Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 23, 2011, 12:25:12 PM
What is the date of the recording? The Bach Cantatas website doesn't give a date -- my guess is it's quite early. But that is a guess  :)

BWV 1001, 1005 & 1012 was recorded 1985.
Harpsichord by Martin Skowroneck 1984 after late French models (the so called Nicolas Lefebvre).

BWV 1002, 1004 & 1006 was recorded June 1975.
Harpsichord by William Dowd 1975 after Blanchet 1730.

The prel., fugue and allegro was recorded Sept. 1965.
Harpsichord by Carl August Gräbner 1782.

He also recorded BWV 1003 & 1005 for Telefunken P1969 and BWV 1010 & 1011 for Seon/Sony (AFAIR without consulting my shelves)  in the late 70es.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 23, 2011, 02:52:56 PM
BWV 1001, 1005 & 1012 was recorded 1985.
Harpsichord by Martin Skowroneck 1984 after late French models (the so called Nicolas Lefebvre).

BWV 1002, 1004 & 1006 was recorded June 1975.
Harpsichord by William Dowd 1975 after Blanchet 1730.

The prel., fugue and allegro was recorded Sept. 1965.
Harpsichord by Carl August Gräbner 1782.

He also recorded BWV 1003 & 1005 for Telefunken P1969 and BWV 1010 & 1011 for Seon/Sony (AFAIR without consulting my shelves)  in the late 70es.

Right -- so quite a wide timespan.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

jlaurson

http://www.youtube.com/v/boH9VwqxgcI

Ketil Haugsand (German style harpsichord after Christian Zell 1725)

J.S. Bach: Keyboard Partita in D major, BWV 828

I Ouverture
II Allemande
III Courante
IV Aria
V Sarabande
VI Menuet
VII Gigue

Marc

Quote from: jlaurson on September 26, 2011, 10:03:33 AM
[youtube link]

Ketil Haugsand (German style harpsichord after Christian Zell 1725)

J.S. Bach: Keyboard Partita in D major, BWV 828

WOW! Thanks! :)

Very good sound quality of this complete Bach composition upload, taken from a disc that isn't even OOP!
After listening, copy and paste from your Temporary Internet Files folder to one of your own fave directories, convert it and .... there you go, very handy indeed.

Quote from: jlaurson on May 23, 2011, 06:30:37 AM
via Alex Ross

Collateral Damage

The True Cost of Uploading

http://thewire.co.uk/articles/6715/

jlaurson

Quote from: Marc on September 26, 2011, 10:25:05 AM
WOW! Thanks! :)

Very good sound quality of this complete Bach composition upload, taken from a disc that isn't even OOP!
After listening, copy and paste from your Temporary Internet Files folder to one of your own fave directories, convert it and .... there you go, very handy indeed.

Ketil put it up himself, or at least approved of it... so there is no irony involved here.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: jlaurson on September 26, 2011, 01:45:05 PM
Ketil put it up himself, or at least approved of it... so there is no irony involved here.

I don't know if Ketil Haugsand approves this upload, but the uploader is our masolino aka flautotraverso.

jlaurson

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on September 26, 2011, 02:11:02 PM
I don't know if Ketil Haugsand approves this upload, but the uploader is our masolino aka flautotraverso.
You don't, but I do.

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

jlaurson

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 28, 2011, 09:59:50 AM
How do you do?

Because I know him and he sent me the link for promulgation... it was his "Never start a morning without Bach" 'gift'...

Marc

Quote from: jlaurson on September 28, 2011, 10:16:37 AM
Because I know him and he sent me the link for promulgation... it was his "Never start a morning without Bach" 'gift'...

Hey!
What about afternoon, evening and night?

Three more uploads, plz.

:P

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Marc on September 28, 2011, 11:54:38 AM
Hey!
What about afternoon, evening and night?

Three more uploads, plz.

:P

Not so fast, Marc! I think we need to know if it was received the authorization from Simax to upload this piece. It's nice to know that Haugsand approves this upload, but it is necessary to know if Simax authorized it. I think I will just listen to my original copy. I mean to be legally sure.  ;) 

jlaurson

http://www.youtube.com/v/Yn0HAWX1TSA

Ketil Haugsand also recommends this. Undoubtedly stolen from somewhere else. Probably W+/- Carlos.
;)

milk

I'm hoping maybe Bulldog (Mr. Satz) might give us his impressions of this recording somewhere down the line. So far I'm enjoying it for it's clarity and wonderful sound quality.

Bulldog

Quote from: milk on October 02, 2011, 09:37:51 PM

I'm hoping maybe Bulldog (Mr. Satz) might give us his impressions of this recording somewhere down the line. So far I'm enjoying it for it's clarity and wonderful sound quality.

I've only listened twice to Devine's Goldbergs.  I certainly agree that the sound is superb but have some reservations about the performances.  So far, I sense that Devine doesn't drive the music forward sufficiently, especially in the faster variations.  He likes rhythmic hesitations and some staggering of musical lines; I usually like this also, but with Devine I'm finding it a hindrance to the musical flow.
Also, he makes a caricature of the 6th Variation with his insistence on a vertical humpty-dumpty rhythm.  Sounds like something a small child would prefer.

Of course, I'll be listening more and trying to get a better idea of Devine's aesthetic.

milk

Quote from: Bulldog on October 04, 2011, 10:06:50 AM
I've only listened twice to Devine's Goldbergs.  I certainly agree that the sound is superb but have some reservations about the performances.  So far, I sense that Devine doesn't drive the music forward sufficiently, especially in the faster variations.  He likes rhythmic hesitations and some staggering of musical lines; I usually like this also, but with Devine I'm finding it a hindrance to the musical flow.
Also, he makes a caricature of the 6th Variation with his insistence on a vertical humpty-dumpty rhythm.  Sounds like something a small child would prefer.

Of course, I'll be listening more and trying to get a better idea of Devine's aesthetic.
I listened to it twice. I don't think this recording is going to stay with me. Actually the last few days I've been listening to Staier's recording again. I think this is not to your taste maybe? Normally I wouldn't like the roominess of the Staier recording (I'm not such a fan of Roussett's Goldberg) but I have to say I just love what Staier has done. And I think in this case the production design works with the instrument and performance style. What I like about it is its fearlessness, the wonderful variety of tones in the choices of registration and the otherworldliness - as it were - of the performance. I wanted to love the Devine because the instrument has such a beautiful sound and the production is just as I like it (excepting the Staier). Perhaps Gilbert will be next in my ipod-rotation. The Staier recoding couldn't be a reference recording - I know. It's just too particular (in the instrument and production). But whereas this Devine recording doesn't do anything bold, I think the Staier is full of confidence and chance-taking (at times it just turns into a mess because of the room reverberation) and careful thought. A few months back I said I was burnt out on Goldbergs. Lately I have a second wind. I wish I could find a new recording with the same production quality of the Devine, but with more performance umpf! 

milk

I wanted to ask a question maybe for Bulldog and others: I've neglected Bach's concerto transcriptions. Actually I bought the double Watchorn cd a few years back but since then I've kind of soured on Watchorn and put it aside. How much pleasure do you get from these works and which recordings are recommended? I have followed discussions in the past. Some people like the Farr recording? I know this is kind of a rehash (but everything gets rehashed). Anyway, where do you place these works in terms of Bach's keyboard output? I know it's tricky because they're youthful works and they're transcriptions. Still, It's something in which I've yet to invest time. Are they below Bach's toccatas? I don't know if this is a good topic or not but I'm always looking to get (those whom I consider to be) experts explaining aspects of Bach. One more query: For me, Bach's keyboard partitas are nearly as good as the Goldbergs. I wonder why there haven't been a lot of recordings of these works in recent years. Or have there been? I love Suzuki's and Leonhardt's respective recordings. But I'm waiting for someone to take a stab at these now. Seems like there are many more artists doing even the French Suites than the partitas.     

Bulldog

Quote from: milk on October 05, 2011, 08:28:14 PM
I wanted to ask a question maybe for Bulldog and others: I've neglected Bach's concerto transcriptions. Actually I bought the double Watchorn cd a few years back but since then I've kind of soured on Watchorn and put it aside. How much pleasure do you get from these works and which recordings are recommended? I have followed discussions in the past. Some people like the Farr recording? I know this is kind of a rehash (but everything gets rehashed). Anyway, where do you place these works in terms of Bach's keyboard output? I know it's tricky because they're youthful works and they're transcriptions. Still, It's something in which I've yet to invest time. Are they below Bach's toccatas? I don't know if this is a good topic or not but I'm always looking to get (those whom I consider to be) experts explaining aspects of Bach. One more query: For me, Bach's keyboard partitas are nearly as good as the Goldbergs. I wonder why there haven't been a lot of recordings of these works in recent years. Or have there been? I love Suzuki's and Leonhardt's respective recordings. But I'm waiting for someone to take a stab at these now. Seems like there are many more artists doing even the French Suites than the partitas.   

The best I can figure, there have been 13 new recordings of the Partitas in the last six years, 7 for the French Suites and 53 for the Goldbergs.

Concerning the concerto transcriptions, I'm not a big fan and definitely prefer Bach's Toccatas.

jlaurson

Quote from: milk on October 05, 2011, 08:28:14 PM
I wanted to ask a question maybe for Bulldog and others: I've neglected Bach's concerto transcriptions. .... How much pleasure do you get from these works and which recordings are recommended?

MUCH, much pleasure. In fact, they are the core of my favorite recording. (Not favorite Bach recording, but altogether favorite recording.) -- concertos italiens, with Alexandre Tharaud on Harmonia Mundi. Un-be-lievably gorgeous. Made 2005 (gosh, time flies) a great year.

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2006/05/dip-your-ears-no-58.html
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2005/12/best-recordings-of-2005.html

milk

Quote from: Bulldog on October 05, 2011, 08:51:07 PM
The best I can figure, there have been 13 new recordings of the Partitas in the last six years, 7 for the French Suites and 53 for the Goldbergs.

Concerning the concerto transcriptions, I'm not a big fan and definitely prefer Bach's Toccatas.
Hmm...guess maybe I have some catching up to do. I think we may have been through this conversation recently. But...Any of these compete with Suzuki or Leonhardt? Maybe I should be satisfied with those since they're so darn good. 53 Goldbergs! Wow! Have any recent ones outdone Hantai, Ross or Gilbert in your opinion?
Any of these pedal recordings impress anyone?

Bulldog

Quote from: milk on October 06, 2011, 12:27:05 AM
Hmm...guess maybe I have some catching up to do. I think we may have been through this conversation recently. But...Any of these compete with Suzuki or Leonhardt? Maybe I should be satisfied with those since they're so darn good. 53 Goldbergs! Wow! Have any recent ones outdone Hantai, Ross or Gilbert in your opinion?

I don't think anyone can surpass Hantai or Ross, but I have very high opinions of Pieter Dirksen on Etcetera, Matthew Halls on Linn and Aapo Hakkinen on Alba.