Author Topic: John Ireland (1879-1962)  (Read 11589 times)

Online vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: John Ireland (1879-1962)
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2020, 02:44:48 AM »
Thought I'd bump up this thread. The sad departure of cilgwyn means that there is likely to be less traffic on this thread as he often contributed to it. From WAYLT thread - am greatly enjoying this fine Lyrita release (possibly my favourite Ireland CD), especially the 'Legend' and 'These Things Shall Be' - my favourite performances of both works:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2020, 09:09:15 AM »
After Elgar and RVW, John Ireland must be part of a select group of England's most important composers. A Chandos double CD of Ireland's chamber works is I think my CD purchase of 2019. The performance of Ireland's most important chamber work, the first Violin Sonata, is outstanding and trumps two other recordings (one on Lyrita) I own on LP.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Ratliff

« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »
After Elgar and RVW, John Ireland must be part of a select group of England's most important composers. A Chandos double CD of Ireland's chamber works is I think my CD purchase of 2019. The performance of Ireland's most important chamber work, the first Violin Sonata, is outstanding and trumps two other recordings (one on Lyrita) I own on LP.

That is indeed a gorgeous set, recommended to me by member Luke of olden times. Mordkovitch had such a beautiful, fluid tone, I treasure every recording of hers I have heard. I recall the cello sonata as my favorite composition in the set.

Online Roasted Swan

« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »
Thought I'd bump up this thread. The sad departure of cilgwyn means that there is likely to be less traffic on this thread as he often contributed to it. From WAYLT thread - am greatly enjoying this fine Lyrita release (possibly my favourite Ireland CD), especially the 'Legend' and 'These Things Shall Be' - my favourite performances of both works:

+1 - a very fine and generous collection.  "These Things Shall Be" always seems such an improbable Ireland score - John Carol Case's voice is so embedded in my inner ear singing his loftily optimistic verse.  I'm still not sure I really buy into it at all - but this is a great version.  One of the collections Lyrita has released as part of their "Studio Master" hi-res series.  I haven't heard this one but to judge by those I have, this will be very fine - even if you are download intolerant....!

Online vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2020, 10:14:38 AM »
Thank you Lol, Ratliff and RS for responding to my earlier post  :)
That Chandos CD of Ireland's chamber music looks most enticing. I've always had a soft spot for 'These Things Shall Be' ever since taking Boult's Lyrita LP out of the High Street Kensington Music Library (where I discovered do much interesting music) in my youth. Coincidentally I just received this CD and was most impressed by Ireland's Cello Sonata which I don't recall hearing before:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:18:19 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2020, 01:59:07 PM »
I must give the cello sonata a listen after such a strong advocacy from Ratliff and Jeffrey.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Online Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2020, 05:52:26 AM »
Thank you Lol, Ratliff and RS for responding to my earlier post  :)
That Chandos CD of Ireland's chamber music looks most enticing. I've always had a soft spot for 'These Things Shall Be' ever since taking Boult's Lyrita LP out of the High Street Kensington Music Library (where I discovered do much interesting music) in my youth. Coincidentally I just received this CD and was most impressed by Ireland's Cello Sonata which I don't recall hearing before:

A good set of works on that CD, Jeffrey. I like both the Bridge and Delius sonatas. I did get a chance to listen to the Ireland, which is brooding and deep.