Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: premont on April 24, 2008, 04:56:33 AM
And this is, what I miss with Egarr, and why he makes me fall asleep. Period.

Sorry that your ever so DISCRIMINATING taste doesn't allow you to be receptive of his art -- me, I have no problem with Egarr's WTC now (if I did initially) and he doesn't make me fall asleep, period, eh no, semicolon!  ;)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Don

Quote from: Don on April 21, 2008, 11:26:56 AM
My memory might be a little off, but I recollect that Egarr is extremely slow in Bach's faster pieces, not particularly slow in the more reflective ones.  Unless you have money to burn, I suggest passing on the Egarr.

I decided to give Egarr's WTC I another try and am glad I did so.  Already knowing that Egarr doesn't bother with getting the most out of the music's dark side, I just took it on its own terms and found much to appreciate and enjoy.  He does a great job with the dialogue among the musical lines, and I find his variety of colors within each piece exceptional.  Still, the lack of emotional involvement does get wearisome after a while.  The WTC has the potential to take listeners from the highest levels of spirituality down to the bleakest expressions of humankind.  Egarr pretty much avoids one-half of the picture.

FideLeo

Quote from: Don on May 21, 2008, 10:22:54 PM
I decided to give Egarr's WTC I another try and am glad I did so.  Already knowing that Egarr doesn't bother with getting the most out of the music's dark side, I just took it on its own terms and found much to appreciate and enjoy.  He does a great job with the dialogue among the musical lines, and I find his variety of colors within each piece exceptional.  Still, the lack of emotional involvement does get wearisome after a while.  The WTC has the potential to take listeners from the highest levels of spirituality down to the bleakest expressions of humankind.  Egarr pretty much avoids one-half of the picture.

My impression has been that of his way of working out the polyphony also.  Nothing too instrumental there.  I think it is quite moving for what it is. 

Bach on clavichord (a different Bach)

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Quote from: traverso on May 22, 2008, 01:54:27 AM
Bach on clavichord (a different Bach)

How is the quality of the keyboard output of that Bach? I believe there are some issues in that series with tangent piano as well?

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on May 23, 2008, 12:07:20 AM
How is the quality of the keyboard output of that Bach? I believe there are some issues in that series with tangent piano as well?

Q

CPE Bach is a really interesting composer if one is receptive to the musical style of Empfindsamkeit
A tangent piano has been used in the sister series of concertante keyboard music by CPE.  In the solo series
it is just a clavichord, which was CPE's favourite instrument, and his music, like Couperin's, reveals special
affinity with a particular kind of instrument. 

Antoine Marchand

Few days ago the postman brought me some CDs from USA.
The most impressive of all them was one devoted to the six organ trio sonatas (Lyrichord, 2001), but played this time on two lute-harpsichords (following an 1800 edition).
The sound is great and I really understand why the old Bach loved this instrument.
The playing by Shawn Leopard and John Paul is excellent and you can listen to very clearly the three different lines of these pieces.
And the lute-harpsichord provides a so melancholic sense!
Does anyone know it?
If not, you can listen to: http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=580267

prémont

Thanks for the tip Antoime, I am certainly going to investigate this.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Niccceee, thanks Antoine! :)

Funny though that the instruments on the cover are no lute-harpsichords, I believe...

Q

Antoine Marchand

You´re welcome, premont and Que  ;D.

BTW, the figures on the cover are really like the lute-harpsichords that I can see in the booklet; although I agree they seem pianos or fortepianos indeed. They were built by Anden Houben, who was the recording engineer too... and this thing is superbly well recorded.

Que

Quote from: Bulldog on November 13, 2008, 04:43:36 PM
This isn't in the piano arena, but last night I listened to the best French Suites I've ever heard from harpsichordist Alan Curtis on Teldec.
He combines hesitations and staggering of musical lines expertly with the result being enhanced rhythmic tension.  Also, he varies lean and full phrasing beautifully, and the conversational element is mesmerizing.  Easily the most interesting interpretation on record.

Seconded, his English Suites are as good as I commented here:

Quote from: Que on April 29, 2007, 12:55:22 AM
Another beautiful recording is by Alan Curtis - combined with equally impressive performances of the French Suites.

And of course Christoph Rousset for either as well, if you don't mind a speeding ticket and "wet" acoustics! :)

Q

Bunny

The Curtis French and English Suites were also available in Teldec's Bach 2000 boxed set.  They were paired together with cd 101 comprising the 1st and 2nd French and English Suites, cd 102 the 3rd and 4th Suites; and cd 103 the 5th and 6th suites.  They still turn up at various outlets in the blue covers.

Bunny

For more Lautenwerk recordings, try Robert Hill and Ekkehard Weber's recording of the sonatas for viol da gamba.  That has become one of my favorite recordings of these works, and it's available very reasonably from Amazon.

Que

Quote from: Bunny on November 14, 2008, 06:34:35 AM
The Curtis French and English Suites were also available in Teldec's Bach 2000 boxed set.  They were paired together with cd 101 comprising the 1st and 2nd French and English Suites, cd 102 the 3rd and 4th Suites; and cd 103 the 5th and 6th suites.  They still turn up at various outlets in the blue covers.

And they were/are available in Warner's Apex series on three single discs:

Must my cheapest triple-A Bach recordings ever - unfortunately the series is more expensive in the USA...

Q

Bunny

Because Warner as a label doesn't exist in the USA.  All of the Warner cds are imports, but they may be less expensive now with the strengthening of the dollar. ;)

Yes a quick perusal of Amazon shows those discs for sale by the partners from less than $5.00 per disc (used) to around $15.00 new.  Quite a bargain if you don't have them yet. :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on November 14, 2008, 07:00:39 AM
And they were/are available in Warner's Apex series on three single discs:

Must my cheapest triple-A Bach recordings ever - unfortunately the series is more expensive in the USA...

Currently, do not own these works on the harpsichord - Alan Curtis seems to be a great 'value' set to obtain!  So, I was checking various sources today, and found that BRO HERE was offering 2 of the CDs on Teldec for a total of only $7!  The disc of Suites 1-2 can be obtained from Amazon on the Apex label ($5 from Caiman) - may be doing some ordering today?  ;D

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 05, 2008, 10:20:17 AM
Few days ago the postman brought me some CDs from USA.
The most impressive of all them was one devoted to the six organ trio sonatas (Lyrichord, 2001), but played this time on two lute-harpsichords (following an 1800 edition).
The sound is great and I really understand why the old Bach loved this instrument.
The playing by Shawn Leopard and John Paul is excellent and you can listen to very clearly the three different lines of these pieces.
And the lute-harpsichord provides a so melancholic sense!
Does anyone know it?
If not, you can listen to: http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=580267

Got this yesterday, and it is nothing less than a relevation. I have never heard about the two musicians, but they play in fine style and their ensemble is impeccable. The sweet sounds of the two lute-harpsichords blend in the most beautiful way. They do not make the original organ version fade, but may be recommended for additional (addictional) listening. I am sure, that Que and Harry and many others would love it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan on November 14, 2008, 09:45:42 AM
Currently, do not own these works on the harpsichord - Alan Curtis seems to be a great 'value' set to obtain!  So, I was checking various sources today, and found that BRO HERE was offering 2 of the CDs on Teldec for a total of only $7!  The disc of Suites 1-2 can be obtained from Amazon on the Apex label ($5 from Caiman) - may be doing some ordering today?  ;D

For those in the USA, I just received by BRO order - checked the linked above a few moments ago and the 3-6 suites are still available - posted yesterday in the 'listening thread' - again, total cost was $12 + S/H; so if you want these works played well on the harpsichord and want a good deal, then this route might be for you!  :D

Bunny

Quote from: premont on November 30, 2008, 02:26:31 AM
Got this yesterday, and it is nothing less than a relevation. I have never heard about the two musicians, but they play in fine style and their ensemble is impeccable. The sweet sounds of the two lute-harpsichords blend in the most beautiful way. They do not make the original organ version fade, but may be recommended for additional (addictional) listening. I am sure, that Que and Harry and many others would love it.

Apparently Leopard and Paul have a second volume of trio sonatas which has the trio sonata BWV 1079 from Musikalisches Opfer as well as works by Telemann, Distler, Langlais, & al.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on November 30, 2008, 02:26:31 AM

Congratulations, premont!  ;D Unknown players and little labels are our salvation because the mainstream isn't always interested in lute-harpsichords, clavichords, violoncellos da spalla, pianofortes, square pianos, tangent pianos and similar delights.

In this way I want to share a real find with the board  :o.

It's about Jaroslav Tuma playing the Goldberg Variations on two clavichords. The first one is an instrument built in 2004 and based on an original of 1761 by David Tannenberg and chosen as the lower manual for the pair of clavichords. On it stood a small clavichord that is a copy (2002) of a clavichord of 1787 built by Christian Gottlob Hubert of Ansbach.

Here two examples:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=v7IyetFoUkI

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=txdivlZABcM

What do you think about?

Antoine Marchand

When I wrote my previous post I believed that Bach on clavichord would be a very appeal thing for some people in this thread; but, it seems, I wasn't sufficiently specific  ::):

Goldberg Variations: http://www.arta.cz/index.php?p=f10136en&site=en

The Well-Tempered Clavichord: http://www.arta.cz/index.php?p=f10165en&site=en  :o

Inventions & Sinfonias, Duets: http://www.arta.cz/index.php?p=f10076en&site=en

I have all of these Cd's now and just can say that people interested in Bach and clavichord should go for them... Honest!