Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

[OT. Just a question: M forever = M für immer?]
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Varg

Quote from: Jezetha on January 24, 2008, 12:50:20 AM

M für immer is the forum name of another member!! ;D

Sounds pretty alike, eh?!

Now that i think about it, it could be a (german?) translation of M forever. Maybe they're old pals or something!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Varg on January 24, 2008, 01:14:28 AM
M für immer is the forum name of another member!! ;D

Sounds pretty alike, eh?!

Now that i think about it, it could be a (german?) translation of M forever. Maybe they're old pals or something!

Yes, it means exactly the same. And M forever is a German. That's why I'm asking...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

The new erato

maybe I should become Tojours M to add to the confusion.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: erato on January 24, 2008, 02:12:37 AM
maybe I should become Tojours M to add to the confusion.

M forever - M für immer - Toujours M - M para siempre - M voor altijd... Yes, I see how this could go on forever!

M forever

Quote from: Jezetha on January 24, 2008, 12:50:20 AM

I am a little shocked that you confuse me with that little . . . who thiks it's funny to mock some other member's forum name. The completely different quality of the content of the posts should have made it obvious to you that these are two different posters. BTW, "M für immer" is not the correct translation of my member name into German.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: M forever on January 24, 2008, 10:17:05 AM
I am a little shocked that you confuse me with that little idiot who thiks it's funny to mock some other member's forum name. The completely different quality of the content of the posts should have made it obvious to you that these are two different posters. BTW, "M für immer" is not the correct translation of my member name into German.

Sorry to have offended you. Yes, the (knowledgeable) character of your contributions is unmistakable. Btw, how would you translate your name into German then?

M forever

I wasn't offended. I am not easily offended anyway. I will tell you in a PM how that is properly translated. "M für immer" as a name does not make sense in German.

Bonehelm

Quote from: M forever on January 24, 2008, 02:50:18 PM
I wasn't offended. I am not easily offended anyway. I will tell you in a PM how that is properly translated. "M für immer" as a name does not make sense in German.

I changed it, just because I know you still love me.

Steve

What do think of Karajan in is one?

George

Quote from: Steve on January 24, 2008, 08:15:49 PM
What do think of Karajan in is one?

Me don't know, Tarzan.  ;D

Varg

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002-6163712-6096059?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=Bruckner+Celibidache&x=22&y=19

I'm looking for this set, but i cant find it anywhere except on amazon, and since i dont have a credit card, that's not an option. Anyone knows where i can find it?

Keemun

Quote from: Varg on February 27, 2008, 05:12:58 AM
I'm looking for this set, but i cant find it anywhere except on amazon, and since i dont have a credit card, that's not an option. Anyone knows where i can find it?

Barns & Noble has this on its website (albeit more expensively), which means you should be able to go into a local Barnes & Noble store and special order it, paying by your preferred method. 

Another option might be for you to go to a store and purchase a Visa gift card and then use the card to purchase the set on Amazon.com.

Of course, these options require that you live in a place where Barnes & Noble stores are located or Visa gift cards are available.  Good luck, I hope this helps.  :)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Gustav on January 23, 2008, 09:56:23 PM

There are many great 8th recordings. Off the top of my head, two very hard to find yet definitive recordings: Wand's 8th with NDR that was recorded in a church(forgot the name), and the 8th by Sinopoli with S.Dresden. These two are tough to find, so a more practical choice is Giulini's 8th with Wiener Philharmoniker.

I think you mean Luebeck. As in this recording. Yes the recording is fiendishly difficult to find in the States. I found it once on Ebay for about $10 and yes the performance is staggeringly good. It is almost as if Wand reached back for a little bit extra in this one. The dynamic shadings are so nuanced, so palpably layered, that no two phrases sound the same. The great Adagio has that feeling as if time just stops and you are just experiencing, not hearing the sound of heaven.

There is also a 9th at the same church. It is good but not as good as the 8th.

Gustav

Quote from: Keemun on February 27, 2008, 06:21:05 AM
Barns & Noble has this on its website (albeit more expensively), which means you should be able to go into a local Barnes & Noble store and special order it, paying by your preferred method. 

Another option might be for you to go to a store and purchase a Visa gift card and then use the card to purchase the set on Amazon.com.

Of course, these options require that you live in a place where Barnes & Noble stores are located or Visa gift cards are available.  Good luck, I hope this helps.  :)

what a rip-off though, it's not worth that much money! I think another option is just to download from itunes, or get the individual performances (which ironically sells for a much lower price!). Plus, it's a mix-bag, Celi's intepretations are fascinating, and it worked great for the 4th and 8th, the 9th is kind of disappointing, and i don't even remember the rest, so you might want to just get 4th, and if you like what you hear, try to get the rest, either from amazon or ebay.

Gustav

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 27, 2008, 06:33:44 AM
I think you mean Luebeck. As in this recording. Yes the recording is fiendishly difficult to find in the States. I found it once on Ebay for about $10 and yes the performance is staggeringly good. It is almost as if Wand reached back for a little bit extra in this one. The dynamic shadings are so nuanced, so palpably layered, that no two phrases sound the same. The great Adagio has that feeling as if time just stops and you are just experiencing, not hearing the sound of heaven.

There is also a 9th at the same church. It is good but not as good as the 8th.

The church acoustics definitely helped those two recordings. Btw, I think your memory is failing you or something, but, I don't think an rare recording like that (Wand NDR 8th in Luebeck) would only fetch 10 dollars. My estimation is at 30 dollars or more(depending upon the condition of course).

Bonehelm

Anyone know if the Karajan 8th DVD on Sony classics has good sound? I know the performance is definitely a killer but Sony classics don't usually do justice to their DVD recordings...

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Gustav on February 27, 2008, 09:21:35 AM
I don't think an rare recording like that (Wand NDR 8th in Luebeck) would only fetch 10 dollars. My estimation is at 30 dollars or more(depending upon the condition of course).
Well it was BUYNOW at $10 plus some shipping charge. The seller had listed a boaload of stuff for sale, single disc for $5 and duals for $10 . It was in flawless condition. I caught it just about right at the start of the auction otherwise I am sure given a few more minutes someone would have grabbed it.

You'll be surprised to see how much or how little some "rare" recordings would fetch. Giulini's WP 8th is pretty rare (yes you can get it from Japan) but once I saw it listed for $20 and didn't sell. I also saw it in the record stored used for $6 and no one touched it for weeks.

Varg

Quote from: Keemun on February 27, 2008, 06:21:05 AM

It finally appeared on Ebay. I got it new for 150$ shipped!

Thanks for your help.

Gustav

Quote from: Varg on March 01, 2008, 02:54:18 PM
It finally appeared on Ebay. I got it new for 150$ shipped!

Thanks for your help.

wow, i thought no one would buy those over-priced cds, but apparently you did. Well, enjoy the music then, i hope you won't be too disappointed by them.