Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 05, 2009, 05:44:03 AM
J.S. Bach - Goldberg Variations

Gwendolyn Toth

This recording is not probably for all tastes; but the sound of the instrument is worth of a try.

Thanks for the recommendation, I have ordered it already. :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Bulldog on April 05, 2009, 09:08:01 AM
The only thing I'd add is that the Toth is an excellent acquisition for those who already have at least a few other versions on hand.

But what about the one who already have >150 versions at hand?? - I am not that one, of course. ;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on April 05, 2009, 10:37:43 AM
But what about the one who already have >150 versions at hand?? - I am not that one, of course. ;D

But are there 150 versions of Goldberg Variations performed on harpsichord out there?

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on April 05, 2009, 10:40:21 AM

But are there 150 versions of Goldberg Variations performed on harpsichord out there?

No, that is including the piano versions. Another "proof" that I do not refer to myself.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

Quote from: premont on April 05, 2009, 10:37:43 AM

I think the person with over 150 Goldbergs is very glad to have the distinctive Toth release. :)

Bulldog

Finally, here was a thread I was interested in seeing near the top on a regular basis.  But it was just for a few days.  Why was it put in the hallowed status and then taken away?

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on April 05, 2009, 11:49:17 AM
No, that is including the piano versions. Another "proof" that I do not refer to myself.

But are there 150 versions of Goldberg Variations out there regardless of the instruments used in the perfomance?

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: SonicMan on April 05, 2009, 08:59:18 AM
this is a 2-CD offering 'clocking in' at just over 80 mins - hope that the set is in a 'slim-line' package - not sure why this could not have been 'squeezed' onto just one disc?

BTW - have not checked but are there any other recordings of these works on the lute harpsichord for comparision & consideration?  Dave  :)

P.S. for those who have not visited the church mentioned in NYC, the restoration has been completed, I believe - a glorious experience!

Hi, Dave.

It's a double-cd, but in a regular jewel case.

I don't know other recordings on lute-harpsichord; just on clavichord, a different instrument, but also much-loved by Bach. Some time ago I recommended a real double-cd (i.e., two complete versions) by Jaroslav Tuma: the first one played on clavichord(s) and the other one on harpsichord. "All three instruments used in the recording were built by Martin Kather in Hamburg. An instrument built in 2004 and based on an original of 1761 by David Tannenberg, settled in Pennsylvania, was chosen as the lower manual for the pair of clavichords. On it stood a small instrument that is a copy (2002) of a clavichord of 1787 built by Christian Gottlob Hubert of Ansbach. The two-manual harpsichord completed in 2004 is a copy of a model by François Etienne Blanchet of 1733 in the depositary of the Château de Thoiry" (http://www.arta.cz/index.php?p=f10136en&site=en). CD1 (75:48); CD 2 (78:54).

The duration of the Toth's record is exactly 83:06 mins. Believe on me, Dave, you need these beautiful discs  ;D.

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on April 06, 2009, 04:53:42 PM

But are there 150 versions of Goldberg Variations out there regardless of the instruments used in the perfomance?

Yes, and still more I think. Ask Don, he knows.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

Quote from: premont on April 07, 2009, 05:55:52 AM
Yes, and still more I think. Ask Don, he knows.

Well, I have about 150 versions of the Goldbergs, and I know that there are plenty I don't own.  ArkivMusic lists 149 entries, and they don't include some obscure versions and those that are now oop.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Bulldog on April 07, 2009, 05:59:07 AM
Well, I have about 150 versions of the Goldbergs, and I know that there are plenty I don't own.  ArkivMusic lists 149 entries, and they don't include some obscure versions and those that are now oop.

You should change your forum name to "Goldberg".

Or not. :)

Bulldog

Quote from: Mn Dave on April 07, 2009, 06:01:51 AM
You should change your forum name to "Goldberg".

Or not. :)

Love the work, not the name.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 06, 2009, 08:07:23 PM

It's a double-cd, but in a regular jewel case.................................

The duration of the Toth's record is exactly 83:06 mins. Believe on me, Dave, you need these beautiful discs  ;D.

Antoine - thanks for the comments - storage is a BIG problem for me, so 2 discs in a regular jewel box is a relief; plus, I really have fallen in love w/ this instrument, i.e. the lute harpsichord( for those just reading this post) - this recording is on my 'wish list' and will likely be on my next order - thanks for the support from you & Don  -  Dave  :D

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on April 07, 2009, 05:59:07 AM

I have 13 versions but doubt I will want to go over 20. 

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on April 07, 2009, 06:07:48 PM
I have 13 versions but doubt I will want to go over 20. 

You seem to have the future mapped out.  I don't know how many versions I'll be acquiring in the future; I just get the ones I'm interested in and let the inventory expand in a natural manner.

Antoine Marchand

Received on Monday. Probably a must-have for "completists". Is there anyone here?  0:)

Johann Sebastian Bach
The Universal Musician
Masterworks for Clavichord

Derek Adlam
Clavichord

http://www.guildmusic.com/catalog/gui7232z.htm

premont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 10, 2009, 07:51:33 AM
Probably a must-have for "completists". Is there anyone here?  0:)

Johann Sebastian Bach
The Universal Musician

Derek Adlam
Clavichord

As to me, I am not a completist in the strict sense of the word but rather a discerning selectivist.

I own several recordings of the works on this CD already played upon harpsichord and lute harpsichord (and some of them even on piano  :-[ ), and I do not know, if I really want a clavichord recording of all Bachs harpsichord works. BTW I own the Adlam recording (harpsichord) of the Partitas, and find him outstanding in these, so this clavichord CD might be worth owning.

Maybe you can report a bit more explicit upon it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 10, 2009, 07:51:33 AM
Received on Monday. Probably a must-have for "completists". Is there anyone here?  0:)

Johann Sebastian Bach
The Universal Musician

Derek Adlam
Clavichord

http://www.guildmusic.com/catalog/gui7232z.htm

The instrument sounds convincing, which is certainly not always the case in clavichord recordings, the playing on first hearing maybe less so? Will be looking forward to your impressions. :)

[mp3=200,20,0,left]http://www.guildmusic.com/mpeg2/7232_1.mp3[/mp3]
[mp3=200,20,0,left]http://www.guildmusic.com/mpeg2/7232_21.mp3[/mp3]

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on April 10, 2009, 09:38:46 AM
but rather a discerning selectivist.

Nice description, premont; excepting, I suppose, the Beethoven's piano sonatas and the Bach's organ works  ;). Otherwise, that would be an excessively broad description  ;D.

Quote from: premont on April 10, 2009, 09:38:46 AM
Maybe you can report a bit more explicit upon it.

I have just listened to the entire CD two times. But the impression has really not been devastating (that explains my reference to "completists", as sometimes I am).

It is correctly played and very, very well recorded; but the playing is IMO a little bit dry, lacking that uplifting quality so characteristic in Bach. But those are just first impressions...  :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on April 10, 2009, 09:40:29 AM
The instrument sounds convincing, which is certainly not always the case in clavichord recordings, the playing on first hearing maybe less so? Will be looking forward to your impressions. :)

[mp3=200,20,0,left]http://www.guildmusic.com/mpeg2/7232_1.mp3[/mp3]
[mp3=200,20,0,left]http://www.guildmusic.com/mpeg2/7232_21.mp3[/mp3]

Q

Probably, you are right, Que. But there are so few recordings devoted to this beautiful instrument ...  :(