Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: PaulSC on November 25, 2011, 05:15:49 PM
It's not available yet, I guess we have to be patient.

I love the new Rannou Goldberg Variations. Sure, they're outrageous in the degree of ornamentation/improvisation she brings to them. But I think she has the vision and the technique to pull it off. The rhythmic feel is very "French", but that's true of other recordings I enjoy, including Van Asperen and Booth. At this point, I own enough "middle-of-the-road" recordings that I'm happy to find performers who can balance a respect for the text with a sense of adventure and spontaneity.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I see what you're saying. I kind of lost her from the beginning in the aria. I kept hoping I would find her groove but I never did. However, I'll give it another shot down the road. Perhaps I'll come to appreciate it the way you do after some time. 
Speaking of Van Asperen, I recently downloaded his French Suites. I was blown away by his recording of the French Suites. I just absolutely love it. And his harpsichord sounds divine. I can't say enough about that recording. I wonder if the new Watchorn will match it- I'm waiting for it in the mail.
A question for you and others here: I've seen rave reviews of Benjamin Alard's Partitas. I'm wondering what people think of this recording. My favorite recordings of the partitas are Suzuki's and Leonhardt's. Is Alard in the same Ballpark?

Que

I would do a search on the Suites and the Partitas if I were you, or browse through this thread.  :) Both have been discussed multiple times.

For the Suites, both the French and the English, I would point out Alan Curtis.

Q

prémont

Quote from: milk on November 26, 2011, 04:54:39 PM
My favorite recordings of the partitas are Suzuki's and Leonhardt's. Is Alard in the same Ballpark?

Precisely my two favorites along with Kenneth Gilbert (HMF) and Lars Ulrik Mortensen (Kontrapunkt). I find Allard´s interpretation very rewarding, but not quite up to this high level.

Concerning the English and French suites Alan Curtis´recordiing - as ~Que~ points out - is decidedly one of those you must have.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

milk

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on November 27, 2011, 12:46:45 AM
I would do a search on the Suites and the Partitas if I were you, or browse through this thread.  :) Both have been discussed multiple times.

For the Suites, both the French and the English, I would point out Alan Curtis.

Q
I've browsed and I've searched. As to the specific question of Alard, I didn't find more than a couple of brief passing references via the search engine.
Yes, I've seen Curtis mentioned multiple times.
I've just purchased Van Asperen's very rewarding recording of the French suites and Wachorn's (checking my mailbox), as well as Parmentier's English. But maybe I'll have to search out the Curtis (it's not so easy to find affordable releases of the complete sets). I do have quite a few other recordings of the French suites - not that I feel I ever have enough.

The Mortensen recommendation peaks my interest. I love his Buxtehude recordings! For some reason I still feel like I don't have enough (great) recordings of the partitas.

milk

Well I found a deal on the Curtis so I nabbed them. I suppose one never has enough!

Opus106

Quote from: milk on November 27, 2011, 03:46:10 AM
Well I found a deal on the Curtis so I nabbed them.

Curious mind wants to know: Where?
Regards,
Navneeth

milk

Quote from: Opus106 on November 27, 2011, 03:54:42 AM
Curious mind wants to know: Where?
Well I live in Japan and I found the three CDs (each has 2 French Suites and 2 English Suites) on amazon Japan. The total was 2000 yen ($25.73) including shipping.
Seems like a deal for both sets.   

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 27, 2011, 04:07:02 AM
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/search.php?searchString=curtis+bach+apex

:)

As far as I can see, the Amazon fr. marketplace offers are a little cheaper.
This must of course be held up against the excellent service, Presto offers.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Opus106

Thanks, gentlemen. So far as I can see, Amazon UK (or zoverstocks in the MP) and Presto, of course, offer the best choices for me at the moment. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

milk

Gosh I just love the sound of Van Asperen's Vater Harpsichord. Sorry I'll stop posting now. Don't mean to annoy. I just love the wonderful variety that you get out of harpsichord recordings - in terms of the instruments. I wonder if some think that focusing on this aspect detracts from appreciating the artistry of the performance? Well I guess it doesn't matter since I don't think so. Sorry for my daft posts.

prémont

Quote from: milk on November 27, 2011, 04:21:06 AM
I wonder if some think that focusing on this aspect detracts from appreciating the artistry of the performance?

Not at all. The sound (style) of the instrument and the way the harpsichordist uses this are important parts of the interpretation.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

BTW, Pascal Dubreuil (Ramée) delivers an excellent rendition of the harpsichord partitas. One of the best that I have listened to in the last time: "sunny", with perfect tempi and outstanding clarity. I recall that Premont defined this interpretation as "easygoing"; that said, I think some people could find this interpretation a bit lack of gravitas.

The sound quality is just perfect.

Here some examples: 

http://www.youtube.com/v/cnPKi7cWAFc

http://www.youtube.com/v/nWtivySqOw4

Coopmv

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on November 26, 2011, 12:00:59 AM
In the Goldbergs, I particularly enjoy Ottavio Dantone's Italian take.
Caveat: issued on Decca Italy, would be very hard to find - but it is an awesome interpretation IMO.

Q

We learn new things everyday.  I never knew there is such thing as Decca Italy.  No doubt there is no English translation in the booklet ...
:o

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on November 27, 2011, 05:22:27 AM
We learn new things everyday.  I never knew there is such thing as Decca Italy.  No doubt there is no English translation in the booklet ...
:o

Small correction: © 2005 Universal Music Italia s.r.l.
But fortunately the booklet is, besides in Italian, also in English. :)

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on November 27, 2011, 05:41:29 AM
Small correction: © 2005 Universal Music Italia s.r.l.
But fortunately the booklet is, besides in Italian, also in English. :)

Q

Unfortunately, with a single-country only release, shipping cost to the US may well outstrip the price of the CD itself.  I bought the Andras Schiff Complete Bach Keyboard Works, the German edition from jpc by bulking up the total order to make the order worthwhile since the shipping was 13 Euro.

Opus106

Quote from: Coopmv on November 27, 2011, 06:03:48 AM
Unfortunately, with a single-country only release, shipping cost to the US may well outstrip the price of the CD itself.  I bought the Andras Schiff Complete Bach Keyboard Works, the German edition from jpc by bulking up the total order to make the order worthwhile since the shipping was 13 Euro.

Incidentally, Stuart, those German Eloquence releases are now also showing up Amazon UK and US as well.
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Quote from: Opus106 on November 27, 2011, 06:36:47 AM
Incidentally, Stuart, those German Eloquence releases are now also showing up Amazon UK and US as well.

I have noticed the Australian Eloquence releases on Amazon US for sometimes and the prices are always a few dollars higher than what European etailers charge.  Unfortunately, after you add in the much higher shipping & handling from Europe, it is a wash ... 

jlaurson

J.S.Bach / Alan Curtis -- English & French Suites
(inexpensive and available globally)

English & French Suites 1 & 2

Amazon US

Amazon UK

Amazon Germany

Amazon France

English & French Suites 3 & 4

Amazon US

Amazon UK

Amazon Germany