Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: SonicMan on April 19, 2009, 03:21:11 PM
Antoine, Don & Premont - if you're reading this post - the recording above seems to be rather controversial - I'm just getting into the lute harpsichord and must say that the 'small handful' that I own currently are a more pleasant listen than the Goldbergs by Toth - guess that I'm favoring Premont's comments @ the moment about this recording; but, will anyone else record these works on this instrument?  Is this a disc worth saving for historic interest?  Just letting some thoughts in my head coming out in the typing -  ;) :D   Dave

Et tu, Dave? (or: You too, Dave?)  ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on April 19, 2009, 11:09:57 AM

Jaccottet´s performance upon lute-harpsichord of some of the movements from Bach´s suite BWV 995 may serve as an example of vivid and expressive agogics

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jdnhqmc3tjg/suite c-moll prelude.wma

http://www.mediafire.com/file/meumzjv2znw/suite c-moll sarabande.wma

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dniwie2jjjj/suite c-moll gavotte.wma

In my opinion, the late Christiane Jaccottet was a tremendous harpsichordist.  I have a number of her recordings on LP and only recently did I get the Philips DUO where she performed with Arthur Grumiaux.

BTW, the CD cover has an error since she did not play violin in this recording ...

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on April 19, 2009, 03:21:11 PM
Antoine, Don & Premont - if you're reading this post - the recording above seems to be rather controversial - I'm just getting into the lute harpsichord and must say that the 'small handful' that I own currently are a more pleasant listen than the Goldbergs by Toth - guess that I'm favoring Premont's comments @ the moment about this recording; but, will anyone else record these works on this instrument?  Is this a disc worth saving for historic interest?  Just letting some thoughts in my head coming out in the typing -  ;) :D   Dave

I don't think there's anything controversial about the recording;  some like it, some don't.  So I don't believe it has any historical value.  If I didn't enjoy the performances, the disc would be in the dumpster.

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 19, 2009, 04:03:28 PM
Et tu, Dave? (or: You too, Dave?)  ;D

Each to his own, and of course I respect your taste.

Now I am interested in acquiring some of Jaroslav Tuma´s clavichord recordings. An instrument with a more obvious expressive potential than the lute-harpsichord. I think I shall choose the WTC, which is available through JPC. I only know Tuma from his recordings (on organ) of the AoF and his incomplete Clavierübung III. These are serene and introvert interpretations. However this is the way I most often prefer this music (including the fugues from WTC) played.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on April 19, 2009, 05:10:24 PM
In my opinion, the late Christiane Jaccottet was a tremendous harpsichordist.  I have a number of her recordings on LP and only recently did I get the Philips DUO where she performed with Arthur Grumiaux.

Yes, her recordings always impress me much. Fortunately I own many of her Bach recordings (solo works on Interchord and harpsichord concertos on Vox).

This box contains the lionshare of her Bach solo recordings:

http://www.amazon.com/PREMIUM-40-CD-BOX-SET/dp/B000IFRXV6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1240221566&sr=1-3
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on April 20, 2009, 01:53:47 AM
Each to his own, and of course I respect your taste.

Now I am interested in acquiring some of Jaroslav Tuma´s clavichord recordings. An instrument with a more obvious expressive potential than the lute-harpsichord. I think I shall choose the WTC, which is available through JPC. I only know Tuma from his recordings (on organ) of the AoF and his incomplete Clavierübung III. These are serene and introvert interpretations. However this is the way I most often prefer this music (including the fugues from WTC) played.

If you are looking for serene and introverted performances, this guy will not dissapoint you, Premont. And probably the WTC is even more in this vein than other Tuma's recordings.

BTW, do you know Gergely Sárközy?

If you know him, for some reason I suspect that your opinion will not be favorable. But I would like to know your opinion about him.

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 20, 2009, 07:50:11 PM
If you are looking for serene and introverted performances, this guy will not dissapoint you, Premont. And probably the WTC is even more in this vein than other Tuma's recordings.

Sounds fine. 

