Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Biffo

Quote from: Cato on January 09, 2021, 08:03:39 AM
In various places I have noticed an increase in interest in the Symphony #1, which I have always found a wonderful work.  Some reviewers and Brucknerians throughout the years have sniffed at it somewhat, which I have never understood.  Eugen Jochum's DGG recording brings out the energy and ebullience in the work.

Anyway, this CD came out about a year ago.

I am not sure whether it is a newer performance, or a re-issue from 2012, which also offered the Symphonies II and III.

See also:

https://www.abruckner.com/store/abrucknercomexclus/exclusiveandhardto/symphony-no-1-vienna-version-of-1891-gerd-schaller/

This was the first Bruckner symphony I heard and I have loved it ever since - I still have the LP

André

# 1 is a cracking work, bursting with energy. My first version and, TBH still my favourite, is Haitink's RCOA.

Brahmsian

In various places I have noticed an increase in interest in the Symphony #1, which I have always found a wonderful work.  Some reviewers and Brucknerians throughout the years have sniffed at it somewhat, which I have never understood.  Eugen Jochum's DGG recording brings out the energy and ebullience in the work.

I am not sure whether it is a newer performance, or a re-issue from 2012, which also offered the Symphonies II and III.

See also:

https://www.abruckner.com/store/abrucknercomexclus/exclusiveandhardto/symphony-no-1-vienna-version-of-1891-gerd-schaller/

Leo, it is a newer recording, I believe. The one from 2012 is the early Linz version of 1866.  That's the one that is included in the Schaller box set.

krummholz

Quote from: Mahlerian on May 10, 2020, 06:33:49 AM
Which reminds me, Schoenberg's Chamber Symphony No. 2 is in E-flat minor (six flats!).

And his Chamber Symphony No. 1 ends in E major, I believe.

My ranking of the Bruckner symphonies:

#8 (superb through and through - can't point to a favorite movement)
#9 (second only because he didn't live to finish it - all signs are that the finished work would have deserved the #1 spot)
#6 (I disagree that the finale is weak... and the slow movement is one of his best IMO)
#7 (and the Adagio is my favorite movement... but I agree that the last two movements are too short)
#3 (contains IMO his first great slow movement)
#5 (I love the Adagio but have some reservations about the Finale's length)
#1 (agree that it's full of energy and life... but it is relatively early and IMO not quite mature)
#4 (I like the Finale best of all the movements)
#2 (this one has always struck me as rambling and weak... but it could just be me)

André

Love your list ! The only change I'd make is to elevate #5 to the third rank. I especially like that lengthy finale  :P

Cato

Quote from: André on January 09, 2021, 09:11:08 AM

# 1 is a cracking work, bursting with energy. My first version and, TBH still my favourite, is Haitink's RCOA.

Amen, Andre' !

See also:

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 10, 2021, 04:16:44 AM

Leo, it is a newer recording, I believe. The one from 2012 is the early Linz version of 1866.  That's the one that is included in the Schaller box set.

Many thanks for the information!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

Here is an interesting mix:

We announce the upcoming release of Andris Nelsons and the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig's performance of Bruckner's Symphonies Nos. 2 & 8, coupled with Wagner's Meistersinger Prelude. The Orchestra and the Latvian Maestro recently announced the extension of their acclaimed partnership until 2027.
"In this symphony, Bruckner has formulated everything very clearly: the wonderful themes are clearly separated from each other by general pauses, and yet the result is a great whole. It is astonishing that this work is so rarely performed – in fact it is an ideal introduction to the cosmos of Bruckner's Symphony", says Gewandhaus Kapellmeister Andris Nelsons about the second symphony. Bruckner himself called his Eighth a "mystery". Andris Nelsons has much to gain from this: "Bruckner penetrated here, especially in the slow movement, into regions that were beyond the reach of other composers. The unity of the enormous work is also a miracle. The magnificent final set – the last that Bruckner was able to complete – contributes to this".

The album is set to be released 5 February 2021 and is available for pre-order now. Listen to the first pre-release track Bruckner: Symphony No. 2: 3. Scherzo. Mäßig schnell – Trio. Gleiches Tempo now!

For that taste of the performance....

See:

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/catalogue/products/bruckner-symphonies-nos-2-8-nelsons-12212?utm_source=andere&utm_medium=organischer-post&utm_content=Nelsons+Bruckner+Symphonies+2+8&utm_campaign=Nelsons+Bruckner+Symphonies+2+8

Brahmsian

Quote from: krummholz on January 10, 2021, 06:06:47 AM

My ranking of the Bruckner symphonies:

#8 (superb through and through - can't point to a favorite movement)
#9 (second only because he didn't live to finish it - all signs are that the finished work would have deserved the #1 spot)
#6 (I disagree that the finale is weak... and the slow movement is one of his best IMO)
#7 (and the Adagio is my favorite movement... but I agree that the last two movements are too short)
#3 (contains IMO his first great slow movement)
#5 (I love the Adagio but have some reservations about the Finale's length)
#1 (agree that it's full of energy and life... but it is relatively early and IMO not quite mature)
#4 (I like the Finale best of all the movements)
#2 (this one has always struck me as rambling and weak... but it could just be me)

Well, I really do listen to 3-9 on a frequent basis, and lately it is 4 and 8 on a very frequent basis.

I listen much less frequently to 1 and 2, but particularly less to number 2.

Brahmsian

Well, speaking of the 2nd symphony......WOW!  This made a tremendously positive impression on me.  I had never heard the (much longer) 1872 First version, here edited by William Carragan.  I had only ever heard the revised (much shorter) 1877 version. 

