Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

I believe there is a recording of the French Suites by Leonhardt. But it's not much discussed - not like his other Bach recordings. I'm curious why not? Any thoughts?

prémont

Quote from: milk on December 16, 2011, 05:18:00 AM
I believe there is a recording of the French Suites by Leonhardt. But it's not much discussed - not like his other Bach recordings. I'm curious why not? Any thoughts?

The reason why I do not mention it much is, that I find it less inspired than we are used to, when it is about Leonhardt. It is a pity, that f.i. Alpha didn´t offer him the chance to rerecord these suites.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

kishnevi

Crosspost from the general WAYLT thread

This evening, while my neighbors start to light off all the firecrackers they could find, a first and complete run through of this set:

Bear in mind that I actually don't have that many version of the WTC: Gould, Ashkenazy and Hewitt on piano,  Egarr and now Belder on harpsichord, and Gilbert on harpsichord only for Book I.
(There's also Robert Levin on smorgasbord in the Hanssler Complete box, but since I haven't listened to that one yet, it's not really fair to list it.)

Sonics: clear, concise, crisp, just the way I like it.
Performance:  I'll have to compare it to what I have, but while I'm mildly impressed, I'm not overwhelmed by it.  Articulation of voices, etc.  is very good, but the tempi seem to be in a fairly limited range--mostly andante or allegro moderato,  with occasional burst of speed to allegro vivace and sometimes slowing down all the way to adagio (to put it in modern terms).  No feats of prestissimo prestidigitation for this guy--more a steady as she goes.

Possibly this impression of limited range in tempi is the result of listening to it all in one go.
And as I say,  I'll have to at least compare it to Egarr and Gilbert; but for now my favorite WTC remains Hewitt on piano.

Geo Dude

Recommendations for the Goldberg Variations on harpsichord?

Forgive my laziness, but I fear that reading through the entire thread will have significant economic ramifications.

Que

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 01, 2012, 03:04:30 AM

Forgive my laziness, but I fear that reading through the entire thread will have significant economic ramifications.

There is a separate thread as well: Bach Goldberg variations

My own recommendations (in random order): Céline Frisch (Alpha), Christophe Rousset (Decca/ L'Oiseau Lyre), Ottavio Dantone (Decca).

Q

kishnevi

I'd add Andreas Staier, and a serious suggestion to avoid Richard Egarr.

milk

Hantai is great. Leonhardt is great (second is best for me). I've come around on the new Rannou recording as well.

springrite

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 01, 2012, 06:12:09 AM
I'd add Andreas Staier, and a serious suggestion to avoid Richard Egarr.

Don't like bells? I actually quite enjoyed Egarr.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

kishnevi

Quote from: springrite on January 01, 2012, 06:30:27 AM
Don't like bells? I actually quite enjoyed Egarr.

It's the tempos he uses.  As I phrase it sometimes,  it seems as if Egarr wanted to prove that the old legend (that the Variations were written to help put an insomniac to sleep) had some basis in fact.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 01, 2012, 03:04:30 AM

Hi Geo Dude -boy, there are so many Goldberg Variations recordings on single keyboard, other solo instruments, and in transcriptions (and I have examples of all) - you will likely receive MANY recommendations; my current 'harpsichord versions' are w/ Christophe Rousset, Pierre Hantai, and Fabio Bonizzoni - there are others that I've either 'culled out' or am still considering.

Another early keyboard consideration, i.e. the clavichord w/ Jaroslav Tuma might peak your interest?  :)

PaulSC

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 01, 2012, 06:41:23 AM
It's the tempos he uses.  As I phrase it sometimes,  it seems as if Egarr wanted to prove that the old legend (that the Variations were written to help put an insomniac to sleep) had some basis in fact.
Egarr's Goldbergs have always provoked mixed reactions, so I'm not entirely surprised that you to see them this way. But I find them meditative and thoroughly absorbing, nothing sleep-inducing about them for me. They're not my top choice (that might be Hantai II, or Mortensen, or Verlet), but they've been a source of real enjoyment for me.

There are two recordings on the horizon that I am anticipating: Schornsheim's (which I've already pre-ordered) and one by Joel Pontet (which seems promising based on the previews...).

Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Geo Dude

Thanks for all the replies.  The Hantai strikes me as a good start based on the samples.  The fact that it comes packaged with a dis of concertos for under $15 doesn't hurt matters.

By the way, PaulSC, are you thinking Schornsheim's upcoming Well-Tempered Clavier set?  She seems to have recorded the Goldbergs a while back and I don't see any indication of a new set - not at Amazon US at least.

Coopmv

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 01, 2012, 02:10:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies.  The Hantai strikes me as a good start based on the samples.  The fact that it comes packaged with a dis of concertos for under $15 doesn't hurt matters.

By the way, PaulSC, are you thinking Schornsheim's upcoming Well-Tempered Clavier set?  She seems to have recorded the Goldbergs a while back and I don't see any indication of a new set - not at Amazon US at least.

It is now available on Amazon US for pre-order ...

Geo Dude

Quote from: Coopmv on January 01, 2012, 02:13:36 PM

It is now available on Amazon US for pre-order ...

Exactly my point.  Unless I misunderstood PaulSC he seemed to be saying that Schornsheim has a new set of Goldberg Variations coming out.  I was guessing that he had mistaken that for the WTC.

PaulSC

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 01, 2012, 02:10:10 PM

Geo Dude, the Hantai paired with the concerto recordings is his FIRST recording of the Goldberg Variations, on the naïve label. My impression, based on hearing clips and reading reviews, is that it's very good. However, my recommendation was for his SECOND recording, on the Mirare label. Perhaps someone who knows them both well can illuminate the differences.

And yes, you are absolutely right, I was confusing Schornsheim's older GV's with her forthcoming WTC set.
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Geo Dude

Quote from: PaulSC on January 01, 2012, 02:46:22 PM
Geo Dude, the Hantai paired with the concerto recordings is his FIRST recording of the Goldberg Variations, on the naïve label. My impression, based on hearing clips and reading reviews, is that it's very good. However, my recommendation was for his SECOND recording, on the Mirare label. Perhaps someone who knows them both well can illuminate the differences.

And yes, you are absolutely right, I was confusing Schornsheim's older GV's with her forthcoming WTC set.

I may pick up the second Hantai recording at some point, but right now it seems to be out of print and cost is an issue right now.  If you find it for a reasonable price, let me know and I may look into it.

SonicMan46

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 01, 2012, 08:27:18 AM
Hi Geo Dude -boy, there are so many Goldberg Variations recordings on single keyboard, other solo instruments, and in transcriptions (and I have examples of all) - you will likely receive MANY recommendations; my current 'harpsichord versions' are w/ Christophe Rousset, Pierre Hantai, and Fabio Bonizzoni - there are others that I've either 'culled out' or am still considering.

Another early keyboard consideration, i.e. the clavichord w/ Jaroslav Tuma might peak your interest?  :)

BTW - I forgot initially, but this is a 2-disc set; first one played on two different clavichords; and second on harpsichord - so a nice combination if available at a decent price? :)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 01, 2012, 03:04:30 AMForgive my laziness, but I fear that reading through the entire thread will have significant economic ramifications.

Having changed my mind and read through the thread I can say with absolute certainty that my fear was correct.

Coopmv

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 07, 2012, 07:46:54 AM
Having changed my mind and read through the thread I can say with absolute certainty that my fear was correct.

Your financial loss is the gain for your friendly etailers like Amazon ...   ;D