Started by Dundonnell, December 06, 2007, 03:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

This is physically available asking at stiftung@petermieg.ch  MR.Hediger

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

lunar22

Quote from: vandermolen on February 03, 2020, 03:27:48 AMI've taken this thread out of hibernation as I did not want to start a new one for a Soviet/Swiss/Russian/German composer of the 21st Symphony. I wanted to mention this most interesting CD. I'm currently listening to the Symphony No.4 (2014-2015) by Alexander Brincken (born 1952) I found the long opening paragraphs very moving. Sure, the tonal language is anachronistic but so what? Rather than ramble on about it I've attached the Musicweb review. Frank Schmidt's 4th Symphony came to mind most of all, at least in the opening movement with its searching/visionary motto theme. The finale reminded me, at times, of the hopeless defiance of Schulhoff's magnificent 5th Symphony.
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Jan/Brincken_orchestral_v1_TOCC0550.htm

Brincken's 4th symphony is quite simply my favourite of the 21st century. His 5th is very good too (only available in a poor mock-up) and the much earlier 1st performed by the Leningrad Phil no less is a worthy successor to Bruckner -- unfortunately, the composer was not happy with the live performance and has refused to put more than 4 minutes from the slow movement on YouTube which is a crying shame.  At the moment, there is no prospect of further recordings unless he can find a sponsor. Even as things stand, I think he is the most important standard-bearer of the German Bruckner/Schmidt tradition, although of course that won't silence the debate about whether one should be writing that sort of music nowadays -- I have my own clear views on that (and myself write symphonies which in some cases also follow that tradition).

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland

Roy Bland