Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: Bulldog on October 28, 2009, 01:16:35 PM
It's so much easier to refer to a particular recording as wet or dry than provide a description, but I'll give it a shot.

For me, a wet recording sounds to a degree as if the source is slightly submerged in a tub of water - nothing is crisp or clear, so the detail of the various musical lines is blurred.  Although this damages homophonic music, it's a killer in polyphonic/contrapuntal music.

A equally odious sound is over-reverberation that sounds as if the music's source is an airplane hangar.  This type of sound has all the debilitating characteristics of a wet sound.  Of course, there are many who would refer to such sound as rich and gorgeous.

Dry sound is rather clinical with every detail open to the listener's discriminating tastes.  From what I regularly read and hear, most folks do not like dry/clinical sound.

The Rousset/Decca and Ambroisie sounds are so different that they are super examples to determine your preferences.

Thanks, Don. I appreciate that. :) From that sounds of it (no pun intended), it seems I am someone who prefers the "dry" sound, although I can't be very sure. I'll have to listen to these examples you mention.

BTW, this is slightly off-topic, have you listened to Leonhardt's English Suites on Seon? And if you have, how would you describe it in terms of its "sonic moisture content"?
Regards,
Navneeth

prémont

Quote from: opus106 on October 28, 2009, 01:29:39 PM
BTW, this is slightly off-topic, have you listened to Leonhardt's English Suites on Seon? And if you have, how would you describe it in terms of its "sonic moisture content"?

Interesting question. Especially if you compare with his later recordings for EMI.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Thanks, Don. I appreciate that. :) From that sounds of it (no pun intended), it seems I am someone who prefers the "dry" sound, although I can't be very sure. I'll have to listen to these examples you mention.

BTW, this is slightly off-topic, have you listened to Leonhardt's English Suites on Seon? How would you describe it in terms of its "sonic moisture content"?

You are now "on topic" again. 8)

To comment on Rousset's Ambroisie recordings: their sound is uncommonly rich, reverberant if you wish. This is IMO caused by the very rich sounding Ruckers harpsichord in combination with a rich soundstage. I like it, but at first I was put off by the tonal blending - as if Rousset played too fast (although he does play pretty fast), but I quickly got adjusted. Now I'm a big fan of these recordings, can't wait for a WTC.

BTW, besides Rousset my primary recommendation for the English Suites, and for the French Suites for that matter, is Alan Curtis (Warner/Teldec). See post HERE.

Q

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on October 28, 2009, 04:59:30 AM
So, thanks to your post, Premont,  I have been getting a lot of pleasure from his Harpsichord recordings on EMI recently.
But this point about the upbeats -- I just can't hear it. Can you point out a passage where it's really clear?

Very easily.

Almost every fugue-subject with upbeat may serve as an example. F.i. the F-sharp major from book I.

The first notes of the fugue subject are C-sharp F-sharp E-sharp F-sharp. The first note C-sharp is the upbeat, the second note F-sharp the good note.. He (Walcha) ties the first two notes (the upbeat to the good note) making it sound da-a da da, instead of supporting the rhythm by playing the first note detached and tie the second note(the good note) to the third note, making it sound da da-a da. I think he made it in this way in order to let the fugue subject stand out every time it appears.

Tied upbeats became common with the Vienna-classical style, since you on a fortepiano can play tied upbeats without disturbing the rhythm, by stressing the good note dynamically- This is not possible on a harpsichord.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on October 28, 2009, 01:42:00 PM
Not yet. I do not know the performer.

This is a "Kodak moment" (i.e.: a rare, one time, moment that is captured by a picture, or should have been captured by a picture), dear Premont;D Don't you remember those lovely trio sonatas on lute-harpsichord?

:)

Bulldog

I have Leonhardt's English Suites on EMI and assume the Seon set comes from different performances.

Bulldog

Quote from: Que on October 28, 2009, 01:50:37 PM
BTW, besides Rousset my primary recommendation for the English Suites, and for the French Suites for that matter, is Alan Curtis (Warner/Teldec). See post HERE.

Q

I have those Curtis recordings, and they are at the top of the mountain.

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 28, 2009, 03:20:49 PM
D Don't you remember those lovely trio sonatas on lute-harpsichord?

Oh yes, now I recall, that one of the two performers was called John Paul. :-[
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Opus106

Quote from: Bulldog on October 28, 2009, 03:41:36 PM
I have Leonhardt's English Suites on EMI and assume the Seon set comes from different performances.