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 20, 2009, 07:50:11 PM
BTW, do you know Gergely Sárközy?

He is not more than a name for me. From the top of my head I can say, that he is a Hungarian multiinstrumentalist who has built his lute-harpsichord himself, and who has recorded only a small amount of Bach. This small amount may be the reason why I have not investigated him yet, - and add to this some unfavorable reviews I recall having read many years ago. Can you recommend some recordings?

I should add that am very receptive to your recommendations. Even if I am not always as enthusiastic about them as you are, I consider the listening to these a profitable and useful widening of my musical horizon.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

I have this set by Igor Kipnis for some times and I enjoy Kipnis' performance on the harpsichord.  I also have a number of CD's by Kipnis on other harpsichord works by Bach and Scarlatti ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on April 20, 2009, 02:01:03 AM
Yes, her recordings always impress me much. Fortunately I own many of her Bach recordings (solo works on Interchord and harpsichord concertos on Vox).

This box contains the lionshare of her Bach solo recordings:

http://www.amazon.com/PREMIUM-40-CD-BOX-SET/dp/B000IFRXV6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1240221566&sr=1-3

Thanks for the excellent Jaccottet's examples, Premont.

Yesterday I was listening her Goldbergs and today a disc with some Inventions & Sinfonias.

It's a shame the general disorder reigning in her catalogue.

She is an artist who deserves a better destiny than this.

Can I ask how many discs by her are included in the box set that you have pointed out?

Or maybe anyone else knows this set?

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 01, 2009, 01:39:14 PM
Thanks for the excellent Jaccottet's examples, Premont.

Yesterday I was listening her Goldbergs and today a disc with some Inventions & Sinfonias.

It's a shame the general disorder reigning in her catalogue.

She is an artist who deserves a better destiny than this.

Can I ask how many discs by her are included in the box set that you have pointed out?

Or maybe anyone else knows this set?

There is no description for this set on the Amazon website.

Coopmv

Hey, I did find a description of this set and some other 40-CD sets by Cascade ...

http://www.cascade-medien.com/40CD_Box_Katalog.pdf

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on May 01, 2009, 05:15:52 PM
Hey, I did find a description of this set and some other 40-CD sets by Cascade ...

http://www.cascade-medien.com/40CD_Box_Katalog.pdf

Thanks, Coop!   ;D

13 discs:

CD 9
The Well-Tempered Piano I BWV 846 – 869 Vol. 1

CD 10
The Well-Tempered Piano I BWV 846 – 869 Vol. 2

CD 11
The Well-Tempered Piano II BWV 870 – 893 Vol. 1

CD 12
The Well-Tempered Piano II BWV 870 – 893 Vol. 2

CD 13
French Overture BWV 831 B flat minor
French Suite no. 1 BWV 812 D minor
French Suite no. 2 BWV 813 C minor
French Suite no. 3 BWV 814 B flat minor

CD 14
French Suite no. 4 BWV 815 B Flat major
French Suite no. 5 BWV 816 G major
Italian Concerto BWV 971 F major
(Piano Exercise II)
w/ Dubravka Tomsic, piano

CD 15
English Suite no. 1 BWV 806 A major
English Suite no. 2 BWV 807 A minor
English Suite no. 3 BWV 808 G minor

CD 16
English Suite no. 4 BWV 809 F major
English Suite no. 5 BWV 810 E minor
English Suite no. 6 BWV 811 D minor

CD 17
Inventions and Symphonies BWV 772-801
Various Preludes

CD 21
The Goldberg Variations BWV 988
(Aria with 30 variances from Piano Exercise IV)
Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue
BWV 903 D minor

CD 34
Toccata BWV 913 D minor
Toccata BWV 914 E minor
Toccata BWV 912 D major and other Toccatas

CD 35
Partita for harpsichord BWV 830 E minor
Four Duets from Piano Exercise III BWV
802 - 805
Partita no. 7 BWV 831 B minor (Overture after the French Fashion)

