Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahlerian

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 20, 2020, 01:57:41 PM
@André, you are so right, my friend, about this Morris/Symphonica recording. Outstanding. He makes this minor work of Bruckner's sound like seriously important music, and I think the slower tempo is a big part of that. Yet it doesn't sound slow at all. It has a big, fast momentum to it. It's going to be weird going back to the Barenboim now, as I can't imagine this working much faster than here.

Beyond Barenboim and Morris, has anyone else even recorded Helgoland?

This is the discography I could find (linked to on Abruckner.com):

http://www.abruckner.com/vocal_instrumental_music/php/index.php@pag=228.htm
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mahlerian on June 20, 2020, 04:23:21 PM
This is the discography I could find (linked to on Abruckner.com):

http://www.abruckner.com/vocal_instrumental_music/php/index.php@pag=228.htm

Thanks. Interesting that the Morris is far and away the slowest. It sounds quite natural at that pace.

vers la flamme

Wow, the Bongartz/Leipzig 6th is incredible!! This is easily one of the greatest Bruckner recordings I've ever heard... I love the crushing brass and the razor sharp strings of the first movement, and the soft, moving lyricism of the slow movement. I never even really liked this symphony all that much, but Bongartz has shown me the light!

Would anyone care to recommend me more Bruckner recordings in this vein? I must hear more... Furthermore, are there any other Bruckner recordings in the Klassic Haus catalog worthy of a listen? I'm thoroughly impressed with the sound...:

http://klassichaus.us/Bruckner%3A-Select-Recordings.php

André

Glad you enjoyed both recordings, Vers la flamme! True, after Morris it's hard to settle for a fast Helgoland. The opening choir and orchestra salvo has the theme of the rolling waves going from crest to hollow in thrilling fashion. If played fast the physical effect of plunging and cresting is severely diminished.

Another great 6th is Keilberth's with the BP. Glorious brass and strings. More imposing if less passionate than Bongartz. Both are mandatory listening IMO.

Daverz

I'm late to this Bongartz party.  Is it the same as the recording in this box?

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7991899--gewandhausorchester-leipzig-legendary-masterworks-recordings
https://www.amazon.com/Leipzig-Gewandhaus-Orchestra-Masterworks-Recordings/dp/B003UBOU4I

There are some other interesting things in the box, like a Konwitschny Scotch Symphony (haha) and a Markevitch Pictures.  And how can one not be curious about East German Gershwin?

André

Yes, it's the same version. In East Germany, after the death of Konwitschny, the top recording spots were held by Suitner, Kegel and Masur. Bongartz and Rögner didn't have the same exposure despite their superb music making. One of my fave Mahler 6 is by Bongartz.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Daverz on June 22, 2020, 12:57:00 AM
I'm late to this Bongartz party.  Is it the same as the recording in this box?

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7991899--gewandhausorchester-leipzig-legendary-masterworks-recordings
https://www.amazon.com/Leipzig-Gewandhaus-Orchestra-Masterworks-Recordings/dp/B003UBOU4I

There are some other interesting things in the box, like a Konwitschny Scotch Symphony (haha) and a Markevitch Pictures.  And how can one not be curious about East German Gershwin?

From memory - East German Gershwin is very good indeed!  I've collected all kinds of repertoire on the old Berlin Classics label and they are all very fine indeed.  I love the sound of the East German orchestras which I guess was somehow 'preserved' post War by little interaction with the West.  Also, the players would be drawn from a very similar pool of playing/technique so there is a very coherent sound.

Daverz

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 22, 2020, 11:00:09 AM
From memory - East German Gershwin is very good indeed!  I've collected all kinds of repertoire on the old Berlin Classics label and they are all very fine indeed.  I love the sound of the East German orchestras which I guess was somehow 'preserved' post War by little interaction with the West.  Also, the players would be drawn from a very similar pool of playing/technique so there is a very coherent sound.

On the other, I also enjoy the sometimes rather rough playing of the Leipzig Radio Orchestra in the exciting Bruckner recordings that Kegel did. 

André

Direct to disc LP recording of the 7th, Haitink's last appearance with the BP. I recommend watching this video. It's about the object itself, not the performance. ABruckner.com sells it at the special price of 195$ US  :o.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpj1ucFMf34&feature=youtu.be

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on July 10, 2020, 04:38:45 PM
Direct to disc LP recording of the 7th, Haitink's last appearance with the BP. I recommend watching this video. It's about the object itself, not the performance. ABruckner.com sells it at the special price of 195$ US  :o.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpj1ucFMf34&feature=youtu.be

Ouch! :-\ That's quite a hefty price tag for one performance.

