Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on October 29, 2007, 12:58:14 PM

I'd have to check where I got that Bernstein link. If it's still in my Outlook I can get it easily here. If it's on my hard disc only that means I 'd have to upload it. Now, that's something entirely different for me: I've never done it before!!

it's actually very simple.
1) go to www.mediafire.com
(create an account if you want to, although you don't have to create an account to upload)
2) upload your file. it takes some time, the speed depends on your internet connection.
3) copy and paste the link it gives you
4) done!

note: if the file(s) added together are less than 100mb, you should seriously consider zipping all the movements up, before upload.

Drasko

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on October 28, 2007, 05:55:17 PM
Of those I wish I could hear are the various Blomstedts and Wands

Gielen / Baden-Baden and Dohnanyi / Cleveland are worth checking out. I have Wand / NDR (RCA '95) if you're interested.

Lilas Pastia

Ben , yeah, all three of them! :D

I still have to warm up to Dohnanyi's Bruckner, but Gielen is tops in 5 and 7 (brisk and sinewy readings, totally different from his vast, expansive 8 )

david johnson

go bongartz!  i'll have to check that stein.

dj

mahlertitan

Anyone here listened to Dohnanyi's Bruckner? Hurwitz gave him high marks, what do you guys think?

MishaK

Quote from: MahlerTitan on November 01, 2007, 03:56:09 PM
Anyone here listened to Dohnanyi's Bruckner? Hurwitz gave him high marks, what do you guys think?

I will hear him do the 4th live with the CSO on Saturday. Will report.

david johnson

i did not enjoy it.

dj

Cato

If I am not mixing up my conductors, about 10 years ago I had the opportunity to hear the Cleveland Orchestra live under Dohnanyi in the Bruckner Fifth Symphony and was most impressed with everything!

I was prepared to quibble greatly, since this is probably one of the trickiest symphonies to perform satisfactorily, but any quibbling dribbled away quickly!    $:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Lilas Pastia

Interesting discussion in the Melodya Madness thread about various orchestral sound cultures in Bruckner. Obviously this centered around Melodia issues (Mrawinsky's in particular).

John Berky is making available downloads from his private collection and features them as RECORDING OF THE MONTH on his web site. And guess what? For his first offering, he gives us the 4th symphony in a Melodya issue from 1978: Emil Tchakarov conducting the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra. ;D

And I'll be eagerly listening! :D

Lethevich

Hmm, that's an amazingly good thing for him to do - although it's totally unneccessary that he pays for the bandwidth (I imagine after a while the series will become rather popular) with so many free hosts around, hehe...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on November 02, 2007, 05:42:16 AM
Interesting discussion in the Melodya Madness thread about various orchestral sound cultures in Bruckner. Obviously this centered around Melodia issues (Mrawinsky's in particular).

John Berky is making available downloads from his private collection and features them as RECORDING OF THE MONTH on his web site. And guess what? For his first offering, he gives us the 4th symphony in a Melodya issue from 1978: Emil Tchakarov conducting the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra. ;D

And I'll be eagerly listening! :D

Berky is da man! I downloaded the recording weeks ago, it sounds fantastic! Maybe we should invite him to the forum? There is much we can learn from the Man.

Oh, btw, i recently acquired a broadcast of Nagano's Bruckner's 6th symphony with DSOB, it's actually a different performance from the harmonia mundi release, i'll upload it if anyone is interested.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Lethe on November 02, 2007, 05:57:08 AM
Hmm, that's an amazingly good thing for him to do - although it's totally unneccessary that he pays for the bandwidth (I imagine after a while the series will become rather popular) with so many free hosts around, hehe...

I advised him to upload everything on Mediafire.com, but he believed that they(files) won't stay up very long ???.

Keemun

Quote from: MahlerTitan on November 02, 2007, 09:35:38 AM
Oh, btw, i recently acquired a broadcast of Nagano's Bruckner's 6th symphony with DSOB, it's actually a different performance from the harmonia mundi release, i'll upload it if anyone is interested.

How is the performance?  If it's good, I'm interested.   :)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

George

Quote from: MahlerTitan on November 02, 2007, 09:38:35 AM
I advised him to upload everything on Mediafire.com, but he believed that they(files) won't stay up very long ???.

That's not true, they stay up "indefinitely" according to Mediafire. I've had some stuff up over 3 months and they still download.

mahlertitan

Quote from: George on November 02, 2007, 08:13:30 PM
That's not true, they stay up "indefinitely" according to Mediafire. I've had some stuff up over 3 months and they still download.

exactly, but, i doubt that he'll listen to my advice.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Keemun on November 02, 2007, 10:40:42 AM
How is the performance?  If it's good, I'm interested.   :)

It's Kent Nagano, what do you think?  ???

Lilas Pastia

Nagano's 8th is surprisingly decent (a Deutsche Welle broadcast with his Berlin orchestra) . But that's the only Bruckner I ever heard him do that had any interest (the others are 3, 6 on disc and 9 live). He should stay away from Bruckner.

Keemun

Quote from: MahlerTitan on November 03, 2007, 08:18:41 PM
It's Kent Nagano, what do you think?  ???

Actually, I don't know what to think.  I've only heard his Bruckner 8 referenced above, and it was a while back.  I remember it sounding kind of odd.  Are you implying that it his Bruckner 6 is not any good?   ???
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven