Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: premont on January 26, 2011, 10:57:38 AM
Bien sur. Que est ce que il a fait?

Marc probably never looked into the composers section.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Marc

Quote from: masolino on January 26, 2011, 11:35:14 AM
Marc probably never looked into the composers section.

AFAIK, this thread was originally in the 'Great Recordings And Reviews' section. I'm mainly a lurker here and I enjoy it! :D

FideLeo

Quote from: Marc on January 26, 2011, 11:41:36 AM
AFAIK, this thread was originally in the 'Great Recordings And Reviews' section. I'm mainly a lurker here and I enjoy it! :D

It IS in the "Great Recordings" section...Sorry, I am a bit confused by what you wrote above.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

prémont

Quote from: masolino on January 26, 2011, 12:19:26 PM
It IS in the "Great Recordings" section...Sorry, I am a bit confused by what you wrote above.

It has been put back without further comments.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: premont on January 26, 2011, 12:22:33 PM
It has been put back without further comments.

No one wants to be crucified.

OTOH ..... aber Jesus schwieg stille. :-\

Anyway, listening to a certain Bach right now (Watchorn playing Toccatas) .... and off to bed!

This is Member Marcus sayin' good night to yez all, and God bless yez.

prémont

Quote from: milk on April 10, 2011, 03:09:49 AM
These are some of my favorite Bach HIP recordings (does this belong in another forum?):

Bach: Partitas for Harpsichord/Masaaki Suzuki
Bach: 6 Partitas BWV 825-830/Gustav Leonhardt
Virgin Veritas - Bach: French Suites/Davitt Moroney
The French Suites/Bradley Brookshire
Bach: Variations Goldberg, BWV 988/Pierre Hantai
Variations Glodberg/Scott Ross
Bach: Goldberg Variations/Kenneth Gilbert
Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Books I&II/Kenneth Gilbert
The Well-Tempered Clavier/Glen Wilson
Bach: The Well Tempered Clavier/Robert Levin
Johann Sebastian Bach, the Art of Fugue BWV 1080/Christian Rieger
The Art Of The Fugue/Bradley Brookshire
Bach: English Suites/Gustav Leonhardt
Bach: Inventions and Sinfonias/Christiane Jaccottet
Bach, J.S.: Harpsichord Works/Christophe Rousset
Bach: Works for Lute Harpsicord/Robert Hill
Bach: Concertos Pour Clavecin/Bertrand Cuiller, Daniel Cuiller & Stradivaria
Bach - Complete Harpsichord Concerti on Antique Instruments/Moroney/Kim/Haas/Flint/Pearl
Bach: Harpsichord Concertos/Ottavio Dantone & Accademia Bizantina
Bach: 8 Violin Sonatas/Elizabeth Blumenstock & John Butt

Anyone have any suggestions as to the Toccatas? I have recordings by Tilney and Troeger...Perhaps I should acquire another set?

Knowing > 80% of these recordings I agree about their exellency, even if they do not always represent the ones I prefer. F.i. I find Brookshires AoF too mannered, not the least compared to Rieger, whom you mention too. Concerning the Toccatas manualiter my favorite (and Que´s) is Leon Berben. Another safe choice is van Asperen (his second recording for Teldec).

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

Quote from: premont on April 22, 2011, 10:55:27 AM
Knowing > 80% of these recordings I agree about their exellency, even if they do not always represent the ones I prefer. F.i. I find Brookshires AoF too mannered, not the least compared to Rieger, whom you mention too.

That's interesting that you consider Brookshire's AoF mannered.  I think there's validity in your opinion, although I'd prefer to call it distinctive playing.  Regardless, I do love listening to his account now and then.

milk

Knowing > 80% of these recordings I agree about their exellency, even if they do not always represent the ones I prefer. F.i. I find Brookshires AoF too mannered, not the least compared to Rieger, whom you mention too. Concerning the Toccatas manualiter my favorite (and Que´s) is Leon Berben. Another safe choice is van Asperen (his second recording for Teldec).