Cato

Via a discussion elsewhere: do you "obsess" over any of the symphonies?  i.e.  Do you find yourself listening to a specific symphony (or another work, e.g. Os Iusti ) again and again?

I will admit that I have done this throughout the decades.  ;)

For many years, I will also admit that the Fifth Symphony was not necessarily a first choice.  However, about twenty years ago I heard it in Cleveland with Christoph von Dohnanyi conducting, and I was marveling at why I had ranked the symphony lower!

Right now, I have spent several days listening to it, the legendary Eugen Jochum, Concertgebouw performance from the 1980's.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

MusicTurner

Quote from: Cato on October 04, 2020, 05:22:40 AM
Via a discussion elsewhere: do you "obsess" over any of the symphonies?  i.e.  Do you find yourself listening to a specific symphony (or another work, e.g. Os Iusti ) again and again?

... ... ...

Yes, especially regarding the 9th (at first, mainly Jochum on DG), the 8th (afterwards, for many years, especially Haitinks first DDD recording), and then the 4th ... (several recordings), nowadays the symphonies are more equal to me. But actually, to me, the 9th is the most modern sounding and perhaps complex of the bunch.

Cato

Quote from: MusicTurner on October 04, 2020, 11:46:09 AM
Yes, especially regarding the 9th (at first, especially Jochum on DG), the 8th (afterwards, for many years, especially Haitinks first DDD recording), and then the 4th ... (several recordings), nowadays the symphonies are more equal to me. But actually, to me, the 9th is the most modern sounding and perhaps complex of the bunch.

True, although the 8th has some very curious pages, especially in the First Movement and the Scherzo. 

And yes again to Jochum's Ninth on DGG!  I am also partial to Simon Rattle's Ninth with the completed Finale.

Daverz

Quote from: Cato on October 04, 2020, 05:22:40 AM

For many years, I will also admit that the Fifth Symphony was not necessarily a first choice.  However, about twenty years ago I heard it in Cleveland with Christoph von Dohnanyi conducting, and I was marveling at why I had ranked the symphony lower!

Right now, I have spent several days listening to it, the legendary Eugen Jochum, Concertgebouw performance from the 1980's.

You probably know that Dohnanyi recorded the 5th in Cleveland for Decca, a fantastic performance:

[asin]B00000E4X1[/asin]

Cato

Quote from: Daverz on October 04, 2020, 01:27:15 PM
You probably know that Dohnanyi recorded the 5th in Cleveland for Decca, a fantastic performance:

[asin]B00000E4X1[/asin]

Yes!  Fantastic performance indeed!  Possibly recorded around the time when I attended that concert.

I believe the opener was the Penderecki Viola Concerto, which did not leave much of an impression.   But, as I mentioned above, after listening to that performance in the second half of the concert, the Fifth Symphony rose greatly in my estimation!

Brahmsian

A couple of delightful Christmas gifts!

This one from my girlfriend :

Gerd Schaller's complete recordings of Bruckner's symphonies (spun the 6th symphony as the first test. Quite a strong performance).

The other was a gift from myself:

William Carragan's new book:  Anton Bruckner.  The Eleven Symphonies. Purchased through the Bruckner Society of America.

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 27, 2020, 07:30:08 AM
The other was a gift from myself:

William Carragan's new book:  Anton Bruckner.  The Eleven Symphonies. Purchased through the Bruckner Society of America.

Has anyone else ordered this book or have it? I haven't yet opened it.

Daverz

Quote from: OrchestralNut on December 28, 2020, 06:12:32 AM
Has anyone else ordered this book or have it? I haven't yet opened it.

Yes, I have it.  An interesting feature are the QR codes that will play back musical samples on your phone.  I was going to use those and the bluetooth receiver in my headphone amp/DAC to listen to these.  Haven't set aside the time yet.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Daverz on December 28, 2020, 05:09:25 PM
Yes, I have it.  An interesting feature are the QR codes that will play back musical samples on your phone.

Yes, I noticed this as well!

Cato

In various places I have noticed an increase in interest in the Symphony #1, which I have always found a wonderful work.  Some reviewers and Brucknerians throughout the years have sniffed at it somewhat, which I have never understood.  Eugen Jochum's DGG recording brings out the energy and ebullience in the work.

Anyway, this CD came out about a year ago.

I am not sure whether it is a newer performance, or a re-issue from 2012, which also offered the Symphonies II and III.

See also:

https://www.abruckner.com/store/abrucknercomexclus/exclusiveandhardto/symphony-no-1-vienna-version-of-1891-gerd-schaller/