For me, 100% prefer the 1872 version, which is longer, but also has the Scherzo as the second movement.  It seemed more cohesive than the highly revised and cut 1877 version.

Has anyone else heard the 1872 version?  Any thoughts?

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 14, 2021, 08:04:18 AM

Well, speaking of the 2nd symphony......WOW!  This made a tremendously positive impression on me.  I had never heard the (much longer) 1872 First version, here edited by William Carragan.  I had only ever heard the revised (much shorter) 1877 version. 

For me, 100% prefer the 1872 version, which is longer, but also has the Scherzo as the second movement.  It seemed more cohesive than the highly revised and cut 1877 version.

Has anyone else heard the 1872 version?  Any thoughts?

+ 1 for me, the Tinter recording of #2 is almost the only one I listen to. Recently I listened to recording of the 1877 version and was genuinely shocked by the ineptness of the cut in the finale.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Cato

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on January 14, 2021, 11:39:14 AM
+ 1 for me, the Tinter recording of #2 is almost the only one I listen to. Recently I listened to recording of the 1877 version and was genuinely shocked by the ineptness of the cut in the finale.

In general, "cutting" a Bruckner symphony is a bad idea, but from what I recall from biographical stories, almost every conductor back then told Bruckner that yes, he liked Symphony # X very much, "but, of course, there would have to be cuts."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on January 16, 2021, 06:10:16 PM
In general, "cutting" a Bruckner symphony is a bad idea, but from what I recall from biographical stories, almost every conductor back then told Bruckner that yes, he liked Symphony # X very much, "but, of course, there would have to be cuts."

Argh!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

Well I bought Tintner's recording of the 2nd on the praise of some here, but unfortunately the disc does not play for some unknown reason. A shame. In any case, I will soon be revisiting the one recording of the symphony that I have: Barenboim with the Berlin Philharmonic. It's probably the Bruckner symphony I'm least familiar with, excepting the "disowned" symphonies, which I have only recently begun spending time with.

I'm listening now to the Marriner/Stuttgart recording of "Die Nullte". So far, I like it. I guess I must be really in a Bruckner mood lately because everything is clicking with me, even these supposedly minor early works.

Any general thoughts here on No.0 and No.00? Do you like them as much as the others, or was Bruckner right to have disowned them?

On an unrelated note, I saw this at the record store yesterday...:

Thoughts on this recording? I wasn't aware that Kubelik had recorded any Bruckner.

Brahmsian

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 17, 2021, 04:56:39 AM

Any general thoughts here on No.0 and No.00? Do you like them as much as the others, or was Bruckner right to have disowned them?

I myself have only recently started to get familiarized with the two zero numbered symphonies.

I find the early study symphony in F minor to be charming. It was Bruckner's first attempt at writing a symphony. It lacks some Brucknerian characteristics, but at the same time shows a lot of promise. I particularly love the scherzo.

For the other symphony, in D minor, this is a full blown mature work, in fact, written after Symphony number one. I think it is of a high quality, equal to Symphony number one and two!

André

Well I bought Tintner's recording of the 2nd on the praise of some here, but unfortunately the disc does not play for some unknown reason. A shame. In any case, I will soon be revisiting the one recording of the symphony that I have: Barenboim with the Berlin Philharmonic. It's probably the Bruckner symphony I'm least familiar with, excepting the "disowned" symphonies, which I have only recently begun spending time with.

I'm listening now to the Marriner/Stuttgart recording of "Die Nullte". So far, I like it. I guess I must be really in a Bruckner mood lately because everything is clicking with me, even these supposedly minor early works.

Thoughts on this recording? I wasn't aware that Kubelik had recorded any Bruckner.

It's my favourite performance of my preferrered version (1877). Also available in this fine, inexpensive box:

Que

I wouldn't call myself a true Brucknerian, but just want to echo André's response: amazing recording - get it!  :)

Cato

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 17, 2021, 05:06:18 AM
I myself have only recently started to get familiarized with the two zero numbered symphonies.

I find the early study symphony in F minor to be charming. It was Bruckner's first attempt at writing a symphony. It lacks some Brucknerian characteristics, but at the same time shows a lot of promise. I particularly love the scherzo.

For the other symphony, in D minor, this is a full blown mature work, in fact, written after Symphony number one. I think it is of a high quality, equal to Symphony number one and two!

I wish it had been recorded:

A few years ago I heard The Toledo Symphony under Stefan Sanderling  perform Die Nullte in the Catholic cathedral there!  Sanderling and the orchestra proved that this was no beginner's work!

Cato

From the Anton Bruckner website:

One of the first things you learn in Psychology "101" is the concept of "Intermittent reinforcement." An occasional reward can keep someone coming back for more and more. The perfect real-world example of this concept is gambling. But this works with collecting as well. This month's download is a perfect example. I keep searching and searching for out-of-the-way Bruckner recordings and here is this one. It is a CD released in 2010 of a performance of the Youth Orchestra of Bremen. The orchestra is still in existence and the conductor, Stefan Geiger is active in Germany and he is still leading these talented young musicians. Here is a chance for all of us to hear their good work from over a decade ago. And I'll keep searching...

The download has 4 FLAC tracks.

https://www.abruckner.com//downloads/downloadofthemonth/february21/

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

A television performance from Spain of the Psalm 150 was sent to me recently by an Internet acquaintance:

https://www.youtube.com/v/nmx0yRQhe78&list=RDnmx0yRQhe78&start_radio=1&t=170