I suppose so. That (containing the even-numbered suites) was my first harpsichord CD. I was still at an early stage and was not entirely comfortable with listening to the instrument for long periods of time. And that CD had passages which I found grating -- at times it was just loud sounds, especially when a series of notes was repeated over and over. Of course, in the intervening two or so years, I have come to appreciate works for the harpsichord, and I like it the most when, like you said, every detail can be clearly heard.

I recently bought Leonhardt's Partitas on EMI. I don't have the problem with the sound in that recording.
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Que on October 28, 2009, 01:50:37 PM
To comment on Rousset's Ambroisie recordings: their sound is uncommonly rich, reverberant if you wish. This is IMO caused by the very rich sounding Ruckers harpsichord in combination with a rich soundstage. I like it, but at first I was put off by the tonal blending - as if Rousset played too fast (although he does play pretty fast), but I quickly got adjusted. Now I'm a big fan of these recordings, can't wait for a WTC.

whole-heartedly agree-agree-agree.

Fell in love, instantly, with this Rousset-Ambroise recording:

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2005/11/harpsichord-like-rarely-ever.html

...and the attraction never waned.

Que

Much talk about Rouset's recordings on Ambroisie lately! :)
For newcomers an excellent opportunity arises with this new issue: a 6CDset with the English & French Suites + the Klavierbüchlein!

At €30 at jpc  you'll get three sets for the price of one! :o :)

Q

jlaurson

Quote from: Que on November 21, 2009, 06:49:37 PM
Much talk about Rouset's recordings on Ambroisie lately! :)
For newcomers an excellent opportunity arises with this new issue: a 6CDset with the English & French Suites + the Klavierbüchlein!

At €30 at jpc  you'll get three sets for the price of one! :o :)

Q

Oh. My. Gawd.

What a f$%^&()_)^incredible deal. That's less than any one of these sets cost. And the best f%$^&*()(*^% Bach on the Harpsichord* out there.
Just grab that bundle and ask questions later.

* 1.) Blandine Rannou comes close 2.) Rich acoustic may surprise.

Drasko

Quote from: jlaurson on November 22, 2009, 02:06:21 AM
Oh. My. Gawd.

Indeed! I want that. But the question is: grab it now with jpc exorbitant shipping rates or wait until it shows up at friendlier British sites, will the price there be as good?

jlaurson

Quote from: Drasko on November 22, 2009, 02:38:04 AM
Indeed! I want that. But the question is: grab it now with jpc exorbitant shipping rates or wait until it shows up at friendlier British sites, will the price there be as good?
It's not marked as "specially priced" on jpc, so that factoid would go down on the "let's wait and see" side. If it shows up more expensive, you can still check and see if shipping makes the price difference worth getting it from Germania or not. But get, you must. I justed asked Ambroise if/when this set will be distributed in the US. I hope still this year.

Drasko

http://www.amazon.de/Englische-Suiten-Französische-Christophe-Rousset/dp/B002ONGXV6

It is listed at amazon.de at same price, which makes jpc redundant (in my case at least). But it's still worth to wait and see what price will British come up with, especially with their frequent sales.

DarkAngel

Rousset/Ambroise 6CD set is an essential Bach purchase for harpsicord performance

I could probably sell the three Ambroise sets used at Amazon now and make profit over buying new 6CD set............but the individual sets have very lavish packaging which I like and will probably just keep them.

Bulldog

Quote from: DarkAngel on November 22, 2009, 07:14:07 AM
Rousset/Ambroise 6CD set is an essential Bach purchase for harpsicord performance

Oh, I think there are many other Bach harpsichord recordings of greater priority.

DarkAngel

Harmonia Mundi has kindly collected together a reduced price 4CD boxset of Andreas Staier performances of Bach, just listened to the partitas and have not heard any better for harpsicord including newest Pinnock set, contents:

1)fantasies and fuges (10)
2)partitas 1,2,3
3)partitas 4,5,6
4)Italian Concerto, French Overture

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on December 12, 2009, 05:19:49 PM
Harmonia Mundi has kindly collected together a reduced price 4CD boxset of Andreas Staier performances of Bach, just listened to the partitas and have not heard any better for harpsicord including newest Pinnock set, contents:

1)fantasies and fuges (10)
2)partitas 1,2,3
3)partitas 4,5,6
4)Italian Concerto, French Overture

All the recordings by Andrea Staier I have were performance on fortepiano ...