I can understand this point about Brookshire. I hesitated to throw it up there. The Reiger is perhaps a deeper and more reliable interpretation by far. I would also hesitate to use the term "mannered." I think Watchorn's Bach recordings are mannered. Brookshire is, in my very uneducated opinion, a lot of fun even if he's not profound. But as I say, I know so little about music. I love hearing opinions from more knowledgeable people like yourselves.   

milk

I'd love to get your opinion about recordings that you prefer. I'm going to check out Berben. I hesitate on Van Asperen because the downloadable recording is together with Goldbergs and I don't know if I can justify another Goldberg. Incidentally, I just got Staier's Goldbergs. I'm really enjoying them. The instrument is interesting. Perhaps there are weak points and inconsistencies. But I love Staier. I really like his version of variation 20. I wonder if you'll object to his liberal use of various registers? 

milk

To continue this, any ideas about the Partitas? I love the two I mentioned. I'm crazy about Bach's partitas for harpsichord. I have Pinnock but I don't think he stands up to Leonhardt and Suzuuki here. What about the French suites? I also have the highly acclaimed Cates recording. Somehow it doesn't grab me like Moroney's recording does.  I'd also like to hear about people's favorite Couperin (F) recordings but perhaps it's for another forum.

Que

Quote from: milk on April 23, 2011, 04:16:21 PM
To continue this, any ideas about the Partitas? I love the two I mentioned. I'm crazy about Bach's partitas for harpsichord. I have Pinnock but I don't think he stands up to Leonhardt and Suzuuki here. What about the French suites? I also have the highly acclaimed Cates recording. Somehow it doesn't grab me like Moroney's recording does.  I'd also like to hear about people's favorite Couperin (F) recordings but perhaps it's for another forum.

You'll find plenty of recommendations in this thread, but just to drop some names: :)
For the Partitas Chritophe Rousset (Decca) (I notice that he doesn't show on your list at all, maybe you don' like his Bach?)
For the French Suites - and for the English Suites, for that matter: Alan Curtis (Teldec/Warner) and again Rousset, but now his newer recordings on Ambroisie.

Q

Mandryka

The French Suites : I like a light touch and a strong dancey rhythm

HIP or not I think that Landowska's pre war Suite 6 is worth hearing for sure. (The CD below also has some wonderful toccatas). Swinging rhythms and a light touch. The tone of her Playel harpsichord is not so forceful here as in post war recordings. The English Suite there is post war and IMO much less interesting.

Ditto for Kirkpatrick. The instrument is so colourful and the rhythms are so swinging. I like the elastic bad twanginess of his harsichord, which gives to my ears a lovely earthy quality to some of the dances

Walcha is good IMO (I put it on symponyshare). though maybe not as supremely excellent here as in the English Suites. The instrument is a bit clangy, but it's not problematic. I like the fast tempos, the high energy.

The more I play it the more I appreciate Koopman's CD, but I find him bland compare with Landowska and Kirkpatrick and Walcha.

I can't get into David Cates's slow tempos, which just seem to wallow sentimentally  to me.

The Partitas are easier as there are piles of really characterful and enjoyable CDs

I have Leonhardt on Virgin Veritas and I love it, becuae it's so focussed. I'm sorry if I can't explain that better, but he just seems to lead you inevitably through the argument of the music. I love Kirkpatrick too -- maybe even more than in the French Suites. Kirkpatrick's box of 1950s recordings is generally one of the most fun Bach Harpsichord sets I own. It's coming to the desert island.
[asin]B0002ANQW2[/asin]
[asin]B000066HE9[/asin]

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

Quote from: Que on April 23, 2011, 06:20:36 PM
You'll find plenty of recommendations in this thread, but just to drop some names: :)
For the Partitas Chritophe Rousset (Decca) (I notice that he doesn't show on your list at all, maybe you don' like his Bach?)
For the French Suites - and for the English Suites, for that matter: Alan Curtis (Teldec/Warner) and again Rousset, but now his newer recordings on Ambroisie.

Q

He's there. I love his French Overture but for some reason I don't have his partitas. I'll have to get them! The 6 Partitas are my favorite Bach at the moment. I'll have to check out Curtis! Thanks! I also have Rousset's Goldbergs which I like. For some reason I can't seem to take to Richard Troeger's Partitas or Inventions. I just love Suzuuki's Partitas!

