Glazunov: Symphony 5
Ben-Haim: Symphony 1
Weinberg: Cello Concerto
Weinberg: Symphony 3
Rachmaninov: The Isle of the Dead
Rachmaninov: The Bells
Janacek: Glagolitic Mass
Dorothy Howell: Lamia
Shostakovich: Symphony 11 'The Year 1905' and symphonies 8 and 10.
Bruckner: Symphony 8
Lyadov: Short orchestral works
Sibelius: Symphony 5 (1915 version)

I usually only end up going to one or two concerts, maybe three.

I'm sorry that I no longer live in walking distance from the Royal Albert Hall as I did for many years when I was growing up and into my mid 20s.  :(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2019, 05:53:34 AM
I haven't had a proper look at the programme but the following appeal to me:

Glazunov: Symphony 5
Ben-Haim: Symphony 1
Weinberg: Cello Concerto
Weinberg: Symphony 3
Rachmaninov: The Isle of the Dead
Rachmaninov: The Bells
Janacek: Glagolitic Mass
Dorothy Howell: Lamia
Shostakovich: Symphony 11 'The Year 1905' and symphonies 8 and 10.
Bruckner: Symphony 8
Lyadov: Short orchestral works
Sibelius: Symphony 5 (1915 version)

I usually only end up going to one or two concerts, maybe three.

I'm sorry that I no longer live in walking distance from the Royal Albert Hall as I did for many years when I was growing up and into my mid 20s.  :(

Seeing Janáček's Glagolitic Mass would be incredible as would Bruckner's 8th (one of my favorite symphonies).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 18, 2019, 06:02:35 AM
Seeing Janáček's Glagolitic Mass would be incredible as would Bruckner's 8th (one of my favorite symphonies).
I agree John. I've seen the latter a number of times and was amazingly present at a prom c.1970 when the work was conducted by Jascha Horenstein - that performance was later released on CD. I was a bit young (15) to realise how significant the whole thing was:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

I saw the Glagolitic live at the Proms in 2011! Belohlavek conducted the original score. One singer was screechy but otherwise it was superb and a dream come true to see live. I would enjoy seeing the Weinberg Cello Concerto live.

relm1

Quote from: Brian on April 18, 2019, 03:39:07 PM
I saw the Glagolitic live at the Proms in 2011! Belohlavek conducted the original score. One singer was screechy but otherwise it was superb and a dream come true to see live. I would enjoy seeing the Weinberg Cello Concerto live.

Glagolitic is great live, especially if the organ feels like a punch in the face like it did for me with Dudamel/LAPhil/Disney Organ.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2019, 08:07:24 AM
I agree John. I've seen the latter a number of times and was amazingly present at a prom c.1970 when the work was conducted by Jascha Horenstein - that performance was later released on CD. I was a bit young (15) to realise how significant the whole thing was:

Very nice, Jeffrey. I bet that was a memorable concert experience, indeed.

SimonNZ

I look forward to the premieres each year - either hearing them on the radio or when some helpful soul uploads them to YT.

Of the established repertoire I'd like to be in the audience for Messian's Canyons, Berlioz's L'Enfance du Christ, Benvenuto Cellini and Le Nuits D'ete, Solomons Knot doing Bach Cantatas, and Szymanowski's Love Songs of Hafiz

Holden

I'm in London at the moment and am sad that this is before the Proms begin. That said I'm off to the RAH this afternoon to hear the traditional Good Friday "Messiah". I even treated myself a box seat for the occasion.
Cheers

Holden

vandermolen

Quote from: Holden on April 18, 2019, 09:09:01 PM
I'm in London at the moment and am sad that this is before the Proms begin. That said I'm off to the RAH this afternoon to hear the traditional Good Friday "Messiah". I even treated myself a box seat for the occasion.

Hope you enjoy it.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 18, 2019, 07:19:44 PM
Very nice, Jeffrey. I bet that was a memorable concert experience, indeed.
It was indeed John. Must have been one of my first classical concerts - before I'd even discovered Vaughan Williams. My brother couldn't go for some reason and regretted it when it became a 'legendary' performance of the work. Living near the Albert Hall was great as it meant that we could make a last minute decision to go. We always stood and it was very cheap - happy memories!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2019, 10:39:05 PM
It was indeed John. Must have been one of my first classical concerts - before I'd even discovered Vaughan Williams. My brother couldn't go for some reason and regretted it when it became a 'legendary' performance of the work. Living near the Albert Hall was great as it meant that we could make a last minute decision to go. We always stood and it was very cheap - happy memories!

Very nice, Jeffrey. So have you decided to go to any of the concerts you had in mind yet?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 19, 2019, 07:01:00 AM
Very nice, Jeffrey. So have you decided to go to any of the concerts you had in mind yet?

It depends if it overlaps with holiday plans. Everything is rather last minute here  ::)
Weinberg's Third Symphony interests me greatly as does No.1 by Ben-Haim but I'm not keen on the rest of the programme. I'll see what my daughter is interested in and my brother; it's fun to go as a group and meet up for a meal beforehand. I like Polish beer and there is a polish restaurant nearby  :)

some guy

I'm still waiting for the annual Huddersfield thread.

Sure, "The Proms" is only two short syllables, and "Huddersfield" is three, with 13 syllables if you use the full name.

Still, "Huddersfield" by itself is only one short syllable more than "The Proms."

Of course Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival doesn't have the draw of music by lots of dead guys who've all had name recognition for decades if not centuries. So if you're into musical necrophilia, I suppose it could have limited appeal.

Still....

Mandryka

Anyone know anything about the singers in The Magic Flute?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

When I was a little kid in Indiana, the next door neighbor kid was from Huddersfield. She was a jerk.

Mandryka

The problem with the Huddersfield festival is that it's not in London. What I'm waiting for is someone to start up the Almeida festival again.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Ken B

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2019, 10:39:05 PM
Fabulous.
You didn't happen to attend Christoph Eschenbach there in 1976 did you? Only time I was there were, on a high school trip. Everyone else was out getting beer, I was at the Royal Albert getting Mozart.

Holden

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2019, 10:36:00 PM
Hope you enjoy it.

I most certainly did. The smallish instrumental ensemble provided great clarity and the soloists, especially the soprano (Mhaire Lawson) were excellent. The standout for me was the Royal Choral Society choir. What wonderful singing and with great diction. In this performance it's a tradition for the audience to stand for the Hallelujah Chorus and join in if they want to but most, like me just savoured the music. Applause followed immediately after. I also liked the visceral feel of the RAH organ.

The performance earned a standing ovation. I'm so glad that I finally manage to tick this off my bucket list.
Cheers

Holden

Wanderer

A quick glance at the program showed an abundance of interesting concerts (though, most in the "it'd be nice to attend if I happened to be in London" rather than in the "I wish I were in London to attend this" category). Quite an interesting line-up of violin concerti: Dvořák (Bell), Britten (Ehnes), Sibelius (Kuusisto), Korngold (Kavakos), as well as a new violin concerto by Eötvös.

I'd definitely want to attend Belshazzar's Feast, a thrilling piece to hear live, as well as the original version of the Sibelius Symphony No.5, the ending of which I sometimes find more successful than that of the revised version.

vandermolen

Quote from: Holden on April 19, 2019, 09:02:45 PM
I most certainly did. The smallish instrumental ensemble provided great clarity and the soloists, especially the soprano (Mhaire Lawson) were excellent. The standout for me was the Royal Choral Society choir. What wonderful singing and with great diction. In this performance it's a tradition for the audience to stand for the Hallelujah Chorus and join in if they want to but most, like me just savoured the music. Applause followed immediately after. I also liked the visceral feel of the RAH organ.

The performance earned a standing ovation. I'm so glad that I finally manage to tick this off my bucket list.
Excellent! Glad to hear it.