Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Cato

Quote from: André on September 20, 2019, 03:53:39 PM
It's an idea floated - and carried - by Schoenberg & Co. almost 100 years ago. It has been recorded at least twice (I have it by the Thomas Christian Ensemble and the Linos Ensemble). This new arrangement is scored differently, using the instruments of the full score but in a one-to-a-part kind of thing. I don't know how that works. A friend of mine has downloaded it and is burning it on cdr. I'll ask him a copy.

Concerning Arnold Schoenberg's idea for the creation of a smaller score:

Despite the grandiloquence of form and orchestral concept, the supreme organization of its creative thinking makes the Brucknerian symphonies perfectly suited to what is called "instrumental reduction". Schoenberg was the first to realize this, in relation to not only Bruckner's music but also that of Mahler and Debussy, among others. Specifically for Bruckner's Symphony No.7, Schoenberg instructed his students Hanns Eisler, Erwin Stein and Karl Rankl, to prepare an instrumental reduction of the symphony, planned at the time for a very modestly sized ensemble of only two violins, viola, violoncello, double bass, clarinet, French horn, 4-hands piano and harmonium. Intended, like so many other arrangements at this time, for the Society for Private Musical Performances (Verein für musikalische Privataufführungen), which Schoenberg founded in Vienna in the 1920s, it was actually never performed then but finally premiered only more than 60 years later.

Inspired by Schoenberg's concept, Luís Carvalho created in 2018-2019 a new version of the Seventh for ensemble. Scored for a group of about fifteen players, unlike the "Schoenbergian" version Carvalho tries to simulate a miniature orchestra by including all the chief instrumental families of the typical Brucknerian symphony orchestra. Thus, a more compact instrumental version of the work is sought while still trying to retain some of its original grandeur. At the same time, a certain refreshing of timbre is pursued by the inclusion of less usual instruments such as the euphonium, the flugelhorn and the accordion (which can be replaced by a harmonium, a closer option to the Schoenbergian arrangements).

The perspective in this new arrangement is always that the listener's musical enjoyment will be equally rewarding when compared to the original symphonic version. After all, it still is some of the best music the Romantic era has produced!

And something else of interest....

Courtesy of a Bruckner fan in Greece:

https://www.youtube.com/v/MwySoONIOk0

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

For an Oktoberfest celebration!

The program features J.S. Bach's great motet "Jesu meine freude," Johannes Brahms' "Zigeunerlieder" (Gypsy Songs), motets by Anton Bruckner and drinking songs found in the Beer Choir Hymnal....

"Classical music especially is too often stereotyped as being stuffy and unapproachable, and it shouldn't be!" Taylor said in a statement. "We are making this concert into an event befit its title."

Hmmm!  That last part seems a little off grammatically.   ;)

https://www.postandcourier.com/features/taylor-festival-choir-celebrates-oktoberfest-in-charleston-and-beaufort-with/article_db9a8ff2-dfb9-11e9-9f9b-97d8f6ebe5b9.html

Cato

For an Oktoberfest celebration!

QuoteThe program features J.S. Bach's great motet "Jesu meine freude," Johannes Brahms' "Zigeunerlieder" (Gypsy Songs), motets by Anton Bruckner and drinking songs found in the Beer Choir Hymnal....

"Classical music especially is too often stereotyped as being stuffy and unapproachable, and it shouldn't be!" Taylor said in a statement. "We are making this concert into an event befit its title."

https://www.postandcourier.com/features/taylor-festival-choir-celebrates-oktoberfest-in-charleston-and-beaufort-with/article_db9a8ff2-dfb9-11e9-9f9b-97d8f6ebe5b9.h

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 06, 2019, 04:31:25 AM
Sounds like a good time. Not so far from me, either.

If you attend, please write a review for us!   8)

mjmosca

I have been collecting recordings of the Symphony #5 for a long time, I think that I have about 12 at present. The most recent purchase has come as a great surprise, though I had read that Lovro Von Matacic had excellent recordings of Bruckner. His recording of the Symphony number 5 with the Orchestre National de France on Naive lable is a splendid achievement- the last movement, builds to a most magnificent realization- perfectly timed [in my opinion]. It is now my go to recording. Anyone else familiar with this recording? thank you.

vandermolen

I'm currently greatly enjoying this monumental and granitic recorded performance of Symphony 5:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: vandermolen on October 12, 2019, 09:01:10 AM
I'm currently greatly enjoying this monumental and granitic recorded performance of Symphony 5:

A truly indispensable set.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on October 12, 2019, 09:07:00 AM
A truly indispensable set.
Glad you think so André. He and Haitink are both great Bruckner conductors from the Netherlands.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Cato

Quote from: mjmosca on October 12, 2019, 04:47:56 AM
I have been collecting recordings of the Symphony #5 for a long time, I think that I have about 12 at present. The most recent purchase has come as a great surprise, though I had read that Lovro Von Matacic had excellent recordings of Bruckner. His recording of the Symphony number 5 with the Orchestre National de France on Naive lable is a splendid achievement- the last movement, builds to a most magnificent realization- perfectly timed [in my opinion]. It is now my go to recording. Anyone else familiar with this recording? thank you.

