Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

vers la flamme

Really admiring Georg Tintner's work in Bruckner these days. Generally speaking, Bruckner's music seems to make more sense to me with each successive listen to any of his symphonies. I feel like this is music that takes some time to reveal itself to the listener, but it's interesting what a cumulative effect this seems to be, my appreciation of his art. I think I'm enjoying Bruckner more than ever. I might go as far as calling him a top 10 composer. Though I must confess there are times when I try and listen to a symphony of his and it just doesn't hit me the way it's supposed to. I still find Bruckner to be somewhat of an enigma.

What are the thoughts on Tintner, here? What are some favorite recordings of his? I think his 9th is extremely successful. I'm listening to the 4th now and enjoying it greatly. I know he's notable for tending to always prefer the earliest available versions of symphonies, but I'm not yet familiar enough with Bruckner to be able to really hear the distinctions between versions.

Mirror Image

I can only say that I've always been underwhelmed by Tintner's traversal of Bruckner. I don't really to find him to be a conductor of note. Plus, why would I listen to his Bruckner when there's Jochum, Wand, Giulini, Haitink, etc.? So many better options available, IMHO.

Symphonic Addict

The 6th Symphony on that box set is the most satisfying performance of that piece IMO (even before Hurwitz claimed the same).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 24, 2021, 03:23:44 PM
The 6th Symphony on that box set is the most satisfying performance of that piece IMO (even before Hurwitz claimed the same).

Do you mean the Tintner? I don't have the box set, but I did just bid on a copy of that disc as well as Tintner's 7th. (I don't follow Hurwitz.) My personal favorite Bruckner 6th is Bongartz/Leipzig, but I confess I've not heard many. I'd like to hear more. It's a great symphony.

Cato

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 24, 2021, 03:04:27 PM
Really admiring Georg Tintner's work in Bruckner these days. Generally speaking, Bruckner's music seems to make more sense to me with each successive listen to any of his symphonies. I feel like this is music that takes some time to reveal itself to the listener, but it's interesting what a cumulative effect this seems to be, my appreciation of his art. I think I'm enjoying Bruckner more than ever. I might go as far as calling him a top 10 composer. Though I must confess there are times when I try and listen to a symphony of his and it just doesn't hit me the way it's supposed to. I still find Bruckner to be somewhat of an enigma.

What are the thoughts on Tintner, here? What are some favorite recordings of his? I think his 9th is extremely successful. I'm listening to the 4th now and enjoying it greatly. I know he's notable for tending to always prefer the earliest available versions of symphonies, but I'm not yet familiar enough with Bruckner to be able to really hear the distinctions between versions.

Welcome to Bruckner!   Your comment about familiarity bringing more understanding and enjoyment is precisely the approach I took toward Schoenberg many decades ago.  The effort was worth it!  My mentor Alexander Tcherepnin often advised "keep listening," or to expand to something else unfamiliar, and then go back to the "incomprehensible" work and see if anything in one's comprehension had changed.

Tintner's NAXOS CD with the 1872 version is not to be missed.

A performance of the Originalfassung with Simone Young and the Hamburg Philharmonic on OEHMS Classics was given some top reviews.

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 24, 2021, 03:37:01 PM
Do you mean the Tintner? I don't have the box set, but I did just bid on a copy of that disc as well as Tintner's 7th. (I don't follow Hurwitz.) My personal favorite Bruckner 6th is Bongartz/Leipzig, but I confess I've not heard many. I'd like to hear more. It's a great symphony.

Then you must hear (Saint)  0:)  Eugen Jochum's version of the Symphony #6: the slow movement is transcendent!

https://www.youtube.com/v/iGSovJ6OzLw

Of course, there is the famous Symphony #5 performance with Eugen Jochum and the Concertgebouw Orchestra from the 1980's, also not to be missed!