Bulldog

What about the French suites? I also have the highly acclaimed Cates recording. Somehow it doesn't grab me like Moroney's recording does. 

I love both the Cates and Moroney sets; also I second the Curtis.  Another favorite of mine comes from Francesco Cera on the ARTS label; his ornamentation and changes of registration in the repeats is stunning.

Que

Quote from: milk on April 23, 2011, 09:15:48 PM
He's there. I love his French Overture but for some reason I don't have his partitas. I'll have to get them! The 6 Partitas are my favorite Bach at the moment.

Of his Decca recordings I think next the Goldbergs the Partitas are actually the pick of the bunch:

[asin]B000BV5RCE[/asin]

Since then his style developed further. If you can take the swiftness, the elaborate brilliance and the very rich sound stage I defintely recommend this box set of his recordings on Ambroisie:

QuoteI can't seem to take to Richard Troeger's Partitas or Inventions.

Don't worry, neither can I! :o ;D Put me off Troeger all together.

Quote from: Bulldog on April 23, 2011, 09:30:19 PM
Another favorite of mine comes from Francesco Cera on the ARTS label; his ornamentation and changes of registration in the repeats is stunning.

A new star I need to check out - I like the Italian touch in Bach, Dantone's Goldberg Variations or WTC for instance.

Q

milk

Quote from: Que on April 24, 2011, 12:04:36 AM
Of his Decca recordings I think next the Goldbergs the Partitas are actually the pick of the bunch:

Can you believe I had Rousset's Partitas on my hard-drive and didn't realize it? I guess I bought this set with the Goldbergs and Overture and put it away for some reason. Well, I have some listening to do! 

marvinbrown

Bach fans I am still missing the French suites on harpsichord and am torn between these 2 sets:

OR

I have Moroney's Art of Fugue and find his approach a bit "clinical" at times.  I am not sure I would welcome this approach with the French suites.  Hogwood is unfamiliar to me.  I was hoping to find a recording with Leonhardt on harpsichord but there does not seem to be one??  as some of you might know I have his Partitas (German Suites) and his English Suites which I love.  No Leonhardt  >:(! What do I do?

marvin

prémont

Quote from: marvinbrown on April 24, 2011, 03:01:13 AM

Bach fans I am still missing the French suites on harpsichord and am torn between these 2 sets:

I have Moroney's Art of Fugue and find his approach a bit "clinical" at times.  I am not sure I would welcome this approach with the French suites.  Hogwood is unfamiliar to me.  I was hoping to find a recording with Leonhardt on harpsichord but there does not seem to be one??  as some of you might know I have his Partitas (German Suites) and his English Suites which I love.  No Leonhardt  >:(! What do I do?

marvin

There is little to choose between. Both are stylish and  recommendable PI recordings, and Moroney is not as clinical as one might suppose.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: marvinbrown on April 24, 2011, 03:01:13 AM

Leonhardt did indeed record them for RCA, they were issued on the Sony Seon series - probably OOP right now.

As for the given choice: I agree with your assessment of Moroney - though he is superb in French repertoire - wouldn't opt for Hogwood either. See a few posts back for my rec. of Curtis & Rousset. If you like Leonhardt, Alan Curtis would be the more logical choice..

Q

prémont

Quote from: Que on April 24, 2011, 03:12:50 AM
Leonhardt did indeed record them for RCA, they were issued on the Sony Seon series - probably OOP right now.

As for the given choice: I agree with your assessment of Moroney - though he is superb in French repertoire - wouldn't opt for Hogwood either. See a few posts back for my rec. of Curtis & Rousset. If you like Leonhardt, Alan Curtis would be the more logical choice..

Q

The choice was between Hogwood and Moroney. Both a safe choice. But of course Curtis (Teldec) would be preferable. My own favorite BTW is Koopman (Erato), who offers a nice relaxed interpretation with surprising modest and well working varied reprises. And Lars Ulrik Mortensen (Kontrapunkt) who offers a colourful and  well articulated reading. Leonhardt (RCA) has but recorded these works once, and whether available or not I think that he was rather unfortunate this time as the interpretations lack his usuals tense and individual playing. I am not captivated by Rousset´s "Limousine" approach. And I find Cates a bit bland. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν