Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonehelm

Goddang, the grandeur and beauty of Bruckner's chorale is incomparable to any other composer's. Just heard the 5th and the 7th by Wand and BPO, and boy was that soul-touching.

Varg

Quote from: Gustav on March 01, 2008, 03:19:24 PM
wow, i thought no one would buy those over-priced cds, but apparently you did. Well, enjoy the music then, i hope you won't be too disappointed by them.

I'm sure i won't, that's why i paid big money for it. And it's not that bad, since the individual recordings cost around 30$ each, most of them being unavailable anywhere.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Varg on March 01, 2008, 02:54:18 PM
It finally appeared on Ebay. I got it new for 150$ shipped!

Thanks for your help.
Why wouldn't you just buy from Amazon. It sells for $127 and shipping is free as in here.

Or maybe you don't live in the U.S.?

Varg

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on March 01, 2008, 05:21:53 PM
Why wouldn't you just buy from Amazon. It sells for $127 and shipping is free as in here.

Or maybe you don't live in the U.S.?

Because i dont have a credit card.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Varg on March 01, 2008, 05:24:49 PM
Because i dont have a credit card.
Oh, missed that part. So you paid with money order on ebay? That's pretty risky.

rubio

I wonder if I should acquire some of Sanderling's Bruckner. Does anybody here consider him among the top choices for these individual symphonies? And how are his performances interpretation-wise? I generally like this conductor in other repertoire.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Wanderer

Quote from: Perfect FIFTH on February 27, 2008, 09:25:05 PM
Anyone know if the Karajan 8th DVD on Sony classics has good sound? I know the performance is definitely a killer but Sony classics don't usually do justice to their DVD recordings...

I second the question, any comments on this release?

toledobass

Quote from: rubio on March 02, 2008, 12:59:42 AM
I wonder if I should acquire some of Sanderling's Bruckner. Does anybody here consider him among the top choices for these individual symphonies? And how are his performances interpretation-wise? I generally like this conductor in other repertoire.

I haven't heard the others,  but that 7th is one of my favorite performances of that symphony.  It's been a while,  but the things that I like in the performance are all based around pacing of the line and transitions from section to section being effortless and unjarring.  The tempo are excellently thought out and are such that allow the line to breath and bloom while still mainaining some sense of forward motion. 

Sorry I can't offer more, get it though. Excellent music making on that disk.

Allan   

Keemun

Quote from: Varg on March 01, 2008, 02:54:18 PM
It finally appeared on Ebay. I got it new for 150$ shipped!

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. :)  Let us know how you like them.  I only have the 8th symphony from that set.

Quote from: rubio on March 02, 2008, 12:59:42 AM

The 7th is quite good.  Karajan is still my top choice, but this one is not far behind.  Unfortunately, I have not heard the rest. 
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Varg

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on March 01, 2008, 05:32:13 PM
Oh, missed that part. So you paid with money order on ebay? That's pretty risky.

Not really; i'm sending 2-3 money orders a month since 5 years or so and never had any problem.

Varg

Quote from: Gustav on March 01, 2008, 09:22:57 PM
have you listened through it? I don't know, I listened the whole thing, and i thought the 4th and the 8th were very interesting and "must have" performances, the rest are not so memorable.

Again, unless you are a collector, i don't thinik people should pay that much money for it. 150 dollars can get you 2-3 bruckner cycles (with much more interesting interpretations too). By that, meant Wand's cycle (the earlier one), Eichhorn's cycle on Camerata, and either of Jochum's cylces.

I'm not the the kind who needs several different interpretations of a work; usually i'm comparing all the different versions of a work, by listening to hours of samples, and go for my overall favorite (tempo being the most important criteria). It's the music that's important to me, i just have to find the "right recording, based on my personal taste and how a particular work should sound (to me). And, in that case, no one came even close to Celibidache, except maybe for the 9th.

Gustav

Quote from: Varg on March 02, 2008, 08:39:01 AM
I'm not the the kind who needs several different interpretations of a work; usually i'm comparing all the different versions of a work, by listening to hours of samples, and go for my overall favorite (tempo being the most important criteria). It's the music that's important to me, i just have to find the "right recording, based on my personal taste and how a particular work should sound (to me). And, in that case, no one came even close to Celibidache, except maybe for the 9th.

what about the early symphonies? 0,00, 1st, 2nd symphonies?

M forever

Quote from: Wanderer on March 02, 2008, 02:27:10 AM
I second the question, any comments on this release?

The soundtracks on the Sony DVDs are the same ones as the DG releases on CD of the same performances. It even says "soundtrack for a Telemondial film production" or something similar on the back of the DG discs. So whether one considers these recordings as having "good sound" or not, it is basically the same quality on the CD and the DVD.

What is that release pictured above? Are those films, and if so, which ones? Is the 9th with the BP? Was it filmed/recorded in 1985? If so, I will definitely get it since, like I said somewhere above, I was in the concert in which that was filmed, and so far, it had only been available in VHS and on DVD only as Japanese import.

rubio

Has anybody here heard these recordings? Blomstedt and the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig  seems like a good pairing in this music, and it has received some very positive comments over at rmcr.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Wanderer

Quote from: M forever on March 02, 2008, 11:00:14 AM
The soundtracks on the Sony DVDs are the same ones as the DG releases on CD of the same performances. It even says "soundtrack for a Telemondial film production" or something similar on the back of the DG discs. So whether one considers these recordings as having "good sound" or not, it is basically the same quality on the CD and the DVD.

What is that release pictured above? Are those films, and if so, which ones? Is the 9th with the BP? Was it filmed/recorded in 1985? If so, I will definitely get it since, like I said somewhere above, I was in the concert in which that was filmed, and so far, it had only been available in VHS and on DVD only as Japanese import.

As for the Eighth, do you mean this one--)?

As for your other questions, I don't know; I wasn't able to locate any additional info about this DVD online.

M forever

The DG album of Bruckner 8 with the WP pictured above is the same performance as the Sony DVD. The DVD with the 8th and 9th and the b&w pic of HvK is, according to amazon.de, from Sony, too, so that is most likely the same performance of the 8th, and probably (hopefully!) the 9th I mentioned that was filmed live in Berlin in 1985 and previously published by Sony, but only on DVD in Japan.

Wanderer

Quote from: M forever on March 02, 2008, 11:00:14 AM
Is the 9th with the BP? Was it filmed/recorded in 1985?

Yes and yes!  8) It was delivered today, so I can confirm, as is specified in the booklet, that:

Symphony No.9 (BPO) was recorded in November 1985 at the Philharmonie, Berlin.
Symphony No.8 (VPO) was recorded in November 1988 at Grosser Musikvereinsaal, Vienna.

Lilas Pastia

Newly acquired, and in the listening queue: Knappertsbusch recordings of symphonies 3-5 and 7-9. Various orchestras are involved (WP, BPO, Bavarian Opera), and apart from the familiar studio WP 5th, all are live recordings. Recordings date from 1949 - 1956. Fascinating listening in perspective!

Less stellar, but not to be neglected: the Ormandy-Philadelphia 4th anf the Haenchen Netherlands PO 3rd. The Ormandy impresssed me when I heard it at my brother's place a few years ago (much to my surprise, to be honest). I look forward to reacquaint myself with what I found to be a honest, beautifully crafted yet powerful reading. The Haenchen 3rd is an inknown quantity, but if it was recorded in the Concertgebouw, it cannot but flatter what is the netherlands' "second" orchestra.

toledobass

I'm posting about Bruckner's 9th being played by the Toledo Symphony Orchestra this week, here.

Allan

quintett op.57

Although I'm not a believer, I've heard his 2nd mass 4 times this Easter w-end.