Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Also, I see that Peter Watchorn has his new recording of the French Suites slated for release this month.
I went from being a fan of his to being kind of luke-warm about him.
The production on his pedal harpsichord recording of the WTC is nothing sort of brilliant.
However, his performance is a bit fussy sometimes even though he sure knows how to record that instrument.
I'm interested to catch some samples of the French when they're available.
I've bought a lot of French Suite recordings over the last few years but, for some reason, I always end up going back
to Moroney to wash them out of my system. The only other recording I like to leave in my consciousness is Brookshire's -
which I guess I like a lot considering that I find his public pronouncements on music to be pretty distasteful.
Anyway, I wonder if anyone's curiosity is peaked by the prospect of new releases from either Rannou or Watchorn? 

jlaurson

Quote from: milk on October 19, 2011, 08:06:42 PM
I see that Blandine Rannou has a box set coming out at the end of November.
It will include the Goldberg Variations, French and English Suites, as well as the Toccatas.
Does anyone know if this is a reissue or new?
I have some lovely recordings by her (F. Couperin, Forqueray). I wonder if I should be on the edge of my seat.

Must be a re-issue... although I wasn't aware (or at least don't have) the Goldbergs and the Toccatas. But her French and English suites are, along those of Rousset's on Ambroise [not everyone's cup of tea, those] my favorite. They are tremendously well played, exciting and musical while being a little 'straighter' than Rousset. Great recorded and harpsichord sound, too.

Drasko

Quote from: jlaurson on October 20, 2011, 03:57:17 AM
Must be a re-issue... although I wasn't aware (or at least don't have) the Goldbergs and the Toccatas. But her French and English suites are, along those of Rousset's on Ambroise [not everyone's cup of tea, those] my favorite. They are tremendously well played, exciting and musical while being a little 'straighter' than Rousset. Great recorded and harpsichord sound, too.

It seems like two releases: 5CD box, reissue of French & English Suites and Toccatas, and new recording of Goldbergs.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//ZZT111001.htm

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//ZZT111002.htm

Completely agreed on her French Suites, need the rest.

Antoine Marchand

Nice to see those French Suites, English Suites and Toccatas re-released because - just excepting the latter disc- they were near to impossible to get these days, specially the English Suites. As Jens points out these discs are probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I have noticed that people fond of Rousset, usually enjoy Rannou. Personally my favorite among her Bach discs are the Toccatas because her playing seems very well suited to the stylus phantasticus.   :)

jlaurson

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 20, 2011, 05:09:08 AM
Nice to see those French Suites, English Suites and Toccatas re-released because - just excepting the latter disc- they were near to impossible to get these days, specially the English Suites.
As Jens points out these discs are probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I have noticed that people fond of Rousset, usually enjoy Rannou. Personally my favorite among her Bach discs are the Toccatas
because her playing seems very well suited to the stylus phantasticus.   :)

Oh, I just remembered: I have her Toccatas. Perhaps the only recording of the Toccatas that I truly enjoy.

I also meant to imply that it's the Rousset that's not to everybody's taste (resonance, rubato et al.), and that the Rannou recordings are perhaps the bridge between stodgy exacting and exciting.
But I'm not surprised that there's a correlation between Rousset-likers and Rannou-likers.

milk

I'm interested in her Goldberg. I said a while back that I wasn't listening to the Goldberg Variations much but recently I've been on a binge.
Gosh, Leonhardt's recording (I think it's the newer one I have) is great.
I must be the only one here who loves Staier's odd recording of the Goldberg Variations.  I take it no one is much interested in
Watchorn here. Musica Omnia's sound design is so darn good. But that's meaningless if the performance doesn't excel.

Bulldog

Quote from: milk on October 21, 2011, 07:14:02 AM
I take it no one is much interested in Watchorn here.

Wrong, my friend.  I think very highly of Watchorn's recordings, especially his WTC.

Just noticed that I had the Watchorn WTC on my personal essentials list (different thread).

SonicMan46

....I take it no one is much interested in Watchorn here. Musica Omnia's sound design is so darn good. But that's meaningless if the performance doesn't excel.

Boy, Milk - I have to completely agree w/ Don - I have plenty of Watchorn's discs (and others from his label), including both the WTC books - he is a superb performer and an incredible musical historian - his recordings and writings are certainly to be highly considered, but just my thoughts - hope that other fans will 'chime in' - :)

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 21, 2011, 03:50:10 PM
Boy, Milk - I have to completely agree w/ Don - I have plenty of Watchorn's discs (and others from his label), including both the WTC books - he is a superb performer and an incredible musical historian - his recordings and writings are certainly to be highly considered, but just my thoughts - hope that other fans will 'chime in' - :)

How many Bach recordings has Watchorn made?  My computer counted 5 in my Bach collection ...

Antoine Marchand

Gosh, Leonhardt's recording (I think it's the newer one I have) is great.
Total agreement here! I think his three recordings are superb: 1953  (Vanguard, Vanguard Carrere, Vanguard Classics, Musical Heritage/Artemis Classics); 1964 (Teldec, Teldec/Warner, Teldec/Warner Japan) & 1976 (DHM, HM, DHM/BMG, Parnass, ProArte, Quintessence). I have these CD incarnations on Vanguard Classics, Teldec and DHM:

I must be the only one here who loves Staier's odd recording of the Goldberg Variations.
Not at all. I clearly recall Don wrote some favorable things about Staier, although I don't know if his ideas and opinions were documented as a review.

