Buying a cd in Japan

Started by pjme, April 04, 2019, 03:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

I try to buy a cd in Japan - but find it quite difficult to access (even) Tower or HMV. The language (even after translations) remains a barrier.
Any tips?

Peter

Biffo

Quote from: pjme on April 04, 2019, 03:16:50 AM
I try to buy a cd in Japan - but find it quite difficult to access (even) Tower or HMV. The language (even after translations) remains a barrier.
Any tips?

Peter

Not really. I have a few Japanese CDs but I have bought them all online, usually from Amazon marketplace sellers. If you have a specific CD in mind try looking for it in Amazon, Japanese sellers sometimes come up or US/European sellers with the disc. All the details will be in English or possibly your local language.

I have two Brahms discs in Japanese pressings on the way, both from Amazon marketplace sellers.

Jo498

It's been several years ago (must have been c.a 2006-08) but I ordered several times from "cdjapan" (I think that was the name). The site was in English and ordering was no problem whatsoever. The shipping costs were subtanstial (despite several options of which I picked one of the cheapest), therefore I did it only a few times.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

pjme

Many thanks! Will keep you informed next week.

Peter

ritter

I've bought from cdbanq.com (which had, e.g., several Japanese Deutsche Grammophon CD releases not available in the West) and from hmv.co.jp. Occasionally, an e-mail in Japanese would arrive, but google translate would do the job (kinda  ;)).

But beware: I don't know how it'll be in Belgium, but on more than ne occasion, the Spanish taxman demanded his cut on the orders... >:(

Regards,

vandermolen

I've bought several Japanese CDs through Amazon and have never had any problems.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: ritter on April 04, 2019, 08:39:38 AM
I've bought from cdbanq.com (which had, e.g., several Japanese Deutsche Grammophon CD releases not available in the West) and from hmv.co.jp. Occasionally, an e-mail in Japanese would arrive, but google translate would do the job (kinda  ;)).

But beware: I don't know how it'll be in Belgium, but on more than ne occasion, the Spanish taxman demanded his cut on the orders... >:(

Regards,

That's how I got hold of the fantastic Böhm/WP late seventies japanese concert tours performances. Issued by DGG, but available only in Japan. Among my most treasured musical possessions 0:).

Daverz

I've ordered from

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/
http://hmv.co.jp
http://www.cdbanq.com/

Never had any problems with any of them, but it can be expensive because of shipping.  Cdbanq ships items from Taiwan.

I would check Amazon sellers first, though.

pjme

Thanks to you all. I have time to check it all out this week.

Met hartelijke groet,
Peter

staxomega

If the shop has an online presence but won't sell outside of Japan I have used ZenMarket to buy things as an in between middle man. Their fees are reasonable (not the absolute lowest) and their customer service is prompt and polite.