/european distributors (Harmonia Mundi, Naxos etc).

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: amw on January 25, 2021, 04:32:50 PM
Whenever I win the lottery or otherwise get several tens of millions dollars somehow, my first plan is to buy the entire ALM Records catalogue and sign some distribution deals with some of the big american/european distributors (Harmonia Mundi, Naxos etc).

I'm all in!

Que

Quote from: amw on January 25, 2021, 04:32:50 PM
I would not listen to any harpsichord recording in a lossy format (which includes all iTunes or Amazon downloads). Too much data is lost.

There is definitely an issue with harpsichord music in compressed sound, I have the same experience.

milk

Quote from: Que on January 25, 2021, 11:03:41 PM
There is definitely an issue with harpsichord music in compressed sound, I have the same experience.
This has been driving me nuts. I just can't afford to change or buy anymore. I'm stuck streaming. Amazon quality meanders with harpsichord. It may be bad overall but within that, I find streaming isn't consistent. Apple may be better that way.