I take it no one is much interested in Watchorn here. Musica Omnia's sound design is so darn good. But that's meaningless if the performance doesn't excel.
Well, I am an unconditional Watchorn's fan, too. I have never found truly disappointing any of his recordings, although his English Suites are not so compelling like his other recordings. We will see if he has some problems with dance in general if he records the Partitas and the French Suites.

Bulldog

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 21, 2011, 04:50:04 PM
Not at all. I clearly recall Don wrote some favorable things about Staier, although I don't know if his ideas and opinions were documented as a review.

No documentation, just favorable words that drifted through the sky.  I'm not hard to please when it comes to the Goldbergs; a version really has to suck to get my disapproval. 

milk

Quote from: Bulldog on October 21, 2011, 09:57:59 AM
Wrong, my friend.  I think very highly of Watchorn's recordings, especially his WTC.

Just noticed that I had the Watchorn WTC on my personal essentials list (different thread).

Well, I'll take this as a recommendation to give his WTC another shot. It's been a while since I've heard it. If I remember correctly, his tempos are on the slow side.

milk

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 21, 2011, 04:50:04 PM
Total agreement here! I think his three recordings are superb: 1953  (Vanguard, Vanguard Carrere, Vanguard Classics, Musical Heritage/Artemis Classics); 1964 (Teldec, Teldec/Warner, Teldec/Warner Japan) & 1976 (DHM, HM, DHM/BMG, Parnass, ProArte, Quintessence). I have these CD incarnations on Vanguard Classics, Teldec and DHM:

Well, I am an unconditional Watchorn's fan, too. I have never found truly disappointing any of his recordings, although his English Suites are not so compelling like his other recordings. We will see if he has some problems with dance in general if he records the Partitas and the French Suites.
Something special happens when he touches the keys. I also love his partitas and his English suites. His and Suzuki's are my favorites. I had his Goldbergs for a while and hadn't really paid attention to them before. 

milk

Quote from: Bulldog on October 21, 2011, 09:57:32 PM
No documentation, just favorable words that drifted through the sky.  I'm not hard to please when it comes to the Goldbergs; a version really has to suck to get my disapproval.
I think there's something extreme about Staier's recording. When I first heard it I didn't think I could like it. I probably wouldn't give it to a friend as an introduction to the Goldbergs. It is reverberant as well as often very hot sounding. He uses a lot of different registrations and lute-stops (please correct me if I've gotten these technical matters wrong). It's a really interesting sounding instrument. I see he won a prize with it on the CPE Bach recording. There's just something other-worldly about his Goldberg Variations. I think it works because his sound design, instrument, and performance are all of a piece. But it is rather different in those aspects than most of the harpsichord recordings I appreciate. But I guess this is part of the fun of it. Since I downloaded the Staier, I haven't read the notes on it. I wonder if he felt he was taking a chance with the design of the recording. To me, it's really bold and, ultimately, very successful. Once in a while, there's a particular recording that haunts me and that I just need to immerse myself in (Suzuki's partitas, Levin's WTC, Sempe's L. Couperin). 

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on October 21, 2011, 03:54:20 PM
How many Bach recordings has Watchorn made?  My computer counted 5 in my Bach collection ...

Hi Stuart - looks like he's above a half dozen w/ a new one this month being released - CHECK HERE - I have 3 or 4 (of course, most are multi-disc sets) - Dave :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 22, 2011, 06:40:18 AM
... w/ a new one this month being released - CHECK HERE

Great news, Dave! The French Suites by Watchorn are an importat musical event. A first step to complete Bach's output for harpsichord, as has been announced by Watchorn and his label.

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 22, 2011, 06:40:18 AM
Hi Stuart - looks like he's above a half dozen w/ a new one this month being released - CHECK HERE - I have 3 or 4 (of course, most are multi-disc sets) - Dave :)

Dave,  Thanks for the link.  I have all his Bach instrumental works and will acquire the upcoming French Suites for sure.  I doubt I will bother with the choral works since I already have an abundance of those works between recordings by Herreweghe, Gardiner, Veldhoven, Koopman, Leonhardt and Harnoncourt.

Coopmv

Anyone knows about the status of this Leonhardt Goldberg Variations released by Pro-Arte back in the early 80's?  Has it been re-released by some other labels?  I have owned this CD since it was first released ...

prémont

Quote from: Coopmv on October 22, 2011, 10:24:15 AM
Anyone knows about the status of this Leonhardt Goldberg Variations released by Pro-Arte back in the early 80's?  Has it been re-released by some other labels?  I have owned this CD since it was first released ...

It is probably one of the three recordings, he has made of this work. But which one I can´t tell.
Is the instrument he uses or the time of recording mentioned on the backside of the cover or in the booklet?

Edit: see Antoine´s post above. He seems to know which one it is (the third originally on DHM).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 22, 2011, 01:33:45 PM
It is probably one of the three recordings, he has made of this work. But which one I can´t tell.
Is the instrument he uses or the time of recording mentioned on the backside of the cover or in the booklet?

Edit: see Antoine´s post above. He seems to know which one it is (the third originally on DHM).

Interesting.  For the first time ever, I look at the CD label closely and it says 1969, Deutsche Harmonia Mundi and 1985, Intersound.  Intersound was an American company based in Mnpls and the CD was made in Japan.

Perhaps Pro-Arte was an Intersound label?