The Guitar Corner: A Place Where Fellow Guitarists Can Talk Shop

Started by Mirror Image, April 17, 2019, 07:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Quote from: NikF4 on June 12, 2019, 10:55:04 AM
Very nice. Despite all the variables they kind of sound underwound to me, although I'm not sure that's the correct term. I remember playing a Duncan Seth Lover set for all of five minutes and liking them - especially the neck pickup - and those seem in the ballpark.
Anyway, you thinking of acquiring that Peter Green set and putting them in something?

I'm always thinking about what I might like in the way of a set neck guitar, either with humbuckers or P90s. That doesn't mean I'm going to buy something.

Greenie pickups shouldn't be hot, they are supposed to have a rich tone. Greenies are an aberrant version of the perfect pickup for a 335. The aberration is that the poles on one pickup are magnetically reversed and the neck pickup is installed backwards.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

greg

Quote from: NikF4 on June 12, 2019, 09:32:45 AM
You're welcome.

I can't seem to get YouTube to accept the whole file, but -
https://youtu.be/mZaSmcH3pCM

Yeah, I get the difficulty with the low action. It's a compromise.
Cool!
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

NikF4

Quote from: greg on June 12, 2019, 12:55:57 PM
Cool!

Now take your third finger and move it up two frets and on to the D string. Bend that up a whole tone and keep it ringing while you play the part I've shown in the video. And finally end it by bringing the (still ringing) bent note on the D back down so the three notes are all sounding together.
Or just take the idea and/or the technique and do your thing to suit your needs.

greg

Quote from: NikF4 on June 12, 2019, 01:03:25 PM
Now take your third finger and move it up two frets and on to the D string. Bend that up a whole tone and keep it ringing while you play the part I've shown in the video. And finally end it by bringing the (still ringing) bent note on the D back down so the three notes are all sounding together.
Or just take the idea and/or the technique and do your thing to suit your needs.
Gotcha.

Pretty easy to do quickly with moderately low action, actually. All you gotta make sure to do is make sure your index finger is angled so that it's pointing in the direction of your bridge, and right before the B string is struck, mute it with the left hand pinky by pressing down

NikF4

Quote from: greg on June 12, 2019, 03:04:10 PM
Gotcha.

Pretty easy to do quickly with moderately low action, actually. All you gotta make sure to do is make sure your index finger is angled so that it's pointing in the direction of your bridge, and right before the B string is struck, mute it with the left hand pinky by pressing down

Cool. I'll check that out when I've a suitable guitar at hand.

greg

So John inspired me to listen to some boring Malmsteen album that I haven't listened to in a long time.

I chose... Eclipse. Because actually half of it is kinda boring, actually. But a few good tracks.

I love this track. Takes me back to 8th grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kjxV3Z5ypk&list=PLNc-FFHqewsO0RZ2uYeR5gdjNGiNZqnGI&index=5

That outro riff is just... dirty.  ;D

But tbh the majority of his discography focuses a bit more on catchy melodies, so that's really where it is hit or miss, more so than his playing itself.

drogulus

Eclipse means something different to me.

I went to the NY Academy of Music in 1972 to see one of my favorite bands touring their upcoming album.

Hang on, I think it must have been Carnegie Hall.

After a consultation with experts it's determined that the concert in question was at Radio City Music Hall on March 17, 1973

Set One:

"Obscured By Clouds"
    "When You're In"
    "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"
    "Careful with That Axe, Eugene"
    "Echoes" (served as the opening number during the first few weeks in March)

Set Two:

"Speak to Me"
    "Breathe"
    "On the Run"
    "Time"/"Breathe (Reprise)"
    "The Great Gig in the Sky"
    "Money"
    "Us and Them"
    "Any Colour You Like"
    "Brain Damage"
    "Eclipse"

Encore:

"One of These Days"

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

drogulus

The best electric guitar sound I ever heard live was:

Clapton > Firebird I > coily cord > Marshall Superlead x 2 > 16 Celestion greenbacks