The !960's DGG Jochum set of all 9 symphonies is essential...for me at least!   ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

The 6th, next to the 8th and 9th, is my favorite Bruckner symphony. The performance that really turned me around was Haitink's live Dresden account on Profil. Do check it out!

calyptorhynchus

I like Tinter in the early symphonies (0-3), particularly his choice of version. I find other conductors better in the later symphonies.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

DavidW

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 24, 2021, 03:04:27 PM

I think this recording of the third symphony is exceptional.  I prefer Jochum, Karajan, Skrowaczewski, and some others in 4-9.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on February 24, 2021, 04:33:48 PM
I think this recording of the third symphony is exceptional.  I prefer Jochum, Karajan, Skrowaczewski, and some others in 4-9.

The best 3rd I've ever heard came from Kubelik on Audite:

DavidW

Okay I've added that recording to my list to listen!

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on February 24, 2021, 06:58:42 PM
Okay I've added that recording to my list to listen!

8) Hope you enjoy it.

aukhawk

Tintner - I'm fond of the 2nd - this recording really opened my ears.

However I have subsequently replaced him with Gergiev who I think really hits the spot in this symphony.

Though - as in the WAYL2N thread - I'm generally a Venzago man, on the rare occasions I listen to Bruckner - which probably disqualifies me from this thread  :laugh:

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2021, 04:37:00 PM
The best 3rd I've ever heard came from Kubelik on Audite:

Rafael Kubelik is never to be excluded!

Here is a late 1970's recording of the Sixth Symphony: somebody offered it on YouTube back in October!

https://www.youtube.com/v/uoJfmsBsCuw

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on February 25, 2021, 04:04:35 AM

Rafael Kubelik is never to be excluded!

Here is a late 1970's recording of the Sixth Symphony: somebody offered it on YouTube back in October!

https://www.youtube.com/v/uoJfmsBsCuw

Indeed! I also like this recording with Kubelik:

Herman

In 6, I really like the live Haitink with the Dresden Phil on Profil.

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2021, 04:15:44 PM
The 6th, next to the 8th and 9th, is my favorite Bruckner symphony. The performance that really turned me around was Haitink's live Dresden account on Profil. Do check it out!

Me too by a long country mile. It is so amazing and so Haitink's live Dresden account.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on February 26, 2021, 10:23:49 AM
Me too by a long country mile. It is so amazing and so Haitink's live Dresden account.

Great minds think alike. ;) 8)

André

From ABruckner.com comes this transcript of a 1941 performance of the mighty 5th by the great Paul van Kempen conducting the Amsterdam Concertgebouw orchestra. The sound is ancient, but not quite prehistoric. Lots of surface noise, but a clear ambience.

https://www.abruckner.com/downloads/downloadofthemonth/march21/

vers la flamme

Thoughts on the Klaus Tennstedt/LPO live Bruckner 7th?

I'd be curious to hear it. 

The more I listen, the more I remain unconvinced by Karajan's Bruckner. I have the two late VPO recordings of the 7th and 8th, the latter of which I listened to this morning. I also have the EMI Berlin 4th, which sounds pretty good, but I can't say it's my favorite. I'm not sure what gives? It's clearly solid stuff, good conducting, good playing, but it doesn't seem to have the same kind of excitement that Karajan brings to the likes of Beethoven.

An unrelated thought, but I still don't seem to have much love for the 8th symphony. I wonder whether I'm alone in this.

Cato

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 02, 2021, 03:56:34 PM
Thoughts on the Klaus Tennstedt/LPO live Bruckner 7th?

I'd be curious to hear it. 

The more I listen, the more I remain unconvinced by Karajan's Bruckner. I have the two late VPO recordings of the 7th and 8th, the latter of which I listened to this morning. I also have the EMI Berlin 4th, which sounds pretty good, but I can't say it's my favorite. I'm not sure what gives? It's clearly solid stuff, good conducting, good playing, but it doesn't seem to have the same kind of excitement that Karajan brings to the likes of Beethoven.

An unrelated thought, but I still don't seem to have much love for the 8th symphony. I wonder whether I'm alone in this

The 8th Symphony is, perhaps, just as experimental as the Ninth.  The Scherzo is especially idiosyncratic, but in the right hands, the entire symphony can be shown to be a journey toward the last two triumphant pages of the score!