Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog

Quote from: milk on August 01, 2011, 04:41:08 PM
It's interesting that no one else has attempted anything like it (as far as I've found). Some day I'd like to see a comparison of recordings of Bach's harpsichord concertos.

Those reviews I did took a huge number of hours; most folks don't want to devote so much time to one work or body of works.

I have to admit that, even if I was still doing those long reviews, I wouldn't tackle the harpsichord concertos.  You have to possess great love for music that you listen to for dozens of hours.  That wasn't any problem for me with works such the Goldbergs and WTC, but I would tire of the concertos long before the review process was concluded; that's exactly what happened to me when I tried it with the Brandenburgs.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bulldog on August 02, 2011, 10:14:59 AM
Those reviews I did took a huge number of hours; most folks don't want to devote so much time to one work or body of works.

Milk - I fully understand Don's point although I do not write musical reviews; I'm a 'just retired' academic radiologist who in a 34-year career did a lot of research and writing - often the published articles were only 3-4 pages in length (the usual nature of medical articles), but the time spent in collecting the data, in analyzing the results, in writing and finalizing the final drafts; then submitting the article to a peer-reviewed journal which if possibly accepted required more time & revisions - THIS takes much time - Don's point is well taken - just another viewpoint -  :)

milk

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 02, 2011, 04:56:30 PM
Milk - I fully understand Don's point although I do not write musical reviews; I'm a 'just retired' academic radiologist who in a 34-year career did a lot of research and writing - often the published articles were only 3-4 pages in length (the usual nature of medical articles), but the time spent in collecting the data, in analyzing the results, in writing and finalizing the final drafts; then submitting the article to a peer-reviewed journal which if possibly accepted required more time & revisions - THIS takes much time - Don's point is well taken - just another viewpoint -  :)
Yeah sure. I get it. I'm an M.A. in a humanities-related field and a university instructor. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to researching/publishing. But I think medical research is much more arduous. I can imagine. And this music is a real love. We can see the love Don has for the music but also the incredible concentration and time that goes into the articles. I'd love to see updates from Don if he ever feels the need to do any. I've tried to find/follow his reviews as much as possible. I think, if I'm not mistaken, he did a nice one for Handel's keyboard suites (I have the Dantone which I think was his recommendation). I can also see his point about the Brandenburgs and the concertos. I have a particular love for the concertos (has anybody heard the Plectra live recordings? - great!). But there is a lesser complexity - perhaps - to them. Solo keyboard music - especially Bach's - is more amenable to this kind of process I guess. Bach's keyboard music is as deep as the ocean - as it were (including my favorite: the partitas!). I'll be patient and see if more reviews emerge in the years to come. In the meantime, I can always go back to them to gain more insight. Of course, the insight is in the music itself. As I said before, the reviews really helped me deepen my journey into the music. That's the important thing isn't it. Sorry for my rambling!     

Mandryka

I enjoyed the second French suite on this recording from Thurston Dart which I found on spotify

I listened to a few recordings of FR2 and this is the one that appealed the most. His clavichord is as twangy and colourful as Kirkpatrick's harpsichord on Archiv . But although I like Kirkpatrick I found that the sound of his instrument became annoying after a few of the movements while I was happy to stay the course with Dart's clavichord.

Another thing I like about Dart is that he doesn't hang around. But it's  not bravura style at all, he's a thinker not a showman. Anyway it's well worth trying if you've got spotify, and if anyone knows any other good clavichord recordings of these suites  please let me know.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

PaulSC

Quote from: Mandryka on August 30, 2011, 11:19:33 PM
I enjoyed the second French suite on this recording from Thurston Dart which I found on spotify

I listened to a few recordings of FR2 and this is the one that appealed the most. His clavichord is as twangy and colourful as Kirkpatrick's harpsichord on Archiv . But although I like Kirkpatrick I found that the sound of his instrument became annoying after a few of the movements while I was happy to stay the course with Dart's clavichord.

Another thing I like about Dart is that he doesn't hang around. But it's  not bravura style at all, he's a thinker not a showman. Anyway it's well worth trying if you've got spotify, and if anyone knows any other good clavichord recordings of these suites  please let me know.
I haven't tapped into spotify, but I'll get there someday. I would enjoy hearing the Dart performance on clavichord.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the "Recordings That You Are Considering" thread, but since it's tangentially related, Ilton Wjuniski's French Suites are indeed a recording that I am considering, and one that might interest you as well. Wjuniski plays the six standard French Suites on harpsichord, adding preludes from the rest of Bach's oeuvre. But he also plays the suites BWV 819 (E flat) and 818a (A minor), both on clavichord. Judging from the previews at the iTunes Store, I like both the interpretations and the instrument choices.

Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

PaulSC

Assuming "non-piano" means "harpsichord", the Cates you've got is certainly a fine version. I also like Davitt Moroney and Bradley Brookshire (respectively a bit straightlaced and a bit loosey-goosey — both in a good way). And I just recently acquired this set by Iltan Wjuniski on GM, which is also very fine and which has the added appeal of bundling in the extra suites BWV 818a, 819 (with the extra Allemande from 819a) and 823 (incomplete) — all of these extras played on clavichord. If I'm not mistaken, Cates gives you most of the same extras, but on harpsichord.

Christophe Rousset's extroverted performances also have many fans. But for me all of Rousset's recordings on Ambroisie are spoiled by excessively reverberant acoustics. If you haven't already heard the Rousset, checking out the previews at a site like Amazon will be enough to tell you if you can tolerate — possibly even revel in — all that reverb.

Bulldog

Quote from: PaulSC on September 04, 2011, 07:48:18 PM
Christophe Rousset's extroverted performances also have many fans. But for me all of Rousset's recordings on Ambroisie are spoiled by excessively reverberant acoustics.

It's good to know that I'm not the only person who finds Rousset/Ambroisie overly reverberant. 8)

jlaurson

Quote from: Bulldog on September 04, 2011, 08:18:54 PM
It's good to know that I'm not the only person who finds Rousset/Ambroisie overly reverberant. 8)

You're not the only person. Those recordings are overly reverberant.
It's just that I LOVE it!  ;)

They are in fact my favorite recording of the French Suites, a spot they share with Blandine Rannou (ZigZag).

I don't have a favorite piano version, yet... so by default it probably is Angela Hewitt. (That I like Keith Jarrett in that repertoire is a personal quirk that I wouldn't try to argue with too much force.)

SonicMan46

Quote from: PaulSC on September 04, 2011, 07:48:18 PM
Assuming "non-piano" means "harpsichord", the Cates you've got is certainly a fine version. I also like Davitt Moroney and Bradley Brookshire (respectively a bit straightlaced and a bit loosey-goosey — both in a good way). And I just recently acquired this set by Iltan Wjuniski on GM, which is also very fine and which has the added appeal of bundling in the extra suites BWV 818a, 819 (with the extra Allemande from 819a) and 823 (incomplete) — all of these extras played on clavichord. If I'm not mistaken, Cates gives you most of the same extras, but on harpsichord.

Paul - forgot to mention that I also have the 3 discs of Alan Curtis doing both sets on the harpsichord, so w/ Cates, I'm happy w/ those 2 versions; but the mention of the clavichord above peaked my interest - just have a handful of discs played on that instrument - I'm assuming that Iltan Wjuniski performs the suites on a harpsichord?  Thanks - Dave :)

PaulSC

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 05, 2011, 08:05:32 AM
Paul - forgot to mention that I also have the 3 discs of Alan Curtis doing both sets on the harpsichord, so w/ Cates, I'm happy w/ those 2 versions; but the mention of the clavichord above peaked my interest - just have a handful of discs played on that instrument - I'm assuming that Iltan Wjuniski performs the suites on a harpsichord?  Thanks - Dave :)
SonicMan, that's right — the 6 French Suites on harpsichord, and 3 (really 2 1/2) bonus suites on clavichord.

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 05, 2011, 08:05:32 AM

The same here.  I have about a dozen of recordings with Alan Curtis on the keyboard.  That is in addition to having just about every Handel opera recorded by him ...

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 19, 2011, 07:45:12 AM

Hi Q - assume the same Baumont performance shown below (on the cheaper Apex label) - for myself, I own the 2-CD set of the 'Complete Transcriptions' w/ Elizabeth Farr - some 'mixed' reviews on Amazon (although 5* comments from Scott Morrison), but a superlative review from Fanfare, reprinted HERE, which prompted my purchase! - Dave :)

Indeed it is the same, Dave:)

I don't know the set by Elizabeth Farr, wasn't even aware of its existence.
I have the complete set of arranged concertos by Peter Watchorn - pictured below. Solid, serviceable performances in comparison to Baumont's utter elegance and charm.

Q

SonicMan46

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on September 19, 2011, 09:51:47 PM
Indeed it is the same, Dave:)

I don't know the set by Elizabeth Farr, wasn't even aware of its existence.
I have the complete set of arranged concertos by Peter Watchorn - pictured below. Solid, serviceable performances in comparison to Baumont's utter elegance and charm.

Thanks Q - I do have Watchorn in a number of Bach's keyboard works but not these concertos - may have to add the Baumont to my Amazon cart, especially at the low asking price!  Dave :)

kishnevi

I have this one:
[asin]B00001QEJX[/asin]

Three on organ (BWV 593, 594 and 596) and three on harpsichord (BWV 972, 976 and 980)

As far as it goes, it's good; but obviously it's incomplete.

I have, and like, the Farr; in fact, I like it far better than her companion recording of the works for lute/lautenwerk.

Kontrapunctus

I understand that Gustav Leonhardt transcribed Bach's Chaconne for harpsichord, but I can't find any recordings. Can anyone help out here?

Bulldog

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on September 22, 2011, 01:48:26 PM
I understand that Gustav Leonhardt transcribed Bach's Chaconne for harpsichord, but I can't find any recordings. Can anyone help out here?

I believe it's on a 2-cd set of Bach transcriptions on the DHM label.  I noticed that Amazon has a used copy for about $84.  I'll pass on that one.

prémont

Quote from: Bulldog on September 22, 2011, 04:53:50 PM
I believe it's on a 2-cd set of Bach transcriptions on the DHM label.  I noticed that Amazon has a used copy for about $84.  I'll pass on that one.

He transcribed and recorded the 6 solo violin pieces and the cellosuites 4 - 6. In short outstanding.

Edit: The violin sonata 2 and the first movement of violin sonata 3 he recorded (of course) in Bach´s own transcription.
         He recorded the violin sonata 3 twice.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 22, 2011, 10:51:12 PM
He transcribed and recorded the 6 solo violin pieces and the cellosuites 4 - 6. In short outstanding.

Edit: The violin sonata 2 and the first movement of violin sonata 3 he recorded (of course) in Bach´s own transcription.
         He recorded the violin sonata 3 twice.

Agreed. This is one of my favourite GL records.

The CD I have is this one .

Kontrapunctus

Mandryka

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on September 23, 2011, 12:22:44 PM
Ouch. $84 is a bit steep. Thanks, though!

There's a torrent from Russia.

What is the date of the recording? The Bach Cantatas website doesn't give a date -- my guess is it's quite early. But that is a guess  :)