Author Topic: Bruckner's Abbey  (Read 626899 times)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Bruckner's Abbey
« Reply #3700 on: January 27, 2022, 07:43:32 AM »

For the 5th, I am quite partial to Jochum (either Staatskapelle Dresden or Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks).

There is also the famous Concertgebouw performance from the 1980's: one of Saint  0:)   Eugen Jochum's    8)  last concerts.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eFFnjWW8jwo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eFFnjWW8jwo</a>
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #3701 on: January 27, 2022, 07:51:47 AM »
Anton Bruckner
Symphony 5
Georg Tintner
RSNO

First run at a couple of days of #5. Any loved recs of relatively modern recordings appreciated. I make no apology for my advocacy of Tintner, and I also want to continue to hear Chailly and Inbal, but keen to hear your thoughts.

I dig (among others) Haitink with the Bavarian Radio Symphony
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline foxandpeng

• Veteran member
    Mostly post-1900. Brits. Northern Europeans. Others.
« Reply #3702 on: January 27, 2022, 12:21:02 PM »

Thanks, Karl. This will probably be this evening's final run at #5 before I move on to #6. I'll listen with interest (once I've heard the new DSCH SQ release from Novus Qt)!
“A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #3703 on: January 27, 2022, 06:06:12 PM »
Thanks, Karl. This will probably be this evening's final run at #5 before I move on to #6. I'll listen with interest (once I've heard the new DSCH SQ release from Novus Qt)!

It’s one of the truly great performances of the 5th.

Offline ultralinear

• What? WHAT???
« Reply #3704 on: March 12, 2022, 08:09:14 AM »
Over on BBC Radio 3 Tom Service spends quite an interesting half-hour debunking some of the more pernicious (and persistent) myths surrounding Bruckner's music.

Not sure how accessible this is to users outside the UK, but I think it should be possible - it might be necessary to set up a (free) account perhaps. :-\

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #3705 on: March 12, 2022, 11:19:05 AM »
Any loved recs of relatively modern recordings appreciated.

Somewhat to my surprise, I really like the Ormandy version, which I have on an old Columbia LP issue. Rather swift and dramatic performance (not a stereotypical Brucknerian "cathedral in sound").
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline Linz

« Reply #3706 on: March 12, 2022, 12:39:37 PM »
The Ormandy recording of the 5th turned me right off the fifth for quite a while

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #3707 on: March 12, 2022, 02:05:59 PM »
The Ormandy recording of the 5th turned me right off the fifth for quite a while

Why?

For what it's worth, Solti/CSO was my intro to the 5th. As you might expect, it should be renamed Concerto for Brass Band & Orchestra, but it didn't put me off the piece itself.

Over on BBC Radio 3 Tom Service spends quite an interesting half-hour debunking some of the more pernicious (and persistent) myths surrounding Bruckner's music.

Thanks for posting that - very enjoyable.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 02:07:43 PM by Archaic Torso of Apollo »
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #3708 on: March 12, 2022, 04:24:22 PM »
Ormandy’s Bruckner is not intrinsically bad, but the constant legato, rather quick tempi and reluctance to observe real pauses make the music sound…oily. The fifth is probably Bruckner’s most ‘blocky’ structure. Its execution should emphasize big dynamic contrasts, raspy winds/brass tones and respect the silences between paragraphs. In that respect the exact opposite of Ormandy’s 5th is the Klemperer version(s).

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #3709 on: March 13, 2022, 02:11:48 PM »
Ormandy’s Bruckner is not intrinsically bad, but the constant legato, rather quick tempi and reluctance to observe real pauses make the music sound…oily. The fifth is probably Bruckner’s most ‘blocky’ structure. Its execution should emphasize big dynamic contrasts, raspy winds/brass tones and respect the silences between paragraphs. In that respect the exact opposite of Ormandy’s 5th is the Klemperer version(s).

Thanks for the reviews!  I will see if I can find it.  Ormandy usually did so well with things like the Mahler Second Symphony and Rachmaninov.

Not sure how accessible this is to users outside the UK, but I think it should be possible - it might be necessary to set up a (free) account perhaps. :-\

Many thanks for the link!

And allow me to offer this as Lenten Music:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ov-OAmpcRfw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ov-OAmpcRfw</a>

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #3710 on: March 13, 2022, 05:50:57 PM »
Thanks for the reviews!  I will see if I can find it.  Ormandy usually did so well with things like the Mahler Second Symphony and Rachmaninov.

Many thanks for the link!

And allow me to offer this as Lenten Music:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ov-OAmpcRfw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ov-OAmpcRfw</a>

Ormandy was a great conductor, one of the giants of the podium. Nobody’s perfect.  :)

Offline Leo K.

• Veteran member
  • Author of 'False Barnyard'
    • Conceptual Music
    Walton, Nielsen, Bartok, Janacek, Martinu, Dvorak, Shostakovich, Prokofiev
« Reply #3711 on: March 14, 2022, 10:03:32 AM »

Me too this is an amazing sounding performance. Aces!

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
    something between my ears
« Reply #3712 on: March 14, 2022, 11:50:26 AM »

I'm unfamiliar with that one, but Haitink is one of my main Bruckner interpreters. I'll check it out when l get home.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #3713 on: March 14, 2022, 12:01:45 PM »
It’s an excellent version, more volatile than his earlier recording from Amsterdam, if without the latter orchestra’s tightness of ensemble and richly burnished brass sound.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #3714 on: March 14, 2022, 12:08:08 PM »
How does it compare with his digital Philips recording with the VPO?

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #3715 on: March 14, 2022, 01:16:18 PM »
It’s an excellent version, more volatile than his earlier recording from Amsterdam, if without the latter orchestra’s tightness of ensemble and richly burnished brass sound.

Edit: sorry for the confusion, I thought Karl’s post referred to the 1st symphony, which Haitink also recorded with the BRSO  :P

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #3716 on: March 14, 2022, 01:20:13 PM »
How does it compare with his digital Philips recording with the VPO?

Assuming you refer to the 5th symphony, the answer is: go for the BRSO version. The VP recording on Philips is very good, but too plush for my taste. The BR orchestra and the engineers produce a fantastic sonic picture and Haitink has unlocked the gates of Walhalla. The finale (and particularly the coda) is jaw-dropping.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #3717 on: March 14, 2022, 02:11:20 PM »
Assuming you refer to the 5th symphony, the answer is: go for the BRSO version. The VP recording on Philips is very good, but too plush for my taste. The BR orchestra and the engineers produce a fantastic sonic picture and Haitink has unlocked the gates of Walhalla. The finale (and particularly the coda) is jaw-dropping.

Just got home, I'll check it out, thx Andre.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #3718 on: May 14, 2022, 08:30:18 AM »
From Capriccio Records:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rq9GFasC334" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rq9GFasC334</a>

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #3719 on: May 15, 2022, 04:17:46 PM »
This recording of Bruckner's Sixth Symphony came back to my attention today: those TELARC recordings - even without works by Bruckner  8) -  from the good ol' days were usually excellent!