Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, Bachtoven (+ 1 Hidden) and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

calyptorhynchus

To add to the above, the article referred to has, on pp20-21 a thematic breakdown of the finale, but with only sporadic indications of key. As well has having a full narrative of this, it would be useful to have a general discussion about tonality in the symphony. Bruckner is usually very good at treating different tonal areas in different movements, so if the slow movement had deal extensively with a certain set of keys, then the finale will emphasise other ones in relation to the tonic.

My interest in this is from reading Robert Simpson's Bruckner book. In his last published words on the subject (the revised edition in 1992) he doubted that the reconstructions he had seen would prove to have the necessary tonal momentum to support the ending of the finale. My tone-deaf ears suggest that the latest reconstruction does have this, but I wanted to read an account discussing this aspect of the reconstruction work.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

MishaK

I don't know of an article that walks you through the movement, but you should definitely get a hold of this album (or listen to it on Spotify):

http://www.amazon.com/Bruckner-Symphony-Documentation-Fragment-Harnoncourt/dp/B0000AF1IG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382386485&sr=8-1&keywords=bruckner+harnoncourt

There is a lecture both in English and German (separate tracks), in which Harnoncourt and his musicians explain what is left of the movement that is original Bruckner, and he explains the structure a bit as well as he goes along while conducting the pertinent fragments.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Octave

Two questions:

1. To revive a topic that's had some discussion: are there any ~complete motets recordings that are most highly recommended?  I have the old Jochum recordings (the old 'embossed' white box), but I'd like a more recent recording and/or different approach.  Monkey Greg got the Jones/Naxos early this year and sampled a couple others, and there was brief discussion.
Actually, strong recommendations for sundry recordings of each of the motets might be even better.
Monkey Greg's post with a bit of discussion following is here.

2. Is there an exceptional recording of the REQUIEM that must be heard?  These seem more rare.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Wanderer

Quote from: Octave on December 11, 2013, 09:37:56 PM
2. Is there an exceptional recording of the REQUIEM that must be heard?  These seem more rare.

There's a decent one on Hyperion (amazon.com link) but I've never thought of it as particularly exceptional (i.e. of the "must be heard" variety).

Cato

Quote from: Wanderer on December 11, 2013, 11:34:02 PM
There's a decent one on Hyperion (amazon.com link) but I've never thought of it as particularly exceptional (i.e. of the "must be heard" variety).

Wow!  The Requiem!  I must admit that I have not listened nor thought of it in decades!!!

My LP collection had (I think) a Nonesuch recording, but I cannot recall anything else about it.

Wikipedia has a recommendation for this one:

[asin]B000002ZJR[/asin]

and this one:

[asin]B001JHI8QQ[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

North Star

Quote from: Cato on December 12, 2013, 08:58:09 AM
Wikipedia has a recommendation
Oh, they recommend recordings these days?  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Cato

Quote from: North Star on December 12, 2013, 09:11:03 AM
Oh, they recommend recordings these days?  8)

Well, they did this time!   ;)

From what I can tell, these are the only two available anyway!

North Star

Quote from: Cato on December 12, 2013, 09:13:20 AM
Well, they did this time!   ;)

From what I can tell, these are the only two available anyway!
Yes, in that case it's probably not too subjective for Wikipedia.  :)

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on December 12, 2013, 08:58:09 AM
and this one:

[asin]B001JHI8QQ[/asin]

I like the Ockeghem / de Lassus volume in that series, so I'll give that one a shot!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Octave

Thanks Cato and Wanderer.
Someone else posted right after Wanderer this morning and suggested yet another recording, out of print and perhaps never CD'ed.  I was at work and did not save the link....and now the post has disappeared!  I'm annoyed that I cannot even remember who the poster was, but if he reads this, can he PM me with that link?
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Brahmsian

First listens to these magnificent performances (particularly the 2nd).  Sizzling, spicy hot!!  :)

Bruckner

Symphony No. 2 in C minor (1875/76 Nowak)
Symphony No. 3 in D minor (1888/89 Nowak)

Jochum
Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks

DG

[asin]B00006YXOX[/asin]

madaboutmahler

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 24, 2013, 05:13:00 PM
Loved Vanksa's 3rd with the BBC Scottish SO, now had the pleasure of listening to his 4th (1888 version) with the Minnesota Orchestra via Spotify. Another successful interpretation to these ears, very detailed with a consistent emotional drive, cymbals and all.
Any other takers?

Where are the cymbals placed Greg in this version? And how regularly? I'm all for loads of percussion as you know, but I wonder if adding cymbals to Bruckner (I know it has been done in 5 as well), makes moments like the one crash in the Adagio of 7 slightly less awe-inspiring and special.. that crash is one of my favourite moments in all Bruckner and all music! :D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 30, 2013, 10:35:16 AM
Where are the cymbals placed Greg in this version? And how regularly? I'm all for loads of percussion as you know, but I wonder if adding cymbals to Bruckner (I know it has been done in 5 as well), makes moments like the one crash in the Adagio of 7 slightly less awe-inspiring and special.. that crash is one of my favourite moments in all Bruckner and all music! :D

Same here, Daniel.  I'm an 'unpurist', when it comes to stuff like this.   :D

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 29, 2013, 09:26:35 AM
First listens to these magnificent performances (particularly the 2nd).  Sizzling, spicy hot!!  :)

Bruckner

Symphony No. 2 in C minor (1875/76 Nowak)
Symphony No. 3 in D minor (1888/89 Nowak)

Jochum
Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks

DG

[asin]B00006YXOX[/asin]

My favorite set! 

And speaking of cymbal clashes NOT indicated in the score...

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 30, 2013, 10:35:16 AM

Jochum adds cymbals most effectively in the first movement of the Fourth (Nowak score) bar 325.

Brahmsian

First listens to these wonderful performances, over the last few days.

Bruckner

Symphony No. 4 in E flat major 'Romantic'
*Symphony No. 5 in B flat major
*Symphony No. 6 in A major
Symphony No. 7 in E major
Symphony No. 8 in C minor
Symphony No. 9 in D minor

Jochum
Berlin Philharmonic
*Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks

DG

[asin]B00006YXOX[/asin]

So, this completes my first run through this set.  All terrific performances, but the performances that really stand out for me are the 2nd, 5th and 6th symphonies!  :)

Karl Henning

This morning, I listened again to "Sarge's Seventh," the Chailly/Berlin Radio Symphony CD.  I love this stuff!  Could listen to the Adagio on repeat forever.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on January 01, 2014, 08:43:32 AM
This morning, I listened again to "Sarge's Seventh," the Chailly/Berlin Radio Symphony CD.  I love this stuff!  Could listen to the Adagio on repeat forever.

I have that performance on the listening pile and am very excited to hear it, especially now that I know it's 'Sarge's Seventh'!! :D I agree, the Adagio is just incredible. The climax with the cymbal crash is one of my favourite moments in music. So exciting and glorious! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 01, 2014, 09:06:20 AM
I have that performance on the listening pile and am very excited to hear it, especially now that I know it's 'Sarge's Seventh'!! :D I agree, the Adagio is just incredible. The climax with the cymbal crash is one of my favourite moments in music. So exciting and glorious! :)

Have you heard the symphony live yet, Daniel? The Adagio is staggering live. I've heard Sinopoli, Barenboim and Welser-Möst (the most impressive of the three actually) but missed Celi  :(

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on January 01, 2014, 08:43:32 AM
Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 01, 2014, 09:06:20 AM
That's a great performance indeed! And yes, I've repeated the Adagio aplenty, too.   :)

My photographs on Flickr