CD 38
Partita for harpsichord BWV 826 C minor
Partita for harpsichord BWV 828 D major

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 01, 2009, 05:47:34 PM
Thanks, Coop!   ;D

13 discs:

CD 9
The Well-Tempered Piano I BWV 846 – 869 Vol. 1

CD 10
The Well-Tempered Piano I BWV 846 – 869 Vol. 2

CD 11
The Well-Tempered Piano II BWV 870 – 893 Vol. 1

CD 12
The Well-Tempered Piano II BWV 870 – 893 Vol. 2

CD 13
French Overture BWV 831 B flat minor
French Suite no. 1 BWV 812 D minor
French Suite no. 2 BWV 813 C minor
French Suite no. 3 BWV 814 B flat minor

CD 14
French Suite no. 4 BWV 815 B Flat major
French Suite no. 5 BWV 816 G major
Italian Concerto BWV 971 F major
(Piano Exercise II)
w/ Dubravka Tomsic, piano

CD 15
English Suite no. 1 BWV 806 A major
English Suite no. 2 BWV 807 A minor
English Suite no. 3 BWV 808 G minor

CD 16
English Suite no. 4 BWV 809 F major
English Suite no. 5 BWV 810 E minor
English Suite no. 6 BWV 811 D minor

CD 17
Inventions and Symphonies BWV 772-801
Various Preludes

CD 21
The Goldberg Variations BWV 988
(Aria with 30 variances from Piano Exercise IV)
Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue
BWV 903 D minor

CD 34
Toccata BWV 913 D minor
Toccata BWV 914 E minor
Toccata BWV 912 D major and other Toccatas

CD 35
Partita for harpsichord BWV 830 E minor
Four Duets from Piano Exercise III BWV
802 - 805
Partita no. 7 BWV 831 B minor (Overture after the French Fashion)

CD 38
Partita for harpsichord BWV 826 C minor
Partita for harpsichord BWV 828 D major

I would pay for the set just to get the CD's by Christiane Jaccottet.  The rest of the artists probably are not that impressive ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on May 01, 2009, 06:07:49 PM
I would pay for the set just to get the CD's by Christiane Jaccottet.  The rest of the artists probably are not that impressive ...

It's my impression too; although I could be interested in Miklos Spanyi, Milos Jurkovic and Zuzana Ruzickova.  :)

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 01, 2009, 08:23:24 PM

It's my impression too; although I could be interested in Miklos Spanyi, Milos Jurkovic and Zuzana Ruzickova.  :)

Yes Spanyi is worth hearing, and also the CD with Esther Sialm. Her Dorian T&F is tremendous.
Also the violin S&P´s and the cellosuites are interesting.
Jurkovic and Ruzickova are dry and boring.
The recorded (and mastered) sound is generally decent.

However the box is a steal for $20  = $½ per CD.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on May 02, 2009, 12:32:25 AM
Yes Spanyi is worth hearing, and also the CD with Esther Sialm. Her Dorian T&F is tremendous.
Also the violin S&P´s and the cellosuites are interesting.
Jurkovic and Ruzickova are dry and boring.
The recorded (and mastered) sound is generally decent.

However the box is a steal for $20  = $½ per CD.

Well, I was interested, but today the box set appears "temporarily out of stock" on Amazon.

It seems my interest was excessively "public".  :(  I suppose will find it on another site, but the price was excellent.

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 02, 2009, 07:23:24 AM
Well, I was interested, but today the box set appears "temporarily out of stock" on Amazon.

It seems my interest was excessively "public".  :(

Which Amazon website did you check?  The US website does not show it being out of stock?

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on May 02, 2009, 07:27:24 AM
Which Amazon website did you check?  The US website does not show it being out of stock?

The link in the Premont's message. I will see another.

Antoine Marchand

Thanks, Premont.

Yesterday I found in a local store the Mozart box set, but not this.

But in replace I found several beautiful discs of the collection "Aus Schlössern un Residenzen" (Pilz Acanta now), with some beautiful recordings from the early seventies.  :)