Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: OrchestralNut on January 24, 2022, 07:39:55 AM

For the 5th, I am quite partial to Jochum (either Staatskapelle Dresden or Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks).

There is also the famous Concertgebouw performance from the 1980's: one of Saint  0:)   Eugen Jochum's    8)  last concerts.

https://www.youtube.com/v/eFFnjWW8jwo
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 24, 2022, 05:42:56 AM
Anton Bruckner
Symphony 5
Georg Tintner
RSNO

First run at a couple of days of #5. Any loved recs of relatively modern recordings appreciated. I make no apology for my advocacy of Tintner, and I also want to continue to hear Chailly and Inbal, but keen to hear your thoughts.

I dig (among others) Haitink with the Bavarian Radio Symphony
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

foxandpeng

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 27, 2022, 06:51:47 AM

Thanks, Karl. This will probably be this evening's final run at #5 before I move on to #6. I'll listen with interest (once I've heard the new DSCH SQ release from Novus Qt)!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

André

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 27, 2022, 11:21:02 AM
Thanks, Karl. This will probably be this evening's final run at #5 before I move on to #6. I'll listen with interest (once I've heard the new DSCH SQ release from Novus Qt)!

It's one of the truly great performances of the 5th.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 24, 2022, 05:42:56 AM
Any loved recs of relatively modern recordings appreciated.

Somewhat to my surprise, I really like the Ormandy version, which I have on an old Columbia LP issue. Rather swift and dramatic performance (not a stereotypical Brucknerian "cathedral in sound").
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Linz

The Ormandy recording of the 5th turned me right off the fifth for quite a while

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Linz on March 12, 2022, 11:39:37 AM
The Ormandy recording of the 5th turned me right off the fifth for quite a while

Why?

For what it's worth, Solti/CSO was my intro to the 5th. As you might expect, it should be renamed Concerto for Brass Band & Orchestra, but it didn't put me off the piece itself.

Quote from: ultralinear on March 12, 2022, 07:09:14 AM
Over on BBC Radio 3 Tom Service spends quite an interesting half-hour debunking some of the more pernicious (and persistent) myths surrounding Bruckner's music.

Thanks for posting that - very enjoyable.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

André

Ormandy's Bruckner is not intrinsically bad, but the constant legato, rather quick tempi and reluctance to observe real pauses make the music sound...oily. The fifth is probably Bruckner's most 'blocky' structure. Its execution should emphasize big dynamic contrasts, raspy winds/brass tones and respect the silences between paragraphs. In that respect the exact opposite of Ormandy's 5th is the Klemperer version(s).

Cato

Quote from: André on March 12, 2022, 03:24:22 PM
Ormandy's Bruckner is not intrinsically bad, but the constant legato, rather quick tempi and reluctance to observe real pauses make the music sound...oily. The fifth is probably Bruckner's most 'blocky' structure. Its execution should emphasize big dynamic contrasts, raspy winds/brass tones and respect the silences between paragraphs. In that respect the exact opposite of Ormandy's 5th is the Klemperer version(s).

Quote from: Linz on March 12, 2022, 11:39:37 AM

Thanks for the reviews!  I will see if I can find it.  Ormandy usually did so well with things like the Mahler Second Symphony and Rachmaninov.

Quote from: ultralinear on March 12, 2022, 07:09:14 AM

Over on BBC Radio 3 Tom Service spends quite an interesting half-hour debunking some of the more pernicious (and persistent) myths surrounding Bruckner's music.

Not sure how accessible this is to users outside the UK, but I think it should be possible - it might be necessary to set up a (free) account perhaps. :-\

Many thanks for the link!

And allow me to offer this as Lenten Music:

https://www.youtube.com/v/ov-OAmpcRfw

André

Quote from: Cato on March 13, 2022, 02:11:48 PM
Thanks for the reviews!  I will see if I can find it.  Ormandy usually did so well with things like the Mahler Second Symphony and Rachmaninov.

Many thanks for the link!

And allow me to offer this as Lenten Music:

https://www.youtube.com/v/ov-OAmpcRfw

Ormandy was a great conductor, one of the giants of the podium. Nobody's perfect.  :)

Leo K.

Me too this is an amazing sounding performance. Aces!

LKB

I'm unfamiliar with that one, but Haitink is one of my main Bruckner interpreters. I'll check it out when l get home.  8)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

André

It's an excellent version, more volatile than his earlier recording from Amsterdam, if without the latter orchestra's tightness of ensemble and richly burnished brass sound.

LKB

How does it compare with his digital Philips recording with the VPO?

André

Quote from: André on March 14, 2022, 12:01:45 PM
It's an excellent version, more volatile than his earlier recording from Amsterdam, if without the latter orchestra's tightness of ensemble and richly burnished brass sound.

Edit: sorry for the confusion, I thought Karl's post referred to the 1st symphony, which Haitink also recorded with the BRSO  :P

André

Quote from: LKB on March 14, 2022, 12:08:08 PM
How does it compare with his digital Philips recording with the VPO?

Assuming you refer to the 5th symphony, the answer is: go for the BRSO version. The VP recording on Philips is very good, but too plush for my taste. The BR orchestra and the engineers produce a fantastic sonic picture and Haitink has unlocked the gates of Walhalla. The finale (and particularly the coda) is jaw-dropping.

LKB

Quote from: André on March 14, 2022, 01:20:13 PM
Assuming you refer to the 5th symphony, the answer is: go for the BRSO version. The VP recording on Philips is very good, but too plush for my taste. The BR orchestra and the engineers produce a fantastic sonic picture and Haitink has unlocked the gates of Walhalla. The finale (and particularly the coda) is jaw-dropping.

Just got home, I'll check it out, thx Andre.

Cato

Cato

This recording of Bruckner's Sixth Symphony came back to my attention today: those TELARC recordings - even without works by Bruckner  8) -  from the good ol' days were usually excellent!

Jo498

I listened to 4 recording of Bruckner's 5th, Schuricht, Klemperer, Skrowaczewski, Harnoncourt. I had probably listened only once to the last one when I got it and similarly for the Schuricht (I had hunted down for a while as it was the relatively rare Vienna live recording). The Schuricht is good in decent mono sound but not quite as intense as I expected from such a "legendary" recording. Both Klemperer and Skro are comparably "cool". I sometimes tend to find the brass overwhelming in Bruckner but Skro almost errs in the opposite direction with rather "discreet", well integrated brass. The outbursts in the intro to the first mvmt are not explosive enoug, I was a bit disappointed, had had this in better recollection.
Klemp's is not as good as his 4th and 6th, I think, a bit too slow and stately but still impressive.
I was very impressed by Harnoncourt's. Not sure if I ever listened properly to this. This was by some margin the most convincing and dramatic of them (even before Schuricht). NH seems also the only one to "get" the Austrian rustic touch in some passages of the (very fast) scherzo and also in subsidiary themes in the other movements. It's the best post-Beethoven Harnoncourt I remember hearing (admittedly, I have not heard all)
I have to re-listen to Harnoncourt's Bruckner 4 and 9 (don't have his 3 and 7).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal