Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

What fool hath added water to the sea?  Dareth an inVader to useth the B-word in Bruckner's Abbey!?!    :o

Fie and a pox on the churlish troll!  (Or should that be trollish churl?  Or maybe just "churly mahn"?)

Boredom is in the ear of the beholder!

All I needed was simply to see the score of a Bruckner symphony, when I was 9 years old, and I knew I was looking at greatness!

Jochum's recording later proved my imagination's ear correct!  Boredom? 

Exactly how are 9 struggles with all the malign and benign powers of the universe boring???

Ah well: many are polled, few are dozin' !
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Israfel the Black on May 06, 2007, 08:02:08 PM
I don't find Celibidache's Bruckner particularly boring at all honestly.

Either do I...my comments to sound67 were made with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Good neighbors, be prepared to embrace a little irony!  8)

david johnson

Quote from: sound67 on May 05, 2007, 11:13:11 AM
But this one isn't:

Bruckner is a bore. If God had wanted Wagner to write symphonies, he would have let him write symphonies.

Prayers that last in excess of 50 minutes are always boring.

...what's this above?  a fool's rant??   :D

chuckle...

dj

karlhenning

Even I, cautious as I can be about certain composers, feel that Bruckner was sorely abused here  8)

Lilas Pastia

At the risk of blasphemy, one could almost quote Isaiah 53 here  0:)

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on May 07, 2007, 06:48:19 AM
Even I, cautious as I can be about certain composers, feel that Bruckner was sorely abused here  8)

You ain't just whistlin' Dittersdorf, Karl!    0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

david johnson

B9 giulini/chicago.  oh, yeeeaaahhhhhh !!!!

dj

JoshLilly

Wagner did write symphonies, at least, both the Wagners I know of.
Richard wrote one and a half, and his son Siegfried wrote at least one.

mahlertitan

Quote from: JoshLilly on May 21, 2007, 11:09:20 AM
Wagner did write symphonies, at least, both the Wagners I know of.
Richard wrote one and a half, and his son Siegfried wrote at least one.

Siegfried's symphonies are.... not very good.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 21, 2007, 12:04:45 PM
Siegfried's symphonies are.... not very good.

Neither are Richard's, just be glad RIchard didn't keep writing symphonies.

AB68

Quote from: david johnson on May 21, 2007, 10:28:43 AM
B9 giulini/chicago.  oh, yeeeaaahhhhhh !!!!

dj

Giulini's 9 with Wiener Philharmoniker is even better.

quintett op.57

Quote from: sound67 on May 05, 2007, 11:13:11 AM
But this one isn't:

Bruckner is a bore. If God had wanted Wagner to write symphonies, he would have let him write symphonies.

Prayers that last in excess of 50 minutes are always boring.
It's not an effort for me to listen to Sy 5 two consecutive times without doing anything else. Gripping!

david johnson

Quote from: AB68 on May 21, 2007, 01:24:53 PM
Giulini's 9 with Wiener Philharmoniker is even better.

gasp...sacrilege ;)  i'll have to check that one out.  when it comes to #9 favorites i stay mostly with this chicago or the late 60s hvk/bpo.

beclemund

Giulini's Chicago recording is still in print in a decent four disk budget package:

"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

beclemund

Giulini's Vienna 8th is available from Arkiv Music... how does it compare to his performance with the Philharmonia Orchestra a year earlier?
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Lilas Pastia

"Anton Bruckner arrives in Heaven".
Bruckner is greeted by (from left to right): Liszt, Wagner, Schubert, Schumann, Weber, Mozart, Beethoven, Gluck, Haydn, Handel, Bach.
(Silhouette drawing by Otto Böhler)

max

Say What! Wagner made it to heaven! His personality must have been more charismatic than anyone who ever lived. I don't think Martin Luther made it there. And what happened to poor Nietzsche! Was he condemned for his Wagner diatribes??

Heather Harrison

With interests as broad as mine, it is inevitable that I will overlook certain composers for a time; Bruckner is in this category.  While I have encountered (and liked) a few of his works in the past, I haven't gotten around to a deeper exploration... at least until now.  The expansive style of late-Romanticism has always appealed to me; for years, I have had a strong interest in Wagner, Mahler, and R. Strauss, and I have recently added Elgar to that list.  Bruckner seemed like a good choice to add to this, so when I saw it in a store, I decided to buy this set of Jochum's classic recordings for DG:

This set contains all of the symphonies except Nos. 0 and 00, which I'll have to find somewhere else (possibly in another set).

I was going to start a thread to talk about my impressions of his symphonies as I listen to them, but I saw this thread and chose to add to it instead.

Yesterday, I listened to Symphony No. 1, and I posted my first impressions in the "Purchases Today" thread.  What I found was a stormy work with great power and energy, punctuated by a nice interlude in the form of a lovely slow movement.  I was especially amazed at the scherzo; seldom have I heard one with such power.  Considering that this is an early work, and not generally considered the best of his output, I will be interested to hear the others.  I am listening to them in order, so I'll be posting something about No. 2 before long.

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of others about No. 1, and about the others as I move on to them.  Also, recommendations for a second Bruckner cycle would be useful; these seem like symphonies that I should have more than one performance of.  Also, perhaps when I'm done with these I will move on to some of his other music.  Any thoughts on his masses?

See...  there are women who like Bruckner!

Heather