Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: premont on May 11, 2009, 10:46:34 AM
His pedal harpsichord is probably only made up of of the pedalboard. He must have a "usual" harpsichord too (mounted upon the pedalboard) on which he can play the manual parts.

Thanks. :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: premont on May 11, 2009, 10:46:34 AM
His pedal harpsichord is probably only made up of of the pedalboard. He must have a "usual" harpsichord too (mounted upon the pedalboard) on which he can play the manual parts.

Don's comments peaked my interest since I just ordered the Peter Watchorn WTC performances; so, did some googling just now and came up w/ a bunch of pictures, such as the one below which is described as "a magnificent pair of instruments, a German double-manual harpsichord and matching pedal harpsichord built by Keith Hill & Phillip Tyre in 1985 " - website HERE w/ more images and text - boy, looks like a tough set of instruments to play together!  :o

Bulldog

Quote from: SonicMan on May 11, 2009, 01:32:26 PM
Don's comments peaked my interest since I just ordered the Peter Watchorn WTC performances; so, did some googling just now and came up w/ a bunch of pictures, such as the one below which is described as "a magnificent pair of instruments, a German double-manual harpsichord and matching pedal harpsichord built by Keith Hill & Phillip Tyre in 1985 " - website HERE w/ more images and text - boy, looks like a tough set of instruments to play together!  :o

We can handle it.  You take the top; I'll take the bottom.  We'll make beautiful music together.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on May 11, 2009, 01:38:11 PM
We can handle it.  You take the top; I'll take the bottom.  We'll make beautiful music together.

Well, Don - it's a DATE!  ;D  Maybe I could 'punch out' a few Tin Pan Alley tunes?  Dave  :)

Antoine Marchand

After a hard day in the office, it's a pleasure to think about these things.  ;D

During the weekend I found an article by the young harpsichordist Mahan Stefahani (entitled "Putting the Pedal to the WTC") with some additional details about the pedal harpsichord and the recording by Watchorn:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/putting-the-pedal/Oct-06/23562

Here a picture of the instrument:

Coopmv

The harpsichord playing by Christiane Jaccottet in this set is just fabulous.  I have already ripped WTC, the French and the English Suites to my desktop ...     ;D

Coopmv

Here is a WTC recording on harpsichord I really would like to have ...

FideLeo

Quote from: Coopmv on May 21, 2009, 08:45:12 PM
Here is a WTC recording on harpsichord I really would like to have ...

Shouldn't be difficult!
Been re-re-released on two VirginX2 sets and (this incarnation) available at amazon market for a few pennies.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Coopmv

Quote from: traverso on May 21, 2009, 11:24:27 PM
Shouldn't be difficult!
Been re-re-released on two VirginX2 sets and (this incarnation) available at amazon market for a few pennies.

It appears to be available as a 4-CD box set as pictured ...

FideLeo

Quote from: Coopmv on May 22, 2009, 04:18:12 AM

It appears to be available as a 4-CD box set as pictured ...

Has ugly covers (I'd rather listen to than look at Mr van Asperen) in a bulky double jewel box.   But for a couple of quid only I didn't mind and it is what I have.  For a little bit more one can get the same recordings as two veritaX2, a better choice IMO.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Coopmv

Quote from: traverso on May 22, 2009, 06:42:23 AM
Has ugly covers (I'd rather listen to than look at Mr van Asperen) in a bulky double jewel box.   But for a couple of quid only I didn't mind and it is what I have.  For a little bit more one can get the same recordings as two veritaX2, a better choice IMO.

My buying binge at MDT will have to slow down since the Pound has gone up some 12% against the USD over the past month.  I have bought some 400 CD's from MDT since January.

FideLeo

Quote from: Coopmv on May 22, 2009, 06:49:13 AM
I have bought some 400 CD's from MDT since January.

Well the two Verita twofers are probably available in the US.  

Edit. Yes they are.  Just checked @ Amazon.

Coopmv

Quote from: traverso on May 22, 2009, 06:54:36 AM
Well the two Verita twofers are probably available in the US.  

Edit. Yes they are.  Just checked @ Amazon.

Understood.  Every CD I have bought from MDT is also available in the US except that when it comes to small English label, MDT's sale price is just so much better than what is available here stateside.  A typical Hyperion CD is a few dollars cheaper at MDT, even based on the latest pound/dollar exchange rate.

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on May 22, 2009, 03:48:45 PM

.....the following 40-CD set which includes probably all the Bach keyboard works recorded by the late Christiane Joccottet.  Most of her oirginal recordings are now OOP.

Unfortunately not. Threre are at least three CDs more (the lute-harpsichord CD I offered exerpts from in the Bach harpsichord thread, and two more, which I do not own, and which were available only during a short period of time in the late 1980es, containing works which are no part of any collection e.g Fantasia and Fugue a-minor. Add to this her recording (for Vox) of all the Bach harpsichord concertos (for harpsichord and strings to be precise).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Some time ago the opinions about Egarr's Goldberg Variations were not very favorable here. Currently, I have been considering his Book I of the WTC (Harmonia Mundi, 2 CDs). I'm especially intrigued about the tempi used by Egarr. I have believed to hear there some attractive slow tempi and certain doses of well delivered rubato. Any opinion?

BTW, does somebody know the new recording of the AoF on Naxos (by Sergio Vartolo)? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Coopmv

I have the following WTC sets on order ...

So the harpsichord version of these works have not been overlooked ...  ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on August 23, 2009, 08:02:47 AM
Some time ago the opinions about Egarr's Goldberg Variations were not very favorable here. Currently, I have been considering his Book I of the WTC (Harmonia Mundi, 2 CDs). I'm especially intrigued about the tempi used by Egarr. I have believed to hear there some attractive slow tempi and certain doses of well delivered rubato. Any opinion?

BTW, does somebody know the new recording of the AoF on Naxos (by Sergio Vartolo)? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

:)

I am sitting on the fence with regard to further acquisitons of Egarr's recordings in view of a number of not so favorable reviews of his recent recordings ...

Antoine Marchand

Many times in the past I thought to purchase that WTC by Kirkpatrick, but I left the idea when I purchased a satisfactory version played on clavichord by Jaroslav Tuma.  But who knows if in the future...  :)

prémont

As I wrote earlier, I think Egarr´s WTC I is underarticulated and the agogics contrieved. The Lehmann tuning is interesting, adding to create a rather soft sound I think, but another somewhat more articulate interpretation (Watchorn) uses the same tuning.

Listened to it once, about a month ago. Did not impress me much. Shall relisten after another bunch of Beethoven piano sonatas / Lewis.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

As a Bach keyboard artist, Egarr is always searching for "cantabile heaven", and I think he succeeds.  However, what suffers is Bach's dark side and sharpness of contours.

Personally, I prefer his WTC I to his Goldbergs.  Concerning slow tempi in his WTC, that's comes primarily through the faster pieces.  The best thing is his rhythmic hesitations and other rubato effects.  Overall, not a great set but quite satisfying as long as you're not looking for the music's underbelly.