Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord

Started by Que, April 14, 2007, 01:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geo Dude

Quote from: Coopmv on January 07, 2012, 08:31:40 AM
Your financial loss is the gain for your friendly etailers like Amazon ...   ;D

Or rather, the marketplace e-tailers at Amazon...in any case, I certainly have no regrets.  What's money next to the opportunity to fall in love with an instrument like the harpsichord?

Coopmv

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 07, 2012, 09:56:22 AM
Or rather, the marketplace e-tailers at Amazon...in any case, I certainly have no regrets.  What's money next to the opportunity to fall in love with an instrument like the harpsichord?

I have always enjoyed harpsichord music and have hundreds of recordings in harpsichord music ...

Geo Dude

Quote from: Coopmv on January 07, 2012, 10:46:24 AM
I have always enjoyed harpsichord music and have hundreds of recordings in harpsichord music ...

I've always enjoyed harpsichord music to an extent, but I have never taken the chance to really dig in and explore harpsichord repertoire prior to this.  I'm going from a dipping a toe in to diving in.

Leo K.

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 07, 2012, 11:54:14 AM
I've always enjoyed harpsichord music to an extent, but I have never taken the chance to really dig in and explore harpsichord repertoire prior to this.  I'm going from a dipping a toe in to diving in.

Me too, especially in Bach  ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 07, 2012, 11:54:14 AM

While I have many piano versions of baroque keyboard works, I never overlook the harpsichord version, the original instrument those works were composed for.  Again, the purists may argue that Goldberg Variations should never be performed on piano.  I don't have any problems with that ...

Geo Dude

Any tips on a harpsichord recording of the partitas?

milk

Geo Dude

Quote from: milk on January 11, 2012, 09:04:13 PM
Masaaki Suzuki is great!

Ah yes, I forgot about Suzuki...and that I've already ordered it. ???

Leo K.

Quote from: Geo Dude on January 12, 2012, 03:08:26 AM
Ah yes, I forgot about Suzuki...and that I've already ordered it. ???

I got it recently too, and it is a wonderful disk! Incredible!

8)

Leo K.

I am very taken with Richard Egarr's WTC Book 1. I knew from the sound samples I was going to love this. At first, the sound of the harpsichord attracted me to this account, but hearing it in full I am also entranced by the performance, especially the phrasing and tempos. His style fits my sensibilties. Also, I like how the cover artwork perfectly (and subjectively) matches the sound and feeling of this account  ;D

I feel the same way about Egarr's Goldberg Variations.

8)

Marc

Quote from: Leo K on January 14, 2012, 12:07:14 PM

I am very taken with Richard Egarr's WTC Book 1. I knew from the sound samples I was going to love this. At first, the sound of the harpsichord attracted me to this account, but hearing it in full I am also entranced by the performance, especially the phrasing and tempos. His style fits my sensibilties. Also, I like how the cover artwork perfectly (and subjectively) matches the sound and feeling of this account  ;D

I feel the same way about Egarr's Goldberg Variations.

8)

Maybe I shouldn't even be allowed to express my personal opinion in a broad way, because it has been so long since I last listened to this one. But I do remember why I decided not to listen to it all that often: to me, in general, his phrasing and tempi choices seemed a bit unnatural. If I, for instance, compare that listening experience with the one I had whilst listening to Bob van Asperen the first time: the difference would be too great to describe. I felt completetly connected with Van Asperen's approach from the very beginning. And I also preferred the more 'crackling' sound of Van Asperen's harpsichord.

But our different opinions are another proof that good music is able to allow and survive many different performances. :)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Leo K on January 12, 2012, 08:05:20 AM
I got it recently too, and it is a wonderful disk! Incredible!

I listened to part of it tonight.  That certainly is a sweet-toned harpsichord.  The music will need some time to digest, but it seems promising.

Leo K.

Quote from: Marc on January 14, 2012, 12:24:36 PM
Maybe I shouldn't even be allowed to express my personal opinion in a broad way, because it has been so long since I last listened to this one. But I do remember why I decided not to listen to it all that often: to me, in general, his phrasing and tempi choices seemed a bit unnatural. If I, for instance, compare that listening experience with the one I had whilst listening to Bob van Asperen the first time: the difference would be too great to describe. I felt completetly connected with Van Asperen's approach from the very beginning. And I also preferred the more 'crackling' sound of Van Asperen's harpsichord.

But our different opinions are another proof that good music is able to allow and survive many different performances. :)

I agree, it is wonderful that different approaches enhance this great music, and we can have it all! I am very happy to hear your opinion, even if it is not my own. Thanks for the comments on Van Asperen's approach, a recording I've not yet heard.  8)

JaapT

Does anyone want to share some thoughts on this Leonhardt Bach-recital: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bach-j.s.-harpsichord-works/id379531353 ?

It is an old Philips release (1985) that is out of print, but still available in digital format. It is one of my favorite harpsichord recordings, with Leonhardt in top form.

Marc

Quote from: JaapT on January 15, 2012, 02:14:01 AM

Does anyone want to share some thoughts on this Leonhardt Bach-recital: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/bach-j.s.-harpsichord-works/id379531353 ?

It is an old Philips release (1985) that is out of print, but still available in digital format. It is one of my favorite harpsichord recordings, with Leonhardt in top form.

No opinions from yours truly yet. But from now it's on my wishlist. Thanks for mentioning.

bumtz

Quote from: Marc on January 14, 2012, 12:24:36 PM

I have Egarr's WTC, and I simply hated it. Gave it three listens, my initial impression not improving. Sounded all saccharine and superficial to me.   

milk

I have Egarr's WTC, and I simply hated it. Gave it three listens, my initial impression not improving. Sounded all saccharine and superficial to me.   
[/quote]
What about Christine Schornsheim's new WTC? I've been having a hard time getting into it. But I'm known to change my mind about recordings after further listening. So far I'm finding it choppy and rushed. 

jlaurson

Quote from: milk on January 15, 2012, 11:15:53 PM

What about Christine Schornsheim's new WTC? I've been having a hard time getting into it. But I'm known to change my mind about recordings after further listening. So far I'm finding it choppy and rushed.

I'm not crazy about much of CS's WTC yet, either -- perhaps I'll warm to it yet.
I love Egarr's WTC II, though... esp. the soft flexibility of his tone.

premont

Quote from: jlaurson on January 16, 2012, 05:42:44 AM
I'm not crazy about much of CS's WTC yet, either -- perhaps I'll warm to it yet.

Is it controversial in any way? I have ordered it, but a fortnight may easily pass untill I receive it.

Quote from: jlaurson
I love Egarr's WTC II, though... esp. the soft flexibility of his tone.

On the contrary I find his Bach heavily underarticulated, bordering the sleep-provoking.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν