I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Started by JimL, April 29, 2019, 05:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Hello once again! I joined this forum years ago, but have been participating until yesterday in another forum, so except for an occasional perusal I haven't really been involved here. I see there are a lot of changes, and members from long ago who seem to be no longer around. I have a lot of stuff to contribute, mostly in the way of unsung Romantic/post-Romantic composers, or obscure works by better-known composers from that period, with many YT videos to share, so hang on to your seats!

André

Hi Jim, welcome! Unsung romantic/post-romantic composers is the House specialty  :)

JimL

A word of warning: if anybody objects to what I do on YouTube when YouTube itself doesn't, let me know now. Also, is it possible for me to upload videos here directly without getting everybody into some kind of trouble?

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy yourself. There are many nice and knowledgeable people here.

JimL

Did there not used to be a member named Dundonnell? He participated in my former forum until the administrators told him that a lot of the composers he was posting about were out of their remit, so he packed up all his toys and came here.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JimL on April 29, 2019, 08:28:51 AM
Did there not used to be a member named Dundonnell? He participated in my former forum until the administrators told him that a lot of the composers he was posting about were out of their remit, so he packed up all his toys and came here.

Unfortunately, Dundonnell doesn't post here any longer. It seems he's pretty much abandoned ship. I can't even remember the last time he posted anything.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JimL on April 29, 2019, 08:28:51 AM

I caught myself thinking he had been here recently, but I checked and his last post was from about 5 years ago.

Was JimL your moniker during your previous stint here?

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 29, 2019, 10:48:48 AM
Unfortunately, Dundonnell doesn't post here any longer. It seems he's pretty much abandoned ship. I can't even remember the last time he posted anything.
Dundonnell is still active - also as a moderator webmaster - on the Art-Music Forum, where most exiles from the Unsung Composers forum (JimL was referring at) took refuge to. See http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on April 29, 2019, 12:47:39 PM
Dundonnell is still active - also as a moderator - on the Art-Music Forum, where most exiles from the Unsung Composers forum (JimL was referring at) took refuge to.
See http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that forum. Kudos, Johan. 8)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: JimL on April 29, 2019, 05:34:09 AM
Hello once again! I joined this forum years ago, but have been participating until yesterday in another forum, so except for an occasional perusal I haven't really been involved here. I see there are a lot of changes, and members from long ago who seem to be no longer around. I have a lot of stuff to contribute, mostly in the way of unsung Romantic/post-Romantic composers, or obscure works by better-known composers from that period, with many YT videos to share, so hang on to your seats!

Unsung Romantic/Post-romantic composers, ehh? That is just my very favorite period in classical music! I'm gonna wait for your posts about it.

JBS

Quote from: JimL on April 29, 2019, 05:55:24 AM
A word of warning: if anybody objects to what I do on YouTube when YouTube itself doesn't, let me know now. Also, is it possible for me to upload videos here directly without getting everybody into some kind of trouble?

Welcome!

Putting videos on Youtube and embedding them in a post here would be the best. I think you can only attach some very small files to a post, ruling out most videos.
QuoteAllowed file types: txt, doc, pdf, jpg, gif, mp3, png, wav, wma, mid, mus, etf, ftm, php, zip
Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 500KB, maximum individual size 500KB

Unfortunately I don't know how to embed, but if you need help someone here will know.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JimL

Thank you Christo! I'm heading over there to re-engage. Between the two forums (forae?) I should stay pretty busy! I hadn't been contributing to UCF very much as of late, anyway. And they live too much in the past, and are too insular. They do nothing to popularize or even expose their discoveries except to each other, which is kind of like having a conversation in a prison cell through your navels.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: JimL on April 29, 2019, 05:34:09 AM

A big warm welcome to GMG from me, Jim!  :) I'm also big on unsung Romantic/post-Romantic composers, so I'm sure we'll have a lot of interests in common. Who are some of your favorite "unsungs"?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff