Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahlertitan

Quote from: Keemun on November 04, 2007, 07:01:09 AM
Actually, I don't know what to think.  I've only heard his Bruckner 8 referenced above, and it was a while back.  I remember it sounding kind of odd.  Are you implying that it his Bruckner 6 is not any good?   ???

I am implying that getting Nagano's 6th is a no-brainer. I haven't heard his 8th (the broadcast?) and 3rd, but you should pay attention to his 6th. He is probably one of the better Bruckner conductors out there, but, then that's just my opinion, you don't have to listen to me.

I have never heard his Harmonia Mundi release of the 6th, but the broadcast recording that i found is around the same period, so i don't suppose there is huge difference between the two.

Keemun

Quote from: MahlerTitan on November 04, 2007, 07:37:45 AM
I am implying that getting Nagano's 6th is a no-brainer. I haven't heard his 8th (the broadcast?) and 3rd, but you should pay attention to his 6th. He is probably one of the better Bruckner conductors out there, but, then that's just my opinion, you don't have to listen to me.

I have never heard his Harmonia Mundi release of the 6th, but the broadcast recording that i found is around the same period, so i don't suppose there is huge difference between the two.

Ah, thank you for the explanation.  I'm interested in listening to it if you would be so kind as to upload it for us.   ;D
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

mahlertitan

Quote from: Keemun on November 04, 2007, 04:31:32 PM
Ah, thank you for the explanation.  I'm interested in listening to it if you would be so kind as to upload it for us.   ;D

sure, i'll upload it soon.

MishaK

Quote from: O Mensch on November 01, 2007, 05:58:59 PM
I will hear him do the 4th live with the CSO on Saturday. Will report.

My thoughts on Dohnanyi's Bruckner 4 with the CSO here.

bhodges

Quote from: O Mensch on November 05, 2007, 06:51:13 AM
My thoughts on Dohnanyi's Bruckner 4 with the CSO here.

Nice write-up, Mensch!  :D  I like Dohnányi a lot--he just did a sensational Beethoven 5 here last week--but I don't think I've heard him do that Bruckner 4.  Your comments on his attention to inner details are similar to what I experienced, too.  And reminds me that I haven't heard any live Bruckner in quite awhile.

--Bruce

MishaK

bhodges

I've heard two glorious Fifths in the last few years--first by Sawallisch making his return with Philadelphia, and then with Welser-Möst and Cleveland.  Muti doing the Sixth should be excellent, and I'm excited by what Maazel might make of the Eighth.  But yes, the season seems to be a little on the dry side, Bruckner-wise.  :'(

--Bruce

toledobass

The 'little orchestra that could' will be doing the 9th this season:

Toeldo Symphony at Rosary Cathedral

Allan

bhodges

Quote from: toledobass on November 05, 2007, 09:17:04 AM

Toeldo Symphony at Rosary Cathedral

Allan

You must be thrilled!   :D  Is that cathedral a "plus," acoustically, for this piece?  Sounds like it could be...

--Bruce

Cato

Quote from: toledobass on November 05, 2007, 09:17:04 AM

Toledo Symphony at Rosary Cathedral

Allan

And even though our big-city folks might not think it, I have followed the Toledo Symphony's "Bruckner in the Cathedral" series from its inception, and they have done spendidly so far!

Acoustically, yes, the other-worldly echoing is enormous at times, although it helps to sit up front to get the full impact of the full orchestra.

Last season's Eighth Symphony was another triumph: even my non-classical-music-loving-mathematician-twenty-something son was impressed!   :o

If you have the money, it is worth flying in to hear: you can also stay and spend a day at the Toledo Museum of Art, one of the top 10 museums in the country, with several Rembrandt's, El Greco's, etc. etc. etc. not to mention the mighty Athanor by Anselm Kiefer.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

toledobass

Quote from: bhodges on November 05, 2007, 09:20:04 AM
You must be thrilled!   :D  Is that cathedral a "plus," acoustically, for this piece?  Sounds like it could be...

--Bruce

It's very much a plus acoustically and visually.  There is some amazing stained glass in there.  It's the exact opposite of our usual hall so it never 'feels' right but when I review the recordings the effect is glorious. I know Stefan looked all around the city before programming the annual Bruckner offering at Rosary. Apart from having to listen to all of the grumpy musicians complaining about having to play Bruckner,  the only bummer is that the orginal program also included Messaien's L'ascension.  That is a hell of a piece and one that I wish I would have had the opportunity to play.

Allan

MishaK

Quote from: Cato on November 05, 2007, 09:25:31 AM
Acoustically, yes, the other-worldly echoing is enormous at times, although it helps to sit up front to get the full impact of the full orchestra.

That reminds me of one of the mid-90s BPO European Concerts where Barenboim was conducting at the Basilica of El Escorial. At one point after the final chord Barenboim looks at the ceiling in puzzlement for what seems like several seconds, waiting for the echo to subside.

Keemun

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

mahlertitan

is Keilberth's Bruckner 6th with BP out of print or something? I can't find it anywhere!

Cato

Quote from: MahlerTitan on November 06, 2007, 10:12:31 AM
is Keilberth's Bruckner 6th with BP out of print or something? I can't find it anywhere!

Joseph Keilberth had a slam-dunk performance of Hindemith's opera Cardillac on DGG with Fischer-Dieskau in the title role.

This is now available for $10. or so on the Opera d'Oro label.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Drasko

Quote from: MahlerTitan on November 06, 2007, 10:12:31 AM

Yes, it's out of print, same as his 9th with Hamburg State Orchestra, both last seen on Japanese Teldec.

His Köln 8th is just being released though

mahlertitan

Quote from: Drasko on November 06, 2007, 10:53:29 AM
Yes, it's out of print, same as his 9th with Hamburg State Orchestra, both last seen on Japanese Teldec.

His Köln 8th is just being released though

yeah, the other day I was listening Keiberth's 6th BP in the university library. I liked it very much and would like to buy it, but i can't find it anywhere! I figured it's probably out of print....

Oh, I "sampled" the 8th, but I didn't like the sound, so I chose Kubelik's 8th instead.

marvinbrown

Hello Bruckner fans, I disappeared for a while after I acquired my complete Bruckner Symphony set (Jochum-on DG).  I wanted to spend some time getting to know these symphonies well before I reported back.  I heard the complete symphony cycle once, put it aside and came back to it a few weeks later and relistened to all of them once again.  I am now on my 3rd time.  I am stunned at the sound that man creates, his symphonies appear to be composed of "blocks" of emotionally filled musical expressions that sweep the listener away.  My most favorite symphony of them all so far is the 5th, the adagio of the 5th symphony is to die for.  I kept replaying that adagio over and over again.  The 7th was my next favorite symphony- I like the contrast in style represented here- it has beautiful spiritual moments and playful moments as well. On the other hand I ran into a problem with the 9th,  couldn't quite grasp what Bruckner was trying to "represent" with that sudden eruption of horns or trumpets midway through the symphony, somebody please correct me here. I am going to have to revisit the 9th again.  Symphonies 3 "dedicated to Wagner" and 4 "romantic" also had breathtaking music.  Symphonies 1 and 2 were not as captivating on 2nd hearing as the rest, and I think at this point  I prefer the "Nullte" over the 1st symphony. I am not sure how many of you would agree with me on this one.

Anyway just wanted to report back as I am a relative newbie to this composer and I am sure my appreciation of his works will grow in time.

marvin   

mahlertitan

Quote from: marvinbrown on November 06, 2007, 01:50:57 PM
  Hello Bruckner fans, I disappeared for a while after I acquired my complete Bruckner Symphony set (Jochum-on DG).  I wanted to spend some time getting to know these symphonies well before I reported back.  I heard the complete symphony cycle once, put it aside and came back to it a few weeks later and relistened to all of them once again.  I am now on my 3rd time.  I am stunned at the sound that man creates, his symphonies appear to be composed of "blocks" of emotionally filled musical expressions that sweep the listener away.  My most favorite symphony of them all so far is the 5th, the adagio of the 5th symphony is to die for.  I kept replaying that adagio over and over again.  The 7th was my next favorite symphony- I like the contrast in style represented here- it has beautiful spiritual moments and playful moments as well. On the other hand I ran into a problem with the 9th,  couldn't quite grasp what Bruckner was trying to "represent" with that sudden eruption of horns or trumpets midway through the symphony, somebody please correct me here. I am going to have to revisit the 9th again.  Symphonies 3 "dedicated to Wagner" and 4 "romantic" also had breathtaking music.  Symphonies 1 and 2 were not as captivating on 2nd hearing as the rest, and I think at this point  I prefer the "Nullte" over the 1st symphony. I am not sure how many of you would agree with me on this one.

Anyway just wanted to report back as I am a relative newbie to this composer and I am sure my appreciation of his works will grow in time.

marvin   

good for you! You can't go wrong with Jochum, but personally I prefer the EMI cycle. I mean, you really haven't heard the 9th until you have listened to the one on EMI.

You troubles with the 9th may have something to do with the recording, i didn't like the overall recording quality of the DG cycle. I would suggest that for the symphonies that you did not enjoy, try other alternatives.

There are the important 9ths that everyone should have.

Giulini's 9th with WP - absolutely amazing performance, perfection in just about every category. Words are powerless to describe this performance, because you need to hear it in order to feel its power.

J.Wildner's 9th on Naxos. This performance is "special" in that it actually has the newest (at the time) completion of the 4th movemnet of the 9th. So, finally you can hear the conclusion of the 9th the way Bruckner intended.

Eugen Jochum's 9th on EMI.