Greetings!  Sorry, no, I have never heard of this, but will investigate!

Quote from: vandermolen on October 12, 2019, 09:01:10 AM

I'm currently greatly enjoying (Van Beinum's)  monumental and granitic recorded performance of Symphony 5:

When I was discovering Classical Music in grade school, a good number of Van Beinum records were in circulation: since he died right around the beginning of the stereo era, they were undoubtedly swamped by newer versions in stereo.  Many thanks for reminding us of this recording!

https://www.youtube.com/v/ghW8AWt6Vmw

Cato

Okay, is it just me, or is Die Nullte popping up more and more these days?  0:)

From a Bruckner Facebook page:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Fj_VwS7jGz4&feature=youtu.be

relm1

I had the wonderful experience of hearing Bruckner's No. 4 live yesterday by the LA Phil/Dudamel.  It was a superb performance (well except for the damn cell phone that went off in my section and received searing stares from members of the orchestra before they recomposed themselves.  Disney Hall is a very bright hall where all sounds are carried, not just the stage.  Aside from that, a phenomenal performance with exquisite attention to detail, precision, and dramatic propulsive energy.  Fantastically performed especially by the brass but seriously all played their hearts out.

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on November 04, 2019, 04:10:59 PM
I had the wonderful experience of hearing Bruckner's No. 4 live yesterday by the LA Phil/Dudamel.  It was a superb performance (well except for the damn cell phone that went off in my section and received searing stares from members of the orchestra before they recomposed themselves.  Disney Hall is a very bright hall where all sounds are carried, not just the stage.  Aside from that, a phenomenal performance with exquisite attention to detail, precision, and dramatic propulsive energy.  Fantastically performed especially by the brass but seriously all played their hearts out.

It royally pisses me off that people can't put down their damn cell phones for three seconds to watch one of the great orchestras perform. I mean if someone pays money to see them, it means you want to see them perform the music and nothing else --- that's it! I know for some folks going to the concert hall is just a social thing and they really have no interest in it, but to those that are there for the music, I can't think of a greater offense than a cell phone ringing.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 04, 2019, 04:16:04 PM
It royally pisses me off that people can't put down their damn cell phones for three seconds to watch one of the great orchestras perform. I mean if someone pays money to see them, it means you want to see them perform the music and nothing else --- that's it! I know for some folks going to the concert hall is just a social thing and they really have no interest in it, but to those that are there for the music, I can't think of a greater offense than a cell phone ringing.

I don't think they couldn't put down their damn cell phone for three seconds, just some old person who hasn't mastered their technology never turned the ringer off though instructed to.  Whenever I take my elderly mom to the concert, I have to manage this for her otherwise she'll have no idea how to do it.  It was one of those sort of things.  It's annoying and all, but orchestra members really should fake their disgust.  This is the freaking orchestra that played through an earthquake without it interrupting a performance, they do have that will power and concentration level in their control.  The cell phone should be more annoying to the audience than the orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAPxOMp0rL0

vandermolen

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2019, 11:31:58 PM
Interesting looking new release:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Nov/Bruckner_sys_4840204.htm

Also in the works: A set of ALL Bruckner Symphonies in ALL versions. Every note. Every version. Every alternative finale. Bruckner Orchestra Linz and RSO Vienna under Poschner. Probably to appear on Capriccio before the anniversary in 2024.

Daverz

aukhawk

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 07, 2019, 12:56:50 AM
Also in the works: A set of ALL Bruckner Symphonies in ALL versions. Every note. Every version. Every alternative finale. Bruckner Orchestra Linz and RSO Vienna under Poschner. Probably to appear on Capriccio before the anniversary in 2024.

Bruckner the obsessive would have approved.

calyptorhynchus

Oh dear, I'll have to get it for one track I need to hear: the first version of the Scherzo of the First (only heard a small ensemble version).
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 04, 2019, 04:16:04 PM

The entire planet it seems has become addicted to those machines, which the previous Catholic bishop of my diocese compared to Ba'al or The Golden Calf, a new false god for our addled age.

Quote from: relm1 on November 04, 2019, 04:10:59 PM

Glad to hear it was a great performance!

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 07, 2019, 12:56:50 AM

Quote from: aukhawk on November 07, 2019, 03:03:46 AM
Bruckner the obsessive would have approved.

Indeed!   ;)   But will it include the "Performing Version" of the 9th's Finale by SMC or anybody else?

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on November 07, 2019, 03:02:19 AM
Good deal if you don't have the Böhm, Stein, and Mehta recordings.

I only have the Mehta version of Np.9 and don't own any of the others.