Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

I purchased this 2008 release by Staier which contains early works by a young Bach not included in the boxset, very vital exciting performance that makes you wonder why almost everyone else sounds so restrained. I know some more traditional Bach fans will dismiss this as pure showmanship, for me it is a revelation and pushes the envelope in a positive way for Bach solo keyboard works  ;)

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on January 10, 2010, 08:48:09 AM
Just to mention again a well-discussed performer on this thread,  Robert Hill - this 2-CD offering has him performing on the harpsichord (entire first disc; one work on second disc), lautenwerk (or lute-harpsichord, i.e. gut strung harpsichord), and clavichord (latter two instruments on the second disc).

The sources for this music are varied; the first disc contains transcriptions of the solo violin partitas/sonatas, one by Hill (BWV 1104) and the other two by Bach; the other disc has several works written specifically for solo clavier, several Bach adaptations, and a final Hill transcription (BWV 1001) of a solo violin work.

This set now complements the other two that I own w/ him (Art of Fugue & Lautenwerk disc - currently at BRO for $8!  :D

I have noticed BRO often has these Hanssler recordings at major discount.  I will probably place my third BRO order at the end of this month.  At these prices, I always tend to buy at least 20 CD's per order ...    ;)

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on January 13, 2010, 07:03:36 PM
I have noticed BRO often has these Hanssler recordings at major discount.  I will probably place my third BRO order at the end of this month.  At these prices, I always tend to buy at least 20 CD's per order ...    ;)

All the issues of Bach's solo keyboard music on Hänssler with Robert Hill are highly recommendable! I also like the multiple performer series with the organ works.

Q

Bulldog

Quote from: Que on January 13, 2010, 10:56:36 PM
All the issues of Bach's solo keyboard music on Hänssler with Robert Hill are highly recommendable! I also like the multiple performer series with the organ works.

Q

Agreed.  I bought up all the solo keyboard recordings in the series; my only disappointment was Kay Johannsen.

Bunny

Quote from: erato on February 08, 2010, 01:13:16 PM

6 CD box set, cheap!

That's the collected French Suites, English Suites, and Klavierbüchlein für Wilhelm Friedrich -- quite a nice set.

Gurn Blanston

I'm sure that this disk has been discussed, but scanning 41 pages for the review is too much, even for the Gurnatron 5500TM. :)  So anyway, I just ran across this item and picked it up out of sheer curiosity (plus I like the tocattas!).

So, is it a famous winner or a sad tribute to losers?  ;)  Time will tell.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on January 13, 2010, 07:03:36 PM

Stuart - yep - just picked up a recommendation of the Bach Partitas w/ Weiss on harpsichord, but added 3 other CDs to counteract the S/H which is pretty cheap anyway from this place - happy hunting! Dave  :D

Antoine Marchand

After his excellent organ trio sonatas the young Benjamin Alard have recorded the complete Clavier-Übung I.

Here his live performance of Bach's Partita No.3 in A minor, BWV 827:

1.- Fantasia:

2.- Allemande:

3.- Courante:

4.- Sarabanda:

5.- Burlesca & Scherzo:

6.- Gigue

Enjoy! (despite the low sound quality)  :)

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on May 15, 2010, 04:30:03 PM

After his excellent organ trio sonatas the young Benjamin Alard have recorded the complete Clavier-Übung I.

I have sampled that set a while ago and were, and remain so after these samples, unconvinced.  ::) This seemingly overly academic and somewhat "wooden" approach (he "brakes down" the music without keeping proper impetus IMO) pales next to Rousset's (Decca) elegance, imagination and vigor.

Q

DarkAngel

Here his live performance of Bach's Partita No.3 in A minor, BWV 827:

Hmmmmm.......think I will also pass on these harpsichord partitas
a bit too straight forward and earth bound for me, seems to be just causually playing them and not giving us an inspired rendition. My favorite harpsichord partitas are the dramatic Scott Ross and Andreas Staier sets (Staier boxset mentioned above previously), Rousset Decca boxset not far behind

As for Roussett I think in general his early Decca/Lyre Bach recordings done when he was younger are very good but have been eclipsed overall by his own excellent new recordings for Ambroisie label, he has raised the bar even higher. We just need to wait for more Ambroise recordings to appear (partitas, goldberg, WTC etc), the current Ambroisie boxset is an absolute essential Bach purchase and at reduced price a must own harpsichord document........

I purchased the full price individual digipak releases from this set when first released, must take solace in knowing that I have beautiful artwork of these lushly packaged releases to cherish

Coopmv

Quote from: DarkAngel on May 16, 2010, 06:51:46 AM

Hmmmmm.......think I will also pass on these harpsichord partitas
a bit too straight forward and earth bound for me, seems to be just causually playing them and not giving us an inspired rendition. My favorite harpsichord partitas are the dramatic Scott Ross and Andreas Staier sets (Staier boxset mentioned above previously), Rousset Decca boxset not far behind

As for Roussett I think in general his early Decca/Lyre Bach recordings done when he was younger are very good but have been eclipsed overall by his own excellent new recordings for Ambroisie label, he has raised the bar even higher. We just need to wait for more Ambroise recordings to appear (partitas, goldberg, WTC etc), the current Ambroisie boxset is an absolute essential Bach purchase and at reduced price a must own harpsichord document........

I purchased the full price individual digipak releases from this set when first released, must take solace in knowing that I have beautiful artwork of these lushly packaged releases to cherish

I was impressed with Rousset going back to the days when he performed with the AAM under Christopher Hogwood.  The CD's of Bach Concertos for 3 & 4 harpsichords and Harpsichord Concertos are nothing short of fabulous IMO ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on May 16, 2010, 12:18:43 AM
I have sampled that set a while ago and were, and remain so after these samples, unconvinced.  ::) This seemingly overly academic and somewhat "wooden" approach (he "brakes down" the music without keeping proper impetus IMO) pales next to Rousset's (Decca) elegance, imagination and vigor.

Q

Q,  I trust your judgment.  I am only after the tried and true performers.  There are just so many keyboard artists out there and not everyone can be a true virtuoso, who has to be more than just technically flawless to deserve such accolade.

Bulldog

Thanks for the samples.  I enjoyed them except for the Fantasia and Gigue; those performances could use greater vibrancy and faster tempos.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on May 16, 2010, 08:19:34 AM
Thanks for the samples.  I enjoyed them except for the Fantasia and Gigue; those performances could use greater vibrancy and faster tempos.

You're welcome, Don. I also enjoyed them.

Apparently, the Fantasia and Gigue sound more satisfactory in the CD.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on May 16, 2010, 07:56:23 AM
Q,  I trust your judgment.  I am only after the tried and true performers.  There are just so many keyboard artists out there and not everyone can be a true virtuoso, who has to be more than just technically flawless to deserve such accolade.

I find this statement totally incomprehensible. Why a music lover should accept another's member judgment, when he can listen to exactly the same samples or watch the same videos. After all, Q has said that he has only heard some samples online and, apparently, he hasn't listened to Benjamin Alard before (for example, his excellent organ sonatas). 

prémont

Quote from: Que on May 16, 2010, 12:18:43 AM

Surprising. I own two Bach CDs by Benjamin Allard (not the Partitas though), and in these I think he manages very well to use his scholarship and his inagination in a fruitful way, without breaking the music down.

And while we are at Rousset, IMO his Bach Partita´s pale next to Suzuki´s and Walcha´s passion, Haugsands imagination, Mortensens colourfulness, Gilbert´s elegance, Leonhardts expressiveness, Ross´vigor -and I could go on.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Here his live performance of Bach's Partita No.3 in A minor, BWV 827: [....]

Enjoy! (despite the low sound quality) :)
Thanks for posting these!
I enjoy his reading of the Trio Sonatas, and my first impressions of this Partita are positive, too.

Such beautiful music anyhow, apart from any personal preference. :)

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 16, 2010, 07:56:23 AM
Q,  I trust your judgment.  I am only after the tried and true performers. 

First, Alard is "tried and true".  His recordings for Hortus and Alpha have received much praise.

Second, one of the exciting aspects of classical music is discovering new composers and artists.

Third, are you such a lazy listener that you allow others to do the listening for you?