Joseph Marx

Started by kristopaivinen, April 28, 2008, 02:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calyptorhynchus

Awesome, it's on my to-buy list!  8)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on April 26, 2019, 01:46:35 PM
Awesome, it's on my to-buy list!  8)
+1

I hope that Vitezslav Novak's 'Autumn Symphony' gets recorded one day as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

I probably will be buying that new Marx symphony?! I'll be waiting for the price to drop a little,though!! I quite like his Piano Concerto. Although,the first movement is the one with the tune! I have the Hyperion recording. Although,I did have the other one. Having persevered with the work,I've come to quite like it,for the sumptuousness of the orchestration. I can't say it's a favourite of mine,though!

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread -

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 27, 2019, 09:06:59 AMAnd a Marx recording highly recommended by SymphonicAddict -

And some more Marx that I didn't own:

JBS

Do you already have the ASV recordings Naxos is currently re-issuing?

If not, you might want them on your To-Do list.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Roasted Swan

Just completed my first listen to the new CPO disc of the Marx Herbstsymphonie.  I know 2 other recordings - the (slightly cut) version from Botstein and the American SO and the first complete version which was briefly available as a free download (low bitrate mp3) from the Recreation Grosses Orchester Graz - Michel Swierczewski, conducting. 

It really is a madly lush work - kind of Germanic Impressionism on steroids.  Each time I hear it, I'm impressed by the sheer opulence and sweep of the work but end up slightly bored - it is 70+ minutes of ecstatic excess with very little memorable thematic material.  Lots of atmosphere and orchestral effect but I'm not sure what else.  I'm glad its made it to disc at last and this is a fine and committed performance but my abiding impression is there are a lot of works that occupy a similar aesthetic territory to greater effect......

vandermolen

On returning from three days in Cambridge at a History examiner's meeting (a bit of context there for cilgwyn) I discovered two, mercifully unnoticed, new CDs at the bottom of the post box. These were Allan Petterson's magnificent Violin Concerto No.2, perhaps one of the greatest ever written (Andre agrees with me  :)) and Marx's 'Autumn Symphony' - how exciting! Both CDs have now been safely smuggled into the house, although I think that the cat was aware of what was going on.
>:D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Let's hope it's not like the one in the,Saki (HH Munro)story!! :( ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 08, 2019, 02:21:25 PM
Let's hope it's not like the one in the,Saki (HH Munro)story!! :( ;D
That would be most unfortunate indeed!

springrite

Quote from: vandermolen on May 08, 2019, 11:25:20 AM
On returning from three days in Cambridge at a History examiner's meeting (a bit of context there for cilgwyn) I discovered two, mercifully unnoticed, new CDs at the bottom of the post box. These were Allan Petterson's magnificent Violin Concerto No.2, perhaps one of the greatest ever written (Andre agrees with me  :)) and Marx's 'Autumn Symphony' - how exciting! Both CDs have now been safely smuggled into the house, although I think that the cat was aware of what was going on.
Beware of feline blackmail...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

JBS

It's posts like this that make me happy to be a bachelor.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

springrite

Quote from: JBS on May 08, 2019, 05:14:46 PM
It's posts like this that make me happy to be a bachelor.
Well,that's because we don't post the other stuff...  ;)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Daverz

It's gorgeous music, but I haven't yet managed to listen through the whole Herbst symphony in one sitting.

Mirror Image

You make it sound so dirty, Jeffrey. ;) ;D