Explain / Translate Your Signature Line

Started by Florestan, April 06, 2019, 08:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

We have similar threads about our avatars and nicknames --- yet there is none about our signatures. I do think a signature line --- or lack thereof --- tells about us as much as our avatars and nicknames.

My current one is taken from here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Gedanken_sind_frei

and reads like this:

I love wine,
and my girl even more,
Only her I like
best of all.
I'm not alone
with my glass of wine,
my girl is with me:
Thoughts are free!

I chose this over this Saint-Saens quote:

Cheerfulness is poorly regarded in contemporary music. Haydn and Mozart are criticised for it; faces are chastely turned away from the explosion  of   exuberance  and  joy  that  marks  the  triumphant  ending  of the Ninth Symphony. Long live misery! Long live boredom! And it is the young  who  are  saying  this.  I  hope  they  won't  regret  the  lost  years  of cheerfulness when it is too late.

yet I stand by them both.  :D

How'bout you?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

JBS

Mine is the opening of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.

Quote[ Enter DUKE ORSINO, CURIO, and other Lords; Musicians attending ]
DUKE ORSINO   If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
That strain again! it had a dying fall:
O, it came o'er my ear like the sweet south,
That breathes upon a bank of violets,
Stealing and giving odour! Enough; no more:
'Tis not so sweet now as it was before.
O spirit of love! how quick and fresh art thou,
That, notwithstanding thy capacity   10
Receiveth as the sea, nought enters there,
Of what validity and pitch soe'er,
But falls into abatement and low price,
Even in a minute: so full of shapes is fancy
That it alone is high fantastical.
CURIO   Will you go hunt, my lord?
DUKE ORSINO   What, Curio?
CURIO   The hart.
DUKE ORSINO   Why, so I do, the noblest that I have:
O, when mine eyes did see Olivia first,
Methought she purged the air of pestilence!--   20
That instant was I turn'd into a hart;
And my desires, like fell and cruel hounds,
E'er since pursue me

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ken B

Mine is sort of self explanatory I think. It's a joke by Terry Pratchett. It might be intended to mock sententious do-gooders.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

greg

Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Jaakko Keskinen

Mine is description of Javert upon his arriving to have Monsieur Madeleine aka Jean Valjean arrested at the end of the first volume of Les Misérables. Javert is my favorite character throughout the book but even among many awesome moments this description of Javert's horrifying yet at the same time pure joy at having Jean Valjean at his grasp is one of the very highest summits of world literature. Most adaptations naturally ruin this great moment... by singing.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

drogulus

I use 2 Mozilla browsers, a primary (Waterfox) and a secondary (Firefox). Some things I do on my main browser slow it down and it's convenient to use another with a different profile. I can use a proxy server on one but not the other. I can log on to a financial site and use a different login for the same site simultaneously. Some sites don't work well on a deviant browser, or at all, so I switch.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

drogulus

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Ken B

I used Puffin Pro very happily on the iPad and android phone for a long time. It was easily the fastest. Then it started having problems, on both systems, and I eventually ditched it. These days I use Brave on Android and Windows and Perfect on iPad.