Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

milk

I wonder whatever happened to Richard Troeger and his Clavier-Übung project. Seems to have disappeared.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 23, 2011, 02:52:56 PM

[Leonhardt's transcriptions of ] BWV 1002, 1004 & 1006 was recorded June 1975.
Harpsichord by William Dowd 1975 after Blanchet 1730.

It's a very beautiful instrument I think. I just listened to the 1st Partita and was, to say the least, extremely moved by the music making. It's a shame this record is out of print.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: milk on October 05, 2011, 08:28:14 PM
Are they below Bach's toccatas?

A lot of them are definitely above. Bach's toccatas are early works and they aren't really as good as most of his later music. Some of them, like the bwv 1052 are miles ahead.

Opus106

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on October 10, 2011, 09:39:37 AM
Some of them, like the bwv 1052 are miles ahead.

Milk was referring to transcriptions of the concerti by the Italians (Vivaldi, Marcello et al.), if I'm not mistaken.
Regards,
Navneeth

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Opus106 on October 10, 2011, 09:50:15 AM
Milk was referring to transcriptions of the concerti by the Italians (Vivaldi, Marcello et. al.), if I'm not mistaken.

Ha, in that case, yeah, they are fairly minor works, most of which are probably best heard in the original format anyway (those of Vivaldi for instance). The exception is the bwv 1065, where Bach actually improves on the original.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on October 10, 2011, 10:10:00 AM
Ha, in that case, yeah, they are fairly minor works, most of which are probably best heard in the original format anyway (those of Vivaldi for instance). The exception is the bwv 1065, where Bach actually improves on the original.

I won't discuss if the transcriptions are superior to their respective originals, but the idea of "reduction" of a whole instrumental ensemble to the keyboard it's attractive enough to justify these highly enjoyable pieces. Not just for their eventual pedagogic value for Bach himself, but because they are also the intellectual forerunners (I have convinced myself about this) of outstanding pieces like the Italian Concerto BWV 971 and the French Overture BWV 831, which are a sort of "transcription" in the same vein, but without "original".

P.S.: After reading these lines I became aware that probably they were written under the influence of Borges, who used to write reviews on imaginary books.

:)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 10, 2011, 11:16:18 AM
... they are also the intellectual forerunners (I have convinced myself about this) of outstanding pieces like the Italian Concerto BWV 971 and the French Overture BWV 831, which are a sort of "transcription" in the same vein, but without "original".

Although I have had this idea for a long time, I had never searched for "transcriptions" to the orchestral medium of the Italian Concerto BWV 971. Today I did it and this is a nice result:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Nf7-DER93Ww

milk

Quote from: Opus106 on October 10, 2011, 09:50:15 AM
Milk was referring to transcriptions of the concerti by the Italians (Vivaldi, Marcello et al.), if I'm not mistaken.

That's right. Today I was listening to this:

Most of his Bach performances here are not noteworthy - in my opinion. However, his version of "1079, Ricercar a 3" on an early fortepiano is quite nice. I'm always searching for new ways to enjoy Bach on period instruments (I think this fortepiano performance qualifies for this thread). I'm often checking this thread. Please continue posting any new recordings that are worthy of attention.

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 11, 2011, 03:40:21 AM
Although I have had this idea for a long time, I had never searched for "transcriptions" to the orchestral medium of the Italian Concerto BWV 971. Today I did it and this is a nice result:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Nf7-DER93Ww

Thanks for this. Most tasteful arrangement.  Must be this one.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Italienischer-Gusto-Konzerte-Rekonstruktionen-Hpothesen/hnum/3660840
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: milk on October 11, 2011, 03:49:10 AM
That's right. Today I was listening to this:

Most of his Bach performances here are not noteworthy - in my opinion. However, his version of "1079, Ricercar a 3" on an early fortepiano is quite nice. I'm always searching for new ways to enjoy Bach on period instruments (I think this fortepiano performance qualifies for this thread). I'm often checking this thread. Please continue posting any new recordings that are worthy of attention.

His bwv 922 is pretty good. Its not a major work but a lot of other performers (including Christiane Wuyts who's among my favorites for this off the beaten path stuff) never seem to get it right. The rest of the disc i can kinda live without.

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 11, 2011, 10:03:03 AM
You're welcome!  :)

It's this one:

[asin]B00004ZBLB[/asin]

Thanks for drawing attention to this recording, which I have never seen before. But now I have ordered it from Amazon MP.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 11, 2011, 02:17:48 PM
Thanks for drawing attention to this recording, which I have never seen before. But now I have ordered it from Amazon MP.  :)

Your own find sounds very attractive too:

Thanks.

milk

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on October 11, 2011, 09:48:19 AM
His bwv 922 is pretty good. Its not a major work but a lot of other performers (including Christiane Wuyts who's among my favorites for this off the beaten path stuff) never seem to get it right. The rest of the disc i can kinda live without.
In my collection I also find 922 on Troeger (from his Art of the Fugue recording) and Rousset (from "Bach: Fantasy"). Do you think Ghelmi is the best of these three? Rousset isn't moving me. I like the Troeger even though I'm not regularly drawn to any of the Troeger recordings that I own. Still, I wonder what happened to Troeger.   

milk

I mentioned this a few posts back but I wanted to say that I am quite enjoying this recording:

I'm ashamed to admit that I still have problems enjoying the organ. So I'm happy to hear the compositions another way. 

Bulldog

Quote from: milk on October 15, 2011, 07:29:41 AM
I mentioned this a few posts back but I wanted to say that I am quite enjoying this recording:

I'm ashamed to admit that I still have problems enjoying the organ. So I'm happy to hear the compositions another way.

Yes, I also get much enjoyment from this disc - I love the pedal harpsichord.  It can do justice to a piece like the Fugue BWV 545 that the typical harpsichord just can't handle.

Sorry to hear that you have organ problems. :D  As much as I like Beausejour's performances, nothing beats the real thing (the king of instruments).

milk

Quote from: Bulldog on October 15, 2011, 01:36:38 PM
Yes, I also get much enjoyment from this disc - I love the pedal harpsichord.  It can do justice to a piece like the Fugue BWV 545 that the typical harpsichord just can't handle.

Sorry to hear that you have organ problems. :D  As much as I like Beausejour's performances, nothing beats the real thing (the king of instruments).

I'm working on my Organ-phobia. I'm sure some day I'll come around. I like it in small doses (for example on Levin's WTC). Perhaps I'll have to accustom myself little by little. 

prémont

Quote from: milk on October 06, 2011, 12:27:05 AM

Any of these pedal recordings impress anyone?

Yes, Douglas Amrine- whom I never heard of before I got this CD - impressses me rather much with his stylishness, eloquence and brilliance. But like Don I prefer the real thing, the organ.
Do not know the Beausejour recording, put it on my wishlist.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

milk

I see that Blandine Rannou has a box set coming out at the end of November.
It will include the Goldberg Variations, French and English Suites, as well as the Toccatas.
Does anyone know if this is a reissue or new?
I have some lovely recordings by her (F. Couperin, Forqueray). I wonder if I should be on the